• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5e Rogue/Cleric

Viashimo

First Post
For a recent game I've decided (and built) a rogue/cleric character.

I'd like to hear if the community's thoughts on how to be build a similarly classed build, or if you want, comments on the work I've done.

What I have now:
Rogue 2 / Cleric 3 (starting level is 5)
Whisper Gnome
10/16/12/14/16/10 for stats
skills
balance 5, climb 2, concentration 6, disable device 3, escape artist 3, forgery 3, hide 5, jump 2, knowledge (religion) 2, move silently 5, open lock 3, search 3, sense motive 2, spell craft 4, spot 2, swim 2, tumble 5
feats: weapon finesse, telling blow, blasphemous incantation (replaces turn undead from EoE), feign death (replaces uncanny dodge, from EoE).

commonly perpared spells: bewildering vision, bewildering substitution, imvisibility, prot from good, cause fear, hide from undead, blade of blood, summon holy symbol, read magic, detect magic

-------------

Why did I do this?
Originally, for some of the RP for the campaign I had decided to go evil [the party is probably mostly good/neutral]. I wanted to be a sort of undercover agent for an evil church of sorts and try to either found or connect with chapters throughout my travels.

Unfortunately, the DM (even after a couple sessions) hasn't given me any information really about the world except that I probably came from some place like a little farming halfing hamlet near a bigger human farming community. Yay. So I'm feeling a bit RP nerfed, and this build isn't the strongest mechanically (my group tends towards slightly "stronger" builds in general - thought this is not always true).

To be honest, of all the characters I've tried to take from concept to paper this has been mechanically the most challenging for me. Some interesting prestige options aren't available to evil characters (eg Shadowbane Inquisitor) without tweaking them and doing that frustrates our newbie DM.

Where I was taking the character mechanically:
I boiled it down to a couple combos involving a set of feaths
A) get in there and do rogue damage
Weapon Finesse, Weapon focus or imp crit, Deft Opportunist, Combat reflexes, Telling Blow
B) while getting in there cast annoying spells on the go
Mobile Spellcasting, Steady Concentration

I had considered other stuff including using Charnel Miasma / Intimidating Strike combo to terrorize foes.

As a 'subtle' alignment based character I want to prevent my game from being given away by some other caster accidentally going 'detect alignment' but that does involve taking at least one feat.

Thanks for taking the time reading this, and for any comments any of you may have.

--
Viashimo

Shin Okada

Explorer
I played Rogue 2/Cleric 3/Shadowbane Stalker for a campaign. Even though Shadowbane Stalker is better than simple Rogue/Cleric multiclass, he had hard time hitting enemy AC with melee weapons. His BAB is no good even comparing to that of straight rogue. And as he could not concentrate on raising Dex (both by leveling up and by magic item) as he also needed Wis. Thus, his melee attack mod was miserable.

But he had magic domain and that helped his combat capability much. He could use wands of Sor/Wis attack spells. Of course, wand of magic missile and wand of fireball are good. But also, wand of shocking grasp, chill touch, lessor orb, etc. allowed him to inflict sneak attack damage via melee/ranged touch attacks. Due to his combat style, Quick Draw feat (and Glove of Storing) helped much.

He was mainly the "problem solver" of the party. As a rogue in a dungeon delving party, he eventually bought Belt of Dwarvenkind for Stonecunning.

His favorite choice of 2nd-level spell was Divine Insight (Complete Divine/Spell Compendium). With this spell, he could even disable magic traps without much trouble. This spell also helps when he need to beat very high tumble check when moving into (or out of) combat.

Viashimo

First Post
I like the idea of using Divine Insight. Handy for bumping all those skills that suffer from multiclassing.

I should note that I originally thought of doing a necromancer to fill this role, but they are a burden to play and fairly obnoxious (and obvious). Not to mention they need pretty specific builds to do well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Some things...

1) What is your cleric's faith & domains...and their relevant powers?

2) Spells like Darkness are your friend. Don't forget the Harm spells either.

3) You don't have to be evil to be a rogue/Clc.

4) I agree with the Combat Reflexes tree for a high-Dex PC.

Last edited:

Runestar

First Post
If you have complete champion and a fairly permissive DM, perhaps you can consider the mythic exemplar prc from complete champion?

It will require you to houserule the part about being a member of the disciples of legend and following Dardallion though.

It is the only one I am aware of which improves spellcasting and sneak attack (albeit slowly), and gives 4+int mod skill points/lv.

I will skip combat reflexes though. Having more AoOs is useful only if you know that you can force your foes into provoking them.

Viashimo

First Post
Some things...
3) You don't have to be evil to be a rogue/Clc.

The point of being evil in this case was for a bit of RP thing in the world, that has kind of been ignored at this point. I could have easily done a good / neutral clr/rogue

The domains I currently have are Evil and Trickery.

I really like the Mystic Exemplar and the Divine Trickster and will probably spend the next couple hours thinking of which one is better (or perhaps more specifically, which combination of the two is better). Of course that all depends on the DM to grant me flexibility to take those.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

EDIT: Unless I take away Blasphemous Incantation I cannot use Divine Trickster since I won't have turn undead as an ability.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads