• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E 3pp Campaign Settings

Rellott

Explorer
I like Arcanis, by Paradigm Concepts. It's been around since the d20 days, but they're overhauling it and updating it for 5e. You can get a free Primer for the setting, as well as a guide to running the 20+ free adventures as part of their Living Arcanis campaign (like Adventurers League but for this setting). You just have to create a free account and set up that you'll be hosting a private game.
Here's the link: www.paradigmcampaigns.com/defaultliva.aspx

They've got a comprehensive book for the 5e version of their setting in beta testing after their successful Kickstarter. It's supposed to be done by the end of the year, and the first regional expansion is also in the works and due sometime next year.

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Frog God Games has been getting my minuscule spending money for about a year now...my upcoming Sword of Air + Stoneheart Valley campaign starts week after next (ohmygodwhatwasIthinking). The reason, though, is that all their campaigns and the majority of their previous incarnation's books and campaigns--Necromancer Games--are all decently large-ish sandboxes that have some sort of story to explore, which is what my players and I prefer above everything else. I have an exceedingly long wishlist of Necromancer Games and FGG books that I'm going to, eventually, get.

The new Bard's Gate is amazing.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
My home game is set in the Shattered Realms setting. It's a homebrew setting with a custom cosmology, and the action is set 1,500 years after "The Shattering" - a cataclysm that shattered reality and reshaped the world.

Another vote for Primeval Thule here. For me, DnD is less about the mechanics and all about the settings and fluff, and I love reading setting guides. The production value and theme of Thule is fantastic. I'm a big Sword and Sorcery fan (grew up reading Elric, Conan, Fafhrd & Gray Mouser, etc), so I'm probably a little biased.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The Scarred Lands Gazetteer I found at the library was interesting. It really needed a map (which may have been swiped by some previous reader) to help things fit together.

One I've read but never run (but would be on my shortlist to run if I wasn't using my Homebrew) would be Midnight by Fantasy Flight Games.
It's for 3e, but it'd be easy enough to update to 5e.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/6/Fantasy-Flight-Games/subcategory/36_42/Midnight
(And the books are often available online for pretty cheap.)

It's a lower magic dark fantasy world.
The dark god Izrador, the Shadow in the North, was imprisoned on the world, cutting it off from the other gods. The Shadow and its army of orcs and foul creatures waged war on the mortal races of the world, but the armies of humans, dwarves, and elves united to stand against the Shadow.
But they lost.
Now it's a hundred years later. The Shadow has rules virtually unopposed over the human lands for a century. Writing is illegal, weapons are illegal, and magic is illegal. The Shadow's orcs are slowly digging down into the last remaining dwarven fortress and the elves retreated to their forests, which are slowly being cut down and burned.

Basically, it's Lord of the Rings if Sauron got the One Ring, and then tortured Gandalf and Aragorn for years until they changed sides.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads