• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E [3.P] Need help with some crossbreeds

ImperatorK

First Post
For the purpose of my games I tied together some races. Catfolk (PF version) isn't a separate race, but a crossbreed of a human and an anthropomorphic cat or a tabaxi (a slightly stronger version of catfolk). Tabaxi is a crossbreed of a human and an anthro big cat (like lion, tiger, cheetah, leopard, etc., they all use the same tabaxi stats for simplicity).
Now I'm looking for races that could be refluffed as crossbreeds of humans and the other anthro animals. For example anthro lizards could produce lizardfolk (what race or template is good for a human/lizardfolk crossbreed?). Any ideas for the rest?

Kinak

First Post
Personally, I'd split off the reptilian races into their own family tree or include some in-world reason that humans can breed with absolutely everything, but if it doesn't bother you, run with it.

The only reptilian races statted up for Pathfinder that I'm familiar with are kobolds and nagaji (both in the Advanced Race Guide). Neither's a perfect fit, really.

The serpentfolk are probably a good race for a weird reptilian progenitor, though. Nagas are already potentially related to the nagaji and dragons to kobolds, so that family tree could be constructed pretty easily.

Cheers!
Kinak

Celebrim

Legend
Yuan Ti are the definitive reptile progenitors of human halfbreeds, though they are 'snake folk' rather than lizard folk. But perhaps snake + humanoid = 'Lizard'. Sahuagin are the usual progenitors of human fish hybrids.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Any animal-like quasi-human "race" could be the true-breeding result of mixing an animal with a particular polymorphic species*, with any variances between the various types of...say...cat people down to their particular shapeshifting ancestor. This would make them much more closely related than they might first appear, but would eliminate the need for multiple stages of interbreeding between species that still somehow are- against all odds- not sterile.

* and by that, I mean make it one single species.

Last edited:

ImperatorK

First Post
The thing is, I want there to be multiple stages of interbreeding. And I don't have any problems with explaining why such different races can breed. I mean, it's a magical, fantasy world. Anything can breed with anything because Magic.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It can still happen.

Think of the polymorphic species as somewhat analogous to the vampire Clans of V:tM: all Brujah have certain similar characteristics; ditto all Malkavians, Toreadors, etc.

So...all of the "tauriic" species would have the same polymorphic ancestor, regardless of other animal type. All of the animal-headed species would likewise share a common polymorphic antecedent. And so on with the ones who are more like Awakened critters, etc...even the ones retaining the shape-shifter ability.

And since they would all have shared ancestry with the polymorphic species, they'd be as closely related as half-orcs and half-elves in standard D&D...

ImperatorK

First Post
That's nice and all, but not what I'm asking for. I already said that explaining the crossbreedings isn't an issue. I'm only looking for suggestions on what creatures or templates to use as those crossbreeds.

Remove ads