• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5e] What's the most broken character under the new rules?

ascendance

First Post
Okay, I know everyone's at least skimmed through the new rules or the SRD. What's the most broken character you can design under the new rules? You have 10 levels.

Simplicity

Explorer
ascendance said:
Okay, I know everyone's at least skimmed through the new rules or the SRD. What's the most broken character you can design under the new rules? You have 10 levels.

I can design a broken party far more easily than a broken character. Imagine a party of four wizards with four shocker lizard familiars. 8d6 damage a round just from from their familiars. Now that's pretty awesome.

coyote6

Adventurer
I would expect something with Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, and a spiked chain.

You could substitute some other trippy reach weapon (gets you those extra AoOs and that double Power Attack damage), and probably get better critical hits (if not damage); but spiked chain lets you trade a feat (Exotic WP) for 5'-10' reach, which can be quite handy.

However, the real powergaming will have to wait for the 3.5e splatbooks; once the Complete Warrior is out (and maybe the D&D Minis book, too), then we'll see real smackdowns.

Willtell

First Post
--

Dwarven fighter 1/cleric6/cleric prestiage class3

With con and wis of 16 (and the iron will feat) the dwarf has base saves against magic of fort +15/reflex +3/will +15, Bab +7/+2, hps 85, casts spells as a 9th lvl cleric.

James McMurray

First Post
Re: --

Willtell said:
Dwarven fighter 1/cleric6/cleric prestiage class3

With con and wis of 16 (and the iron will feat) the dwarf has base saves against magic of fort +15/reflex +3/will +15, Bab +7/+2, hps 85, casts spells as a 9th lvl cleric.

How is this broken? High saves is nice, but certainly not worth blowing a feat to increase a +13 to a +14 at 10th level.

Monk 1/Wizard 4/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 10/Archmage 3 (Spell Power +6)

Access to 9th level arcane and divine spells at ECL 20, spells known/per day as a 17th level wizard and 19th level Ur-Priest. Cast spells as a 23rd level wizard and 25th level Ur Priest, I suggest spell penetration and greater spell penetration as well. :)

Edit-that's 20 levels, my bad, didn't read the whole part of the initial post. A toned down version of that would be, Monk 1/Wiz 4/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 3, cast 5th level divine spells (caster level 10) and 4th level arcane spells (caster level 7)

Last edited:

Pax

Banned
Banned
Re: Re: [3.5e] What's the most broken character under the new rules?

Simplicity said:
I can design a broken party far more easily than a broken character. Imagine a party of four wizards with four shocker lizard familiars. 8d6 damage a round just from from their familiars. Now that's pretty awesome.

Four Sorcerors, each with Leadership and one-level-lower "apprentices".

That's EIGHT shocker lizards for SIXTEEN d6 damage per round.

:D

Zoelef

First Post
Sollir Furryfoot said:
Monk 1/Wizard 4/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 10/Archmage 3 (Spell Power +6)

3.5 Archmage - Spell Power:
Raises your effective Caster Level by one for variables in spells you cast (range, dice damage, caster-level checks). Costs a 5th level slot.

Not that it's necessarily a bad idea, just wanted to point that out.

Uh, how does that effect my build?

Edit-Oh, nm, it only slightly hurts it-if it can be taken multiple times. Otherwise, another PrC could easily be used.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads