• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3E conversion question

Belbarid

First Post
I'm in the process of converting my 3e group to 4e. Mostly this has gone okay, but there are two abilities that I just don't know what to do with.

First is for the dwarven Fighter/Barbarian. Due to the fact that I use Midnight's Heroic Paths (which tend to convert rather easily), and the fact that he took the feat Greater Resiliency, he has DR of something like 5/-. Given the way damage and HP have been scaled for 4E, I'm hesitant to mess with things like damage or damage resistance. Any suggestions?

The second is for a former Ninja/Swordsage (and OMG was that one a pain to convert). He has the Midnight feat Canny Strike. Canny Strike has two prerequisites- Weapon Finesse and Clever Fighting, which is a Midnight feat that allows you to add your Dex to damage rather than your strength. As this character is now a Rogue and has the effects of Weapon Finesse and Clever Fighting, he wants to use Canny Strike, which adds 1d4 damage per point of INT bonus to all strikes. The usual suspects excluded (undead, golems, etc). Again, though, I'm hesitent to mess with damage.

Any thoughts? And if your opinion is "Sorry, you can't have it", could you please explain why?

TIA

Kaelkatar

First Post
If he is playing the rogue, why not allow him to use sly flourish but change the CHA mod to INT?

As for the Damage reduction, thats hard to implement as DR is very hard to come across. I think passive is overpowered, and even Resist physical: 1 as a passive ability would have to come at some kind of expense.

A Level 2 Utility like this might be balanced:

Damage Reduction:
Daily * Martial, Stance
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Gain Resist All 3

If you want to make it a higher level utility, up the resist gained, just don't overdo it.

Belbarid

First Post
If he is playing the rogue, why not allow him to use sly flourish but change the CHA mod to INT?

As for the Damage reduction, thats hard to implement as DR is very hard to come across. I think passive is overpowered, and even Resist physical: 1 as a passive ability would have to come at some kind of expense.

A Level 2 Utility like this might be balanced:

Damage Reduction:
Daily * Martial, Stance
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Gain Resist All 3

If you want to make it a higher level utility, up the resist gained, just don't overdo it.

Hadn't thought of making DR a Utility power- I like the idea.

Thanks

Stalker0

Legend
For the dwarven fighter, you could also recommend the toughness and durable feats to represent raw physical awesomeness.

I think the idea of changing sly flourish from cha to int is a solid idea. Heck probably changing artful dodger from cha to int would be fine. The rogue already has a high dex so losing cha to gain int isn't exactly a broken tradeoff, in fact it's probably underpowered.

But you can pick up things like the jack of all trades feat, to make a truely skillful rogue.

DracoSuave

First Post
Heck, the heavy fighter/barbarian archtype is pretty well handled already by two-handed fighter rules. DR itself might not be in there, but don't forget that things like Temporary Hps and Regeneration (stuff in the Fighter power list) make for excellent substitutes.

That One Guy

First Post
Okay, souhhh... 2 coppers.

For ye olde dwarven barb, make sure he gets a 'serker weapon asap. Or, if need be do the suggested utility thing for him w/ the weapon's power as a basis.

For the rouge, I'd say another possible idea would be giving him something that allows him to do a brutal scoundrel type of sneak attack, but w/ int mod. Maybe make it once per encounter or a utility stance. The d4/int mod seems a bit too powerful, but that's only because I can't think of anything that is d/stat mod. Maybe make it the rogue can add their int mod on crits? Something like that shouldn't be too over-powered.

Belbarid

First Post
Okay, souhhh... 2 coppers.

For ye olde dwarven barb, make sure he gets a 'serker weapon asap. Or, if need be do the suggested utility thing for him w/ the weapon's power as a basis.

I'm not quite sure what you're driving at here. How does his weapon fit into the picture?

For the rouge, I'd say another possible idea would be giving him something that allows him to do a brutal scoundrel type of sneak attack, but w/ int mod. Maybe make it once per encounter or a utility stance. The d4/int mod seems a bit too powerful, but that's only because I can't think of anything that is d/stat mod. Maybe make it the rogue can add their int mod on crits? Something like that shouldn't be too over-powered.

And that's my big hangup with this. I can't think of anything in 4E (not that I'm an expert) that gives extra damage dice based on an attribute. In 3E it's not so much a problem- everyone has lots of HP and even a very intelligent character is only adding an average of 8 damage to a strike. In 4E, that 8 might just be too much. I like the idea of basing his Sly Flourish off of Int rather than Cha, and I really like the idea of adding his Int to SA damage, a la Brutal Scoundrel.

I think I'm going to do both. Just let him base Sly Flourish off of Int, and have Canny Strike add Int to Sneak Attack damage.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads