3D Printing the Elven Man-O-War from Spelljammer!

Janx

Hero
at current costs, you'd be talking several HUNRED pounds to build that, I sure as heck can't afford that!
Cost £25 to build that little one.
but prices are plummeting as it's new tech :)

few years from now it will be much cheaper

How much is 25 whatchamcallits in American? I assume that was pounds and pounds is sort of like dollars but not. Which is a lot of money for a small plastic thing made of WeedWhacker string (no really, it's the same plastic).

I got a friend with a MakerSpace subscription in Austin, TX. I bet it's more like $5-6 here for the supplies from the shop.

Nellisir

Hero
How much is 25 whatchamcallits in American? I assume that was pounds and pounds is sort of like dollars but not. Which is a lot of money for a small plastic thing made of WeedWhacker string (no really, it's the same plastic).

I got a friend with a MakerSpace subscription in Austin, TX. I bet it's more like $5-6 here for the supplies from the shop.

$40.19 at current exchange rates. Different machines use different materials, but that does seem like a lot.

Homicidal_Squirrel
Like, suitable.for.figures? Several hundred pounds as it would be big may need muitiple parts etc
But prices and quality are improving rapidly just wait :)

1412984636356.jpg

:)
As said not good paint job but my hands are stuffed nowadays

$40.19 at current exchange rates. Different machines use different materials, but that does seem like a lot.

They used nylon so was suitable for gaming and hey convenient and high on google lol, first time I've tried this! ;)

They charge per print not per material used, so if I wanted to break model down into parts I'm sure I could get at least 4 from one print, but, pain to redesign, and I'd worry about strength
Ie, base, 2 stand poles, 2 wings, body, assemble and glue the parts
Can fit lot of those.into.6cm cube of printer volume

They used nylon so was suitable for gaming and hey convenient and high on google lol, first time I've tried this! ;)

They charge per print not per material used, so if I wanted to break model down into parts I'm sure I could get at least 4 from one print, but, pain to redesign, and I'd worry about strength

Janx

Hero

You may be at their mercy, but the "usual" material is the same stuff weed eater's use. The cost is pretty cheap. And strikes me as sufficient for making gaming pieces.

Nylon's a slightly different material, so I'm guessing they have a newer/pricier machine. Mostly the limits on materials used are the extruders.

One question for your actual model, is the wings. Can you make the edges sharper, rather than squared off? It would make it look more like actual wings, than having blunt edges. It might be a limitation of how they were printed, but it'd improve the model.

Remove ads