3 Sure-Fire Ways to Run A Successful Horror Adventure!

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Re: The best way to perfect Horror Roleplaying:

The Cardinal said:
1. buy GURPS Horror 3e (by Kenneth Hite himself)
2. read
3. enjoy
4. apply
Heh. Did that yesterday. So far, I haven't reached point 4., though. :)

And yeah, buy this book even if you don't play GURPS - I heartily recommend it.

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Corollary

Never permit the game to degenerate into "mere" combat. The players should always feel as if their character's lives, sanity, wholeness, togetherness (lumped all together, why not call it "safety") is hanging by a thread. This is especially true if the characters soundly outclass their opponents... they should never be sure that they do.

Example: Instead of "the ghoul misses you," try the following:

The beast gazes at you hungrily... and strikes! It leaps onto your shield, dragging it to the ground. You manage to wrest your shield out of the beast's grasp, but not before its tongue lashes out at you... this two-foot-long appendage actually brushes your face, and you smell the rot of old, old death on it... the beast's eyes widen with some twisted kind of pleasure as it makes a sound... you think you heard it say "yummy," but you can't be sure.... Who's up next?

Last edited:

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Re: Corollary

Marius Delphus said:
this two-foot-long appendage actually brushes your face, and you smell the rot of old, old death on it... the beast's eyes widen with some twisted kind of pleasure as it makes a sound... you think you heard it say "yummy," but you can't be sure.... Who's up next?

LOL... eeeeeeeeewwwww!!! Icky. :eek:

Ds Da Man

First Post
Thanks for a lot of the sugestions friends. Soon, I will be trying the first attempt at CoC (some minor mods made to the rules, of course.)

Pigeon

First Post
[1) Whenever a player asks you a question and you want to throw them off-balance (engendering feelings of fear and confusion), simply answer them with "appears to be," "seems to be" or "you think it is." [/B]

We have a GM who does this. Be warned it can be overused - everytime he says:

"you are in what appears to be a 10 foot by 15 foot room"

There is a unanimous and sarcastic cry from the players:

"but what is it really?!"

Everything can become a cleche (sp) if it is over used.

The Cardinal

First Post
Re: Get this book

Ayrk said:
If you are even remotely interested in running a horror game of any kind, you must go out and buy Ken Hite's Nightmares of Mine . It was published jointly by ICE and Chaosium, and should be fairly easy to find.

well, it *is* out of print - and since the rights reverted back to Ken after ICE went downhill, most of his stuff from NoM (and more!) can now be found in the shiny new GURPS Horror 3e!

Remove ads