• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4 Metacreativity Powers

Greatfrito

First Post
Okay, This was just a thread about the one, first power, but since I wrote a few more today (I was in class, and very bored), I figured "Why flood the forums with useless threads all about the same thing?" Thus, I'm just changing around the focus of this thread a little bit.

All comments up to a point were just dealing with the first power. I'm adding the three others (they're not nearly as out-of-the-blue as the first one... hehe, "out of the blue"... now I'm gonna have to have a blue psion using Ectoplasmic Coil).

As always, comments are more than welcome... in fact, I'm begging you for them. :confused: ( <- Me Begging)

Ectoplasmic Coil
==========================
Metacreativity (Creation)
Level: Shaper 3, Psychic Warrior 3
Display: Visual
Manifesting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 min./level
Power Points: 5
------------------------------------------------
You generate an ectoplasmic tendril from your hand. This tendril can be extended or retracted as a free action during the power's duration - it is absorbed into your palm. You may either use the tendril as a whip (see equipment; any feats or powers that could be applied to a whip can be applied to the tendrils created by this power) or use it to gain a +4 bonus on grapple checks. You can choose to grapple an opponent with just this tendril, but you take the normal -20 on the grapple check. The tendril has the same hardness and hit points as a whip, though if destroyed, the tendril simply grows back in the next round. The tendrils have a strength score of 16, and you may choose to use this score in place of your own for the purposes of attack with the tendrils or grapple checks, and for the purpose of lifting or breaking objects.

***Augment: You can augment this power in one or more of the following ways.
1. If you spend 2 additional power points you generate an additional tendril on the same hand as another tendril. If you have multiple tendrils on one hand you must use them all for the same purpose, but their bonuses stack (so two tendrils grants a +8 bonus n grapple checks) and they deal damage as if from multiple whips (so two tendrils deal 2d3 nonlethal damage when used as a weapon). For each additional tendril, treat the bunch as if they had a strength score 2 points higher (so two tendrils have an effective strength of 18).
2. If you spend 4 additional power points you generate a tendril on a hand that does not already gain a tendril. You can have a maximum of two hands with tendrils. If you have multiple hands with tendrils you may use them both seperately, though you take standard penalties for fighting with two weapons.
3. If you spend 4 additional power points the duration of the power increases to 10 min./level.
4. If you spend 4 additional power points the tendrils formed are sharp and bladelike, and deal 1d4 lethal slashing damage instead of damaging like a whip (this also means that they deal damage even when the target's Armor bonus is +1 or higher or their Natural Armor bonus is +3 or higher).
Ectoplasmic Shield
============================
Level: Psion/Wilder 1, Psychic Warrior 1
Display: Material
Manifesting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 10 min./level(D)
Power Points: 1
You create a physical disk of ectoplasm that attaches itself to your arm. This disk serves as a heavy shield, granting a +2 shield bonus to Armor Class (which applies against incorporeal touch attacks, since the shield is made of ectoplasm). The shield is supernatually light, and has no armor check penalty. The shield can be used to make shield bashes, as normal. If you remove the shield from your arm, it dissapates in one round.

***Augment: You can augment this power in one or more of the following ways.
1. If you spend 2 additional power points the shield has spikes and can be used as a spiked heavy shield.
2. If you spend 4 additional power points the shield bonus to armor class increases by 1.
Ectoplasmic Tentacles
===========================
Level: Shaper 4
Display: Material
Manifesting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Medium (100ft. + 10ft./level)
Area: 20-ft. Radius Spread
Duration: 1 round/level(D)
Saving Throw: None
Power Resistance: No
This power creates a field of rubbery ectoplasmic tentacles, each 10 feet long. These tentacles spring forth from a pool of ectoplasm formed by the spell which forms on the earth, floor, or whatever surface is underfoot - including water. They grasp and entwine around creatures that enter the area, holding them fast and crushing them with great strength. Every creature within the area of the power must make a grapple check, opposed by the grapple check of the tentacles. Treat the tentacles attacking a particular target as a Large creature with a base attack bonus of +7 and a Strength score of 19. Thus, its grapple check modifier is +13. The tentacles are immune to all types of damage. Once the tentacles grapple an opponent, they may make a grapple check each round on your turn to deal 1d6+4 points of bludgeioning damage. The tentacles continue to crush the opponent until the power ends or the opponent escapes. Any creature taht enters the area of the spell is immediately attacked by the tentacles. Even creatures who aren't grappling with the tentacles may move through the area at only half normal speed.

***Augment: For every 1 additional power point you spend the base attack bonus of the tentacles increases by 1.
Ectoplasmic Lance
===========================
Level: Shaper 1
Display: Auditory, Material
Manifesting Time: 1 Full Round Action
Range: Close (25ft. + 5ft./2 levels)
Effect: Ray
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Power Resistance: Yes
You manifest a large spear of rigid ectoplasm which you launch at an opponent within close range. This lance deals 1d8 damage.

***Augment: For every 1 additional power point you spend, the lance deals an additional 1d8 damage.

Notes and Such:
*Ectoplasmic Coil is just an idea I had (a cool visual mostly). It may provide too great of a bonus on grapple checks when augmented, but then again Grip of Iron provides a +4 bonus, and +1 more for every additional 2 points, and it's a first level power, so I think it comes out fair. Something I could see a Wilder doing well with.

*Ectoplasmic Shield is just another one of my "Shapers are Cool!" things. Its higher duration is offset by requiring the use of a hand, and the lower shield bonus to Armor Class.

*Ectoplasmic Tentacles is just a psionic version of "Black Tentacles", which I think makes perfect sense for the shaper. It's weaker than Mass Ectoplasmic Cocoon, but deffinately more fun.

*Ectoplasmic Lance might be overpowered, but I don't know. It deals roughly 1 additional point of damage for every power point spent on it compared to Crystal Shard, but it takes a full round instead of a single action, and is subject to power resistance. Hopefully both compenstate appropriately

Last edited:

Craer

First Post
Sounds really cool. Very cintematic. Although I'm unfamiliar with the augmentation rules, perhaps you could have a version wherein the tentacles can hold weapons, shields, halflings, etc.?

-Craer

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
A 13th lvl caster (spending 13 pps, effectively a 7th lvl spell) can get +20 to grapple checks with an effective strength score of 24... giving him a grapple bonus of +27. I think that's in line with a 7th lvl spell, but it might be a little excessive.

Greatfrito

First Post
Grapple bonus of +27 for a 7th level power? I think that's about fair.

Mass Ectoplasmic Cocoon is 7th level.
Crisis of Life is 7th level.
Grip of Iron augmented to 7th level gives a +10 bonus though... but Grip of Iron is a 1st level power at its base...

For the same cost you could be making a ranged touch attack out to 65 ft. for 13d6 damage (Crystal Shard).

Well then, can't wait to use this on/with the PCs.

Thanks. :D

[Edit: And by 13th level the psychic warrior is liable to have a pretty good strength score himself, not to mention a better base attack bonus]

Last edited:

Zack2216

First Post
I think that ectoplasmic lance should be reduced to d6's, so that it is more in line with the strength of similar powers, like that one crystal shard power, where you launch a d6 crystal shard, ranged touch, and 1pp augment puts it up another d6.

If you made it 1 pp augment: +1d6, and then, something like 4 pp augment: change to d8's instead of d6's, then it's damage should be comparable to other powers 16d8 (72 avg) vs. 20d6 (70 avg) at level 20 if augmented. Of course, after that the d8s begin to easily outscale the d6s, but that just inspires one to actually use the power at epic, instead of say, psionic disintigrate.

Greatfrito

First Post
Actually, I think there are enough differences to justify the d8s of damage.

For one thing, the power is a Shaper power, meaning that it is out of the hands of any character other than the shaper until at least 3rd level (and then only with a feat).

Second, it's manifesting time is increased to a full round instead of a single action. This should end up meaning that opponents can avoid the power just by staying far enough away, because the manifester has to move to them in one turn, and manifest in the next (there are exceptions, just as with Hustle, but honestly, it isn't that much of a gain to be able to use this power -and- move in a turn).

Third, it is much more in line with Energy Ray than Crystal Shard for damage. For one thing, Energy ray deals, most of the time, d6+1 for every power point popped into it. Crystal shard only deals 1d6. Both are first level powers. The difference, I think, is supposed to lie in the fact that Crystal Shard has no power resisitance, while Energy Ray (and by extention, Ecto. Lance) does.

I was about to re-write it when I looked at all of that. I think it comes out nicely along side other powers, though opinions are welcomed.

Remove ads