• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[3.5E] New Revision Spotlight - Mummy and Mummy Lord

Voadam

Legend
Bendris Noulg said:
Still not a template..? Drats.

Guess I'll make my own.

Also check out Relics and Rituals, The Ravenloft Campaign Setting and the upcoming GF Monsters pdf (I wrote the templated mummy in that last one).

Treacherous

First Post
Felon said:
Also, noticed that the revised mummy is both fire-resistant and fire-vulnerable. Might be like this now, but doesn't make much sense. Intuitively, Resistance and vulnerability should be mutually exclusive attributes.

The listed fire resistance is from it's equipment: ring of minor elemental resistance (fire), not a natural mummy ability.

Notice that it has a second level spell called "resist energy" though. Apparently in some places the word "elements" is being replaced by "energy" but not in others?

Also, if I were a Mummy Lord, I'd use that spell immunity for fireball and flame strike, not some fortitude save spell.

Grazzt

Demon Lord
MerricB said:

It's an 18th level character, so should have 7 feats.

It has 6 feats. Perhaps it calculated as Mummy + 10 levels of cleric (+3 feats?)

Something odd here. Can anyone spot the error in my calculations?

Cheers!

10 levels of cleric is still 4 feats. It should have 7 total feats, like you said (3 for its 8 HD plus 4 for class levels). There is an error with the Mummy Lord.

Schmoe

Adventurer
Grazzt said:

10 levels of cleric is still 4 feats. It should have 7 total feats, like you said (3 for its 8 HD plus 4 for class levels). There is an error with the Mummy Lord.

When you add class levels to a race with more than 1 HD, you don't get a feat at 1st level. The racial feats are considered to be your "1st level" feat. So the Mummy Lord would only have three feats from his cleric levels (3rd, 6th, 9th), plus three from the HD from his race, for a total of 6.

Schmoe

Adventurer
EricNoah said:
But from everything I have read and seen, the mummy part should be getting 1 feat for "first level of mummy" as well.

Correct. It gets a feat at 1 HD, at 3 HD, and at 6 HD. It gets a feat at Cleric 3, Cleric 6, and Cleric 9.

Jody Butt

First Post
MerricB said:

The new Mummy has a few interesting changes...

Speed: lists #squares (so 20 ft, 4 squares)

Thanks for the analysis, Merric. I'm most likely out of the loop, but this is the first time I have seen Speed listed as number of squares. Is this the first time you have seen it?

So, it looks like listing Speed as #Squares is one of the ways that 3.5 will encourage use of battlemats/grids and minis/tokens.:(

Jody Butt

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Schmoe said:

When you add class levels to a race with more than 1 HD, you don't get a feat at 1st level. The racial feats are considered to be your "1st level" feat. So the Mummy Lord would only have three feats from his cleric levels (3rd, 6th, 9th), plus three from the HD from his race, for a total of 6.

Doh! You are correct. I knew that. Sorry, had some sort of catastrophic brainfart for a minute.

Schmoe

Adventurer
Grazzt said:

Doh! You are correct. I knew that. Sorry, had some sort of catastrophic brainfart for a minute.

Heh, you would have gotten a much quicker response on the Rules forum. :)

So, aside from minor advancement quibbles, does anyone think that the new mummy is just plain cooler than the old mummy? I do.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads