• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3D battlemats with DI?

Frostmarrow

First Post
It must be entirely possible to make 3D battlemats with the DI mapping software. That's pretty cool. We could have combats on terraces overlooking plazas, combats in winding staircases, and even in the rig of a ship. What do you think?

Frostmarrow

First Post
frankthedm said:
heh, I'd like to see this, but that is something most D&D PC games can't handle IIRC.

Yeah, but that's because they can't be bothered animating stair-climbing variants of all possible models. That's not a problem in DI as all models are being lifted by an invisible hand where ever they go.

Obviously you can't have custom models climbing up and down the rigging of a ship. But you could have 2x1 squares on a layer placed above the regular mat to create a faux 3D effect.

It would be nice to have a fight in the Infinite Staircase and have the computer make it go on and on.

takasi

First Post
MapTool is a thousand times better than drawing on a tabletop map or using tiles, and it's 2D.

I hope WotC keeps it simple, or I'll just keep using MapTool.

Frostmarrow

First Post
skeptic said:
Flying is hard to do.

Climbing is "impossible".

What we have seen so far indicate that none of the models acually walk. They are digital stands that can be placed anywhere on the digital battlemat. They don't look like they are restrained by speed. The DM just selects a model and a square and the model lifts over to it.

marune

First Post
By climbing is impossible, I mean it's "impossible" to represent it right using a classic battlemap because the squares your moving on doesn't exits.

The flying problem is easier to solve (with an altitude tag) unless multiple, different sized, creatures are on same x, y, but different z.

Another problem with the z axis, is the need to do trigonometry to figure out if a spell can reach the target.

Last edited:

frankthedm

First Post
Frostmarrow said:
What we have seen so far indicate that none of the models acually walk. They are digital stands that can be placed anywhere on the digital battlemat. They don't look like they are restrained by speed. The DM just selects a model and a square and the model lifts over to it.
Problem is it has to be coded to have a 3d environment and elevations.

Meloncov

First Post
skeptic said:
Another problem with the z axis, is the need to do trigonometry to figure out if a spell can reach the target.

I can't think of any situation where you would need more than the Pythagorean Therom, assuming you know both altitudes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads