• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3D printer - gaming applications?

HandofMystra

First Post
I might be getting access to a 3D printer in the future. I was trying to think of gaming applications. My first idea is to make miniatures. Here are some Lego fig copies. They were 4X in size but I think this is to accommodate being able to be assembled and the parts to move. I had this idea of scanning in a miniature that I liked and putting my face on it. Here is a link for 40k Dreadnought.
. Here is a dragon head Since they are rather expensive, I could see making custom miniatures. I would like to be able to print out a colored miniature then I think that I could consider making vanity miniatures (eg your face on the Hulk's body). Are there any other thoughts?

Sean-Khan

First Post
I'm really interested in seeing what 3D printers will bring into gaming hobbies. I have an impression that the printers are still quite pricey? I haven't paid more attention to them but maybe one day I'll get one... Especially when some day there will be ones that will add colors to the printed pieces, and the printers and their materials will become more affordable.

Sure, miniatures are the first things that come to my mind. Also, terrain features and other props come to my mind - also vehicles (MC's with riders especially) come to my mind.

I wrote an article about future of miniatures gaming in my game development blog, if you're in interested in reading it. The follow-up discussion so far is unfortunately in Finnish.

Remove ads