3.5e Planescape - Cold Black Mask OOC Thread

Zurai

First Post
Ambrus said:
I was thinking of having my character be from a Thayan (or a Thayan colony) gnomish slave population. I figure it'd also help explain the existence of whisper gnomes in the Forgotten Realms; they're of typical rock gnome ancestry, but generations of insular enslavement at the hands of Thayans has helped create a small but distinct society of paranoid and secretive gnomes who "whisper" plans of escape and revolution.

Thay would also make a good place for your character to have studied magic openly, without being ostracized because of his fiendish heritage. There are plenty of Red wizards to have studied under. Perhaps your character's distant ancestors were amongst the Nar mercenaries who served the great Mulhorandi Empire (of which Thay used to be a part) and who were known to summon and bind demons. It'd also make a good locale for an extraplanar gate.

Thay would certainly be a great place to acquire the Collegiate Wizard feat (being the only country with a true magic academy - and not just one! - in Faerun, I believe?), but I had thought the academies were pretty brutal affairs. Thoughts? I'll admit to not being 100% on Faerun material; I havn't played a FR game since AD&D.

Cage-Rattler

First Post
Zurai: [sblock]You can utilize the following as spell-like abilities (as a caster of your character level): Comprehend Languages 1/day; Blur 1/day; Pyrotechinics 3 / week. You also receive a +2 to your saves versus acid.[/sblock]

Ambrus: Hmm, I'm fairly certain it was the bouncer for the Styx Oarsman, found in In the Cage: A Guide to Sigil. I can't be absolutely sure, as a friend of mine commandeered my copy of the book fo the weekend.

Zurai

First Post
Cage-Rattler said:
Zurai: [sblock]You can utilize the following as spell-like abilities (as a caster of your character level): Comprehend Languages 1/day; Blur 1/day; Pyrotechinics 3 / week. You also receive a +2 to your saves versus acid.[/sblock]

Perfect! I'll keep 'em :D

What'd ability score would the DC for Pyrotechnics be based on? Base SLA save is 10 + 1/2 HD + Ability bonus (usually Cha for monsters).

Ambrus

Explorer
Cage-Rattler said:
Hmm, I'm fairly certain it was the bouncer for the Styx Oarsman, found in In the Cage: A Guide to Sigil. I can't be absolutely sure, as a friend of mine commandeered my copy of the book fo the weekend.
According to In the Cage, the Styx's bouncer is an unnamed tiefling. Sorry. I couldn't find any mention of a firearm amongst the rest of the staff either. *shrug* Please let me know if you figure out where you read it; now my Cager curiosity is piqued. ;)

Ambrus

Explorer
Zurai said:
Thay would certainly be a great place to acquire the Collegiate Wizard feat (being the only country with a true magic academy - and not just one! - in Faerun, I believe?), but I had thought the academies were pretty brutal affairs. Thoughts? I'll admit to not being 100% on Faerun material; I havn't played a FR game since AD&D.
There are several FR kingdoms and city-states with magical colleges or associations of one sort or another; Waterdeep, Silverymoon, Halrua and Cormyr to name a few.

Thayan Red Wizard apprenticeship can be pretty hard on prospective students, but I'm sorry, I thought your demon-blooded magic-user could handle a little bloody nose. :p Besides, the rough treatment and nasty in-fighting might provide your character with a good reason to want to flee to another plane of existance. ;)

Zurai

First Post
Ambrus said:
Thayan Red Wizard apprenticeship can be pretty hard on prospective students, but I'm sorry, I thought your demon-blooded magic-user could handle a little bloody nose. :p

Not neccesarily demon-blooded! He prefers to think of it as "storm-touched" :D I'm leaving the source of his tieflingness up to the DM. My objection to a Thayan academy is that I can't see anyone as cheerful as Cinder being a product of a Thayan mage school, honestly, especially with how flighty he is. He's brilliant, which is how he's able to be a wizard at all, but he rarely concentrates on any subject long enough to master it. The exception, of course, is the school of bangs and booms, Evocation. And, I suppose I could spin his Counterfire ability (PHB2 Immediate Magic familiar replacement) as the reason he was able to survive. His parents would have also sent him to one of the least rough-and-tumble academies. So, I guess that could work. The problem now is getting Nac Mac Feegle involved; clerics of Heironeous are pretty scarce in FR, let alone Thay!

Ambrus

Explorer
Well, if you're looking for a more shiny happy people place to study magic then how about Cormyr? You could have been apprenticed to one of that nation's famous War Wizards. My character on the other hand could have journeyed from Thay all the way to Cormyr in his bid for freedom. Starting in Cormyr would also allow us to exploit one of the few known portals between the Forgotten Realms and Sigil, namely that of the World Serpent Inn located in Arabel.

As for Nac Mac Feegle, I'm certain we can find him a good FR equivalent god for Heironeous; such as Helm, Torm, Tyr or Illmater. Cormyr being a good and lawful country, I would think his cleric character would fit right in.

Dire Lemming

First Post
Early firearms were pretty much useless for anything other than scaring horses and maiming yourself with when they exploded in your hands. Go ahead. :D

So I'm thinking my character is in some sort of work that involved interaction with people. ( :eek: ) I have a name for him now. Anthony Orchidaceae. I guess he could be a tout, that would give him a good reason to meet the other PCs, but that line of work doesn't seem to lend itself much to adventure or intrigue. He could always be at the right place at the right time I guess. That could work for catching the three clueless. Though I'm not sure how he'd meet with the planers. He wouldn't normally be too interested in banging around with someone as senselessly violent as the spiker. If he was in any faction it would be the Sensates as even though their beliefs aren't really the same as his, they seem to be one of the the least overbearing factions that are still interesting. Of course if he's a Hiver that might not work so well. Anyone got some suggestions?

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
As for the firearms, you're talking to someone who put Chaositech in her games. Firearms be cool with me.

I'll see if I can't get Pierce done on Sunday morning after I get off of work.

Remove ads