• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3 years after 3.0 - race/class combinations.

der_kluge

Adventurer
So, it's been 3 years since 3.0 came out. And with 3.0, the concept of race/class combinations was eliminated. That is, only humans could be paladins, and dwarves couldn't be wizards.

So, I'm curious. We've been through two campaigns, and we're starting our third, and I've not seen anyone defy those old 2nd edition conventions?

That is, in our first game, we had more humans than anything. I played a gnome priest/wizard, but I'm pretty sure that was allowed in 2nd edition, anyway. The only other non-human was a half-elf ranger. Pretty standard stuff there.

Second campaign, nothing oddball. Elven ranger/monk. Which, I guess that's kind of unusual, but there wasn't any monks in 2nd edition, so can't compare that to anything.

So, any Elf Paladins, or Dwarven sorcerers in your games?

randomling

First Post
Yup! :D

I've actually played an Elf paladin, which was quite fun. And the newest character in our Planescape campaign is a Dwarven necromancer.

He's scary.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Race/class combos I've seen in 3e games that defied 2e conventions? Here goes...

Dwarf barbarian, dwarf paladin, half-orc wizard, gnome ranger, halfling barbarian, halfling paladin, halfling evoker, and gnome monk.

d4

First Post
in the campaign i'm currently playing in, we've got a dwarf barbarian, a dwarf sorcerer, and a gnome druid.

as a DM, i've used a dwarf wizard, gnoll rangers, a gnome bard (pre-3.5!), an ogre paladin, and goblin sorcerers as NPCs.

i think it remains true that certain races are better suited for certain classes. so that while the options have been expanded greatly, there are still usually only a handful of good choices for each race.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Let me see:

I saw an elf evoker, a gnome necromancer (but I don't know about this one), an elven bard (which was the single most stupid restriction) and an ogre bard.

Tyler Do'Urden

Soap Maker
My first 3e characters were elven Bards (specifically a Bard/Fighter and a Bard/Fighter/Ranger). I always thought that restricting Elves from being Bards, a very appropriate class, was silly to begin with, so I made use of my new-found freedom. :)

Other interesting ones:

Halfling Necromancer- he went around in robes and a giant fedora, looking something like a FF Black Mage. He died on his second adventure. :(

Gnome Druid- the gnomes in my setting are more sophisticated than most, and are meant to resemble the colonial british. This fellow was a "veternarian" sent by the Gnomish high command to help treat the medical ailments of a "Barren Griffon"- only to realize that the beast was actually a human being, the Baron Gryphon of Ellenese. The hapless doctor ended up becoming a diplomat by mistake!

Half-Orc Monk- Enough said. He didn't survive his first adventure.

Human Cleric/Psion/Ranger- You couldn't pull stuff like that in 2e. No sirree. Unless you had extremely good stats and a lot of XP to burn, anyway. :)

My latest character is a Dwarven Paladin. I hope to get him up to fifth level, so he can get his mount- a Dire Warthog named Thunderbolt. :)

brun

First Post
let's see:
- halfling bard
- human wizard
- human fighter
- human ranger
- human paladin
- human monk
- elven druid
- human fighter/thief
- human fighter no.2
- dwarven fighter
- elf ranger
- half-elf fighter/thief
That's it in my games. Pretty much 2nd edition, but I must say that I enphasized cultural "norms".

In a forgotten realms game, I've seen
- elven fighter/wizard/bladesinger
- elven/fighter/wizard/arcane archer
- elven sorcerer
- human psion
- half-elf fighter/ranger/barbarian
- dwarven cleric
- elven thief
Again, 2nd edition standards.

I, as a DM, have used the a mighty dwarven lich wizard gone Evil to explain the dwarve's distrust of magic in general.

Thanee

First Post
Halfling Rogue/Ranger
Elf Rogue/Wizard (also my favorite in 2nd Edition, Elf Magic-User/Thief :))
Elf Rogue/Fighter/Wizard
Halfling Rogue/Wizard
Elf Rogue/Cleric (still active)
Human Sorcerer (started today)

Hmm... does it show, that I like skillmongers and spellcasters? :rolleyes:

Bye
Thanee

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Thanee said:
Halfling Rogue/Ranger
Elf Rogue/Wizard (also my favorite in 2nd Edition, Elf Magic-User/Thief :))
Elf Rogue/Fighter/Wizard
Halfling Rogue/Wizard
Elf Rogue/Cleric (still active)
Human Sorcerer (started today)

Hmm... does it show, that I like skillmongers and spellcasters? :rolleyes:

Not really :D

I must confess that I like those best, too. And elves, of course (I see they aren't exactly hated by you, too).

The best, of course, is an elf arcane trickster :D

Remove ads