• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3e was a failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreyLord

Legend
Another thread got me thinking about how successful D&D really is. One of the complaints about the first two portions of an article it discussed was that it hit 4e and other editions hard with criticism, but treated 3.X with kids gloves in comparison to the harshness it gave over to the other systems.

Now 3e was a pretty big success and still a very big impact on the RPG scene today (just look at Pathfinder for example), but I wanted to see what is the harshest criticism that could be levelled at 3e.

When taking that approach, I think when one sees it's biggest criticism, 3e could actually be seen as one of the biggest failures of D&D rather than it's biggest success. It set an example for how 4e was to be released (stop printing the previous edition (s) (AD&D/D&D) and instead put out your own game/house ruled version and call it D&D instead...), which also in the same light could be seen as a drastic failure also. It set up the path of what eventually turned up the creation of 4e, a splintering of the community to be perhaps at the worst splinter ever (even with 2e, I don't think we had people willing to shed blood over the differences of who liked what game better), and even worse, the current lack of legal means to buy new versions of older editions (even in 2e they had a release pocket sized] of 1e books, and 2e had the grandfather clause as well as almost seamless backwards compatibility with AD&D (via aforementioned grandfather clause) and D&D. It set the trail of what has now become our current situation.

3e had an awesome opportunity to begin anew what had occurred before...to create a sensational fad that got everyone playing it, when instead it didn't get any farther than a few blurbs in the media...and a unified RPG crowd.

On the surface we look at 3e and think...wow...what great sales. At the same time...were sales really that great? Or were they actually simply good in relation to what had been expected up to that point?

To tell the truth, in light of some of the resurrected brands recently (Transformers, Star Wars, Stargate [with Stargate albeit the original wasn't that big to start with...but then with the restart of it with the TV series got to be a LOT bigger then the original...then simmered down to cancellation...so non-factor again]), D&D 3e could have been FAR MORE successful than it was.

So to start...

3e is seen as successful...and it was.

However many don't actually point out that 3e was also a failure...and a major one at that.

3e bought in and unified the Roleplaying community. It bought a majority of those who were dissatisfied or disliked AD&D and/or D&D to the fold of D20 and the D&D game.

It FAILED to truly increase the numbers of Roleplayers (in my book) or to even cater to new audiences to the degree to make huge dividends down the road.

[THIS SHOULD BE BOLDED, JUST SO PEOPLE CAN SEE IT DID BRING IN NEW BLOOD...BUT NOTHING UNUSUAL] It still brought in the new blood as the older editions did...so new blood came...but not like it did at it's height.

It didn't create a new fad that extended beyond the Roleplaying sphere of the D&D audience (those who played D&D or chose NOT to play D&D because they had other systems they liked better) (as opposed to those who had no desire to play D&D or didn't know the rules in the first place).

A primary example of what should and could have happened had the D&D brand been managed in a way that exceeded expectations and would have made it a major player at Hasbro...at least for a while.

Transformers was a major brand 20-25 years ago. It then diminished from it's fad and did not appeal to as many people.

It is now a Fad again. It could have just brought in those who already were fans of the comics, cartoons, and toys (as some other movies of a similar type have done), but instead it used it's marketing leverage and power to create a NEW and powerful fad that impacted the coffers of the company tremendously.

I don't think Wizards is the only company that could do this for D&D or for Roleplaying.

This is what Gygax was able to do, make a fad out of a non-fad.

He made shows that weren't jokes in relation to what they were talking about(Gygax came out with the D&D cartoon which was great....WotC had a hand promoting the D&D movie which was an abomination).

Gygax got press (in many ways free press, especially negative sometimes...but press that actually ended up promoting the hobby). WotC got a few blurbs of the New D&D game...but not much mainstream that I saw.

Gygax was in big box stores. WotC had an occasional product there, such as the Basic Box...but the pushes by those in the company to inspire higher ups to put the new D&D products into stores other than the hobby chains...not so successful.

So yes, 3e was successful, but I think it was also a wasted opportunity. They looked at it from an audience already there...but not as strongly as how to make it EXPLODE beyond that audience into realms where those who didn't even care about D&D would suddenly stop and look, then buy and play.

And in that I think it was a wasted opportunity and a failure.

Last edited:

PureGoldx58

First Post
So what you are saying is, because 4e came after it, it failed, and because it wasn't as big as the new Transformers blockbuster movie release it failed?

When D&D at its greatest height brought in players it brought them in because of the most powerful source of press, negative press. The negative press brought everyone to it, heck it was the only reason I even knew about D&D when I was little.

Argyle King

Legend
"So yes, 3e was successful, but I think it was also a wasted opportunity. They looked at it from an audience already there...but not as strongly as how to make it EXPLODE beyond that audience into realms where those who didn't even care about D&D would suddenly stop and look, then buy and play.

And in that I think it was a wasted opportunity and a failure."

I find it difficult to buy into this idea. Perhaps I'm the exception rather than the rule, but 3rd Edition was my first experience with D&D. While I did have a very brief experience with Rifts prior to it, I also consider D&D 3rd Edition to be the game which introduced me to rpgs. I had no experience with tabletop gaming prior.

Right now I have 2 military footlockers in my closet which are literally full of 3rd Edition material; I literally could not fit one more book into them right now. I no longer play 3rd edition, but it's difficult for me to consider something a failure when it took me from being a person who owned 0 rpg products to be a person who owns what I can only guess is easily over a thousand dollars in books for the system.

Today my book buying benefits the folks over at SJ Games as I continue to build my GURPS collection, but I still credit D&D 3rd Edition with making me a gamer. Elsewhere I credit the Dragonlance novels with leading me to play D&D at all. That is true, those novels did lead me to try the experience, but 3rd Edition is what made me stay.

