• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3e Character Advancement Too Fast?

What do you think about the speed at which characters advance in levels in 3e?

• Way too fast

Votes: 61 24.5%
  • A little too fast

Votes: 96 38.6%
  • Just right

Votes: 78 31.3%
  • A little too slow

Votes: 13 5.2%
  • Way too slow

Votes: 1 0.4%

Zerakon

First Post
It seems to me that the 3e experience point and levelling system is too generous. Just wondering if I am in the minority on this. Maybe this is an old topic, but I'm just getting into 3e now.

-- Zerakon the Game Mage

MarauderX

Explorer
Depends on the DM, really, as challege ratings can't make up for better critter tactics, puzzles, saving the princess, etc. I think it's a little fast compared to OD&D of course, but that's just me...

JoeGKushner

First Post
I voted a little too fast.

I enjoy characters in the low to mid levels and that's basically one or two adventurers these days.

Then again, that was part of 2nd ed's structure and I know my players hated that. "Man, how many dragons do we have to kill go gain a level?"

Gothmog

First Post
Way too fast for my taste. I know most people play short campaigns (<1 year), but I always run longer (3+) year campaigns. It seems to me that the way 3E has advancement, a character hardly has time to explore and utilize their new abilities before they advance again. My solution was to ditch the CR/XP system and only give XP for story awards and roleplaying with a slower advancement rate (about 1 level per 3-5 adventures).

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
I just ran a couple sessions, and I'm now in the camp of "slightly too fast." If I had given out every single XP for all the monsters killed (there were many), and for all the roleplaying (there was a lot), then they might have made two levels. Cutting the XP in half was still too much. I cut it just short of a quarter, then added in some miscelleneous, and they still made a level (which was fine).

Yeah, it was a long, busy session, and if it been spread out over a few days I would have let them have it all, but as it stood...

Arnwyn

First Post
Way too fast if you follow the DMG standard, IMO.

Just like Hellhound above, I run my game with a 1/2 XP multiplier.

Melan

Explorer
The default is way too fast for me. Since I don't like level 10+ adventures all that much, I had to house rule XP progression in my campaign.

nsruf

First Post
I voted "just right". Before I got heavily into D&D, I mostly played games like GURPS or Shadowrun where you can improve your PC a little bit after each adventure, and I having to wait for much longer until something changes seems boring to me. In fact, I would be tempted to change characters more often to get at some of the other options.

I use a homebrew XP system that results in one level-up every 3-4 sessions (i.e. its is scaled to the recommended speed of advancement), and play in one campaign with standard XP where it takes more like 4-5 sessions since we have a lot of inter-party banter and such. Both seems about right, given that my own game is scheduled every two weeks and the other one is weekly.

Remove ads