• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3D art progs for RPG use (art or mapping)

Long time ago, I got into using digital art, originally for making NPC faces on my old Amiga. but died away..then got into it again with Baldurs Gate PC game, on forums there, a friend posted Bryce art...which made me jaw drop, lol, and been into that kind of thing ever since.

Creating art for hand outs to players, be it dungeon maps, NPCs or visualizations, is really helpful.
This is my homebrew campaign section of my site
http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com/erynavar/htm/erynavar_1.htm
kepe meaning ot update it, sigh.
Anyway, I've used varying apps over the years to create things for my D&D sessions (as DM).

Such as the GNOLL MINE, I used bryce to visualize it.
Hobgoblin Fortress I used Rhino to completely map it out in 3D.
Campaign Cartographer2 for main region maps.
Landscapes were done in Mojoworld.

Lots of different apps out there to use. My main ones are Vue Infinite and Poser (for scenes of all kinds and creatures/props).
Rhino for making models.
Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop for 2d work.
Mojoworld for "alien or unusual" landscapes.
(also have Zbrush and Lightwave, but don't use them much currently,and my stuff is all legit, fyi. art n' dnd are my thing :) )

There's lots of different apps out there, some free, bryce 5.5 is free for instance. WIth apps it's always more important to find out what you ENJOY using than what everyone "tells you is best, sexy, pro!" :p
Power doesn't matter a damn if you dont' enjoy creating in it.
Carrara, DazStudio are other ones.
I knwo some folk may say "MAYA!", but Maya and it's ilk are ridiculously bloody expensive for amatuers to pay for, lol, however most "big" apps have a "personal learnng edition", which is free, just adds watermarks etc to the image.
I know Vue and Maya have PLE versions, Lightwave too? MAX I don't touch as i'ts just crazy expensive etc.

There are two very interesting landscape maker apps: GeoControl and WOrld Machine that make cool landscapes you can use in Bryce, Vue etc.

Note you can make your own landscapes, to simulate your maps or designs in most decent 3d apps, by painting a greyscale, that is black and white, image to use as a "height map".
So you could create "the kings castle" hill, and then drop a castle 3d model on top to exactly be like your idea.

just a thought :)

Last edited:

Remove ads