• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5e] Item Pricing Help

anest1s

First Post
I want to give an item which will give the wearer the opportunity to cast enchantment (charm etc) spells without allowing the target to feel the magical attack on a successful Will Save. [lets name it effect 1]

(for more info page 177 PH, "Succeeding on a Saving Throw")

The item will probably take the form of a mask. I am thinking to make it x uses per day, or something like that.

Also, I am thinking to also add +1 Caster Level for these spells too, later in the game...:hmm:

So what would the price of this item would be if it gave:
-effect 1
-effect 1, +1 CL
-effect 1, +2 CL
-effect 1, +3 CL

Also, what if instead of CL it gave a bonus on save DC?

Thanks in advance...and I would really appreciate it if you explained the prices...since I love making items, and I don't want to bother other ppl every time I do.

Uber Dungeon

First Post
My pricing is based on items in the magic item compendium that grant a continual bonus to caster level of +1 or +2. I would make the ability to have failed enchantment spells unnoticed by the target, always effecting spells cast from the "enchantment school" as it not (in my opinion) particularly over powered .

-effect 1 ----------- 1,000gp
-effect 1, +1 CL----- 2,500gp
-effect 1, +2 CL ---- 6,000gp
-effect 1, +3 CL ---- 8,000gp

jefgorbach

First Post
Generally, items provide specific spell(s) in which case the calc/process is explained at Creating Magic Items :: d20srd.org

Thus a mask which Charms someone the person stares while muttering a command word, 3x daily would be along the lines of:

Charm Person is a 1st level spell with no material or XP costs.

price for a good quality mask, say 1gp
command word: spell level(1) x caster level(1) x 1,800gp
giving us a base price of 1,801gp

Reduce that to reflect the 3x daily limitation: 1,801/(5/3) = 1,078
Charm Person has no material costs, so add nothing.
Charm Person has no XP costs, so add nothing.
Making your final base price 1,078gp per mask.

Crafting is an art-form subject to DM whim, so adjust the actual game price as you see fit using similar items for guidance.

As you can see, the calculations base the Charm effect using a preset CL, so increasing it latter simply reflects using a higher level preset. The Save DC reflects the creator's CL and thus is already factored into the calculations, thus the basic 1st level Charming mask would be 1,078gp per above.
the 2nd level improvement would be: 2,156gp
the +3 CL would be 3,234gp
etc.

Presumably the user would need to sacrifice the equivalent value in some manner in-game to unlock each improvement. ie: adorn the mask with additonal gems/etc worth 1,087gp per improvement, donate it to the creator's diety, slay some specific creature worth that XP, or whatever seems approbriate.

jefgorbach

First Post
Interesting take on his question.

You're right, if Magic can grant an item the ability to cast/duplicate any single spell effect, and temporarily grant any given feat (ie: Bracers Of Arcane Freedom = Still Spell feat) then there really isn't any reason why it couldn't boost ALL spells of a given School.

Just of curiosity, what item(s) did you base your pricing on??

Uber Dungeon

First Post
For the no bonus I felt that ability was worth 1k, No real basis there.

Ring of mystic healing 3,500gp, for the +1 -1,000gp cuz of it having no charges

Boots of big stepping 6,000gp I feel it is basically an equivalent item to what the OP described.

For +3, I didn't have any basis exactly, it was more of a shot in the dark, looking at it I think I would actually make it 9k or 10k cuz i think there should be a bigger jump between +2 and +3.

In any case I figured someone would come and state actual rules. So I just spouted a quick guess at what I'd price it at on the spot.

Remove ads