Now, if that experience stopped with only me, I might agree with you. However, what do you feel I did after buying my first few books? The answer is that I sought out people to play. Since I did not know very many people at the time who played, I naturally turned to the friends I already had and asked them to try the game with me. Today, two of the people who were part of my original group run games of their own; one of them is teaching a new group to play 4th Edition D&D every Sunday.

Me? I run a game on Wednesdays. It alternates between 4th Edition D&D (which I play, but have not invested in very much,) and GURPS 4th Edition.

I still look fondly at my 3rd Edition books from time to time. It's nice to go back and flip through the pages. I had briefly considered selling a few of them because I noticed that ebay prices for some of what I have are pretty good. I can't bring myself to part with them though; there's a fondness for them which I am not currently able to break. Luckily, I'm becoming proficient enough with GURPS to start translating some of my D&D 3rd Edition material to GURPS. It's been interesting experiencing all of my old favorites being powered by a different engine.

While there are areas where I believe 3rd Edition did not perform well, I find it difficult to consider the system a failure. I'm sure that Paizo would disagree with you as well. While I do not follow what goes on with Pathfinder, I seem to recall the sales figures being good. They're especially good for a game which is built upon the foundation of a 'failure.'

Last edited:

gwyllgi

First Post
Greylord, the fact that no one ever poo'ed on 3e like 4e shows you it wasn't a failure it was for all intents and purposes the Apex of tabletop compare 3e to the Attitude era in WWF, both are the best they have ever been in their respective histories and because of it everything else afterwards will fail for a while.

lets just hope wizard doesn't stoop low enough to stop endorsing 4e, or try to jump to a completely new system based on the previous ones, it would only complicate things more.

another reason people may never trash 3e is because of the shear amount of content with it and how much things make sense. i mean the books alone are great tools not only for rpg, but writing.

cattoy

First Post
It is a bad idea to compare one edition of D&D against any other directly without taking context into consideration.

Gygax didn't have to compete for people's bandwidth with the internet, cable TV, fantasy football, World of Warcraft. facebook, twitter, iPhones or youTube.

Gygax won the game on easy mode.

LiL KiNG

First Post
It is a bad idea to compare one edition of D&D against any other directly without taking context into consideration.

Gygax didn't have to compete for people's bandwidth with the internet, cable TV, fantasy football, World of Warcraft. facebook, twitter, iPhones or youTube.

Gygax won the game on easy mode.

...No, Gygax had to compete with me playing kick-ball, or riding BMX, or making couch forts, or riding my dirt bike, or going shooting with my dad, or hiking, or to the lake, or skiing, or (yes) NES/Saga, or playing hockey/real football, or trying to get to second base, etc...

He did not win on "easy mode". Not in my book.

[hehehe... punctuation be damned, in the great words of Natasha Kerensky "Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about".]

Last edited:

GreyLord

Legend
Greylord, the fact that no one ever poo'ed on 3e like 4e shows you it wasn't a failure it was for all intents and purposes the Apex of tabletop compare 3e to the Attitude era in WWF, both are the best they have ever been in their respective histories and because of it everything else afterwards will fail for a while.

lets just hope wizard doesn't stoop low enough to stop endorsing 4e, or try to jump to a completely new system based on the previous ones, it would only complicate things more.

another reason people may never trash 3e is because of the shear amount of content with it and how much things make sense. i mean the books alone are great tools not only for rpg, but writing.

Actually 3e was EXTREMELY poo poo'd when it came out and for at least 5 years afterwards with edition wars that make the entire 3e vs. 4e edition arguments rather tame in comparison.

It always amazes me how quickly people forget how bad the vitriol was between different parties when 3.X was king.

They even talked about a rift that existed because of during those days.

With that said, I still feel 3e unified the RPG community...but it didn't really draw in the new blood like when AD&D was out early on. I also think that D&D is currently at a low point overall and the community is actually more divided among systems than they were during the 3e days. I think that this was precipitated by habits in the company that have their roots in the creation and expansion of the 3e days.

Not many have really ever explored that arena of discussion. Normally we are busy praising 3e for "saving" the industry, when all it really did was unify it. Those who would have come to RPG's anyways found it via 3e instead of another system...and most who had fallen away from D&D came back to it.

But it really didn't exploit the opportunity to expand far beyond the reaches of those who already were the "target" audience. Dancey I think put forth some ideas to appeal to these audiences...but after some initial items thrown at them, the avenues were not pursued. I think that was a wasted opportunity and in that 3e lost out on what could have been one of it's biggest successes.

Imagine a D&D movie that DIDN'T stink, but instead was a blockbuster (and we know Fantasy COULD become a blockbuster. At the time it wasn't seen as being as a hugely successful field, but then Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings came out and you had mega bucks going on there). I think that right there could have started a trend with bringing in different and new individuals that never would have tried it previously.

I think the fresh start and fresh view was the best chance in two decades for D&D to reclaim it's former glory...aka...fad. That it did not is what I'm seeing as a possible failure, one that the business side like Hasbro may notice up it's chains, but one that many as RPG players may not.

LiL KiNG

First Post
The only thing I don't like about 3e is that some things were greatly expanded upon, like having 30 odd different races of Elf between all settings plus all their racial weapons, and others were not - I can only think of 2 Orc weapons; double-axe and shot put.

I don't like the rules around whips and the love to spiked chains. There are weird flaws/typos in many things like the Invisible Blade PrC needing far shot and point blank shot, or Scout's having Trapfinding but not disable device - but a lot was corrected through errata, for anything else a reasonable DM and a house rule could fix it. It was just sometimes figuring out a balanced way to do it that was tough.

The worst thing though? Trying to play a Drow without being labeled a clone of one lucky m.f.'er from a bunch of novels (which admittedly, I enjoyed reading).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads