• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5e Feign Death for a Swordsage?

Oryan77

Adventurer
I'm using the stats for the 6th lvl Swordsage from Tome of Blood for an NPC conversion of a 2e module.

In this adventure, this NPC is a Wizard going around casting Feign Death on people so the townspeople think the person is dead.

Is there a way that I can imitate this spell effect using a Swordsage without dipping into any other classes?

Buugipopuu

First Post
The 'adaptation' sections of most classes tend to be little more than suggested house rules, so you may as well just make a custom manoeuvre that works like Feign Death. It's not much less plausible to punch someone so hard they look like they're dead than most of the stuff in the Book of Weeaboo Fightan Magic. Could fit into one of several disciplines depending of how it's fluffed. Shadow Hand would put a Necromancy spin on it, while Setting Sun would have it with pressure points or something.

Chances are, if you're going from Wizard to Swordsage, you'll encounter a lot of other problems. There's basically nothing that the two classes have in common. Wizards are Int-based full casters, while Swordsages are Wis-based high intensity melee fighters.

Oryan77

Adventurer
I suppose making a Feign Death maneuver would be easier than using the adaptation method.

I was also interested to see if anyone had ideas to do it via magic items or some way to optimize the use of Use Magic Device so he could be decent at using either a wand or scrolls at 6th level.

3.0 Tome & Blood has the spell as a 3rd level Wiz/Sorc spell. Although it has no save and requires the person to be a willing target.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
My answer to your OP is No.

My suggestion to get around it would be to consider the Ghostwalker PrC from 3.0 Sword and Fist, which get's Feign Death as a class ability.

RogueInRouge

First Post
Oryan77 said:
this NPC is a Wizard going around casting Feign Death on people

My suggestion to get around it would be to consider the Ghostwalker PrC from 3.0 Sword and Fist, which get's Feign Death as a class ability.

A Ghostwalker's Feign Death only affects himself though, so he couldn't be casting on people (as a Wizard can with a willing recipient.)

Remove ads