4 Must-Have Super Power Options for Convention Gear

Product suggestions for all budgets to keep your electronic devices alive through long days on the convention floor. Or a Zombie Apocalypse. When the zombies come, why should we have to give up our games?

Product suggestions for all budgets to keep your electronic devices alive through long days on the convention floor. Or a Zombie Apocalypse. When the zombies come, why should we have to give up our games?

It's a summer of cons, and my 4th of July travel has given me a bit of a preview of the cool new gadgets that are out there for gamers headed to conventions.

In most of my convention experiences, power has been one of the most limiting factors for gadget use -- it's very unlikely that you're going to be able to plug anything while you're at the game table. This is a safety and liability thing -- the venues can't have a nest of power cords creating trip hazards all over the place, especially given the grace and surefootedness of a typical gamer nerd (before you get huffy, I'm talking about myself). A power solution that will get you through a day or more of gaming with your gadgets without plugging in is of critical importance.

So, without further ado, here's your shopping list:

1. Duracel Backup Charger
This is a low-cost option for folks who are using mobile devices (phones & tablets) but who really need to extend their usable battery life. For around $20-30 you can pick up one of these small rechargeable devices (or similar ones made by competitors like Energizer). They hold enough power to charge your device with enough power to get maybe and hour or two of use -- maybe more, depending upon how much you are using the device. It's not a lot of power, but it can be the difference between having to leave your iPad behind in your hotel room to charge and being able to use it for a second game session. And that may be critical. There's no reason you couldn't have a second one, at that price point, to have even longer life.

There are variations on this idea I've seen in England but that I can't find in the states -- variations that take standard AA batteries, rather than having an internal, rechargeable battery. Judging by the comments on those devices, the amount of power they provide is pretty minimal -- enough for an emergency phone call, but not really enough to continue to game with, so those don't seem like a very viable option, even if you do live someplace where you're able to pick them up.

2. Mophie
Mophie makes some GREAT products that will help extend the powered life of your devices. If you're using an iphone, there's a Juice Pack case that will fit your phone and provide extended battery life. This is really more a phone accessory than an iPad one.

I had a battery case for my iPhone 4S and got a lot of use out of it. The cases do add a bit to the heft of the phone, so I tend to not use it every day, but when I know I'm going to be stretching the life of my phone's battery, I'll slap it on and go. I recently upgraded to an iPhone 5, and immediately ordered the equivalent case. There's a goofy issue with the headphone jack on the mophie case for the iPhone 5, but other that that, I'm just as happy with it as I was with the 4s and its case.

For iPad users, a variety of external batteries -- similar to the duracel option, are available. They are more expensive, but will provide a lot more power & longevity.

3. Powerbag Messenger
This is the newest addition to my power suite. Powebags are backpacks and messenger bags wired for power -- they have an internal battery (removeable and hot-swappable) and four different plugs for devices (iOS, Min and Micro USB, and a full size USB port)

The bag's battery, when fully charged, has enough juice to charge a phone up to four times -- which can make a dramatic improvement to your ability to stretch your device's lifetime at the table. Even better, it's possible to plug the bag in overnight, leaving devices plugged in, and have all of your devices AND the bag's battery charged with that single plug.

Depending upon how much life you needed, it would be quite easy to have a spare battery to swap in when the active one runs down.

The primary limitation of the Powerbag is that it won't connect to or charge laptops, so it's really best for a tablet/phone users. It does, however, have a airport security-friendly lay-flat laptop compartment, making it a good laptop bag as well, even if it isn't much help to extend your laptop's battery life.

Powerbags run upwards of $200 retail, but I got mine through an Amazon Gold Box deal via Woot for $50 -- you've got a little time before Gencon, shop around and look for a deal. It looks like woot.com has deals right now that are even better, so snap them up quick.

Honorable Mention: Power Your Gadgets Through The End Times

Opteka Thin Solar Charger
I'm amused by this option. It would be an awesome solution if we were not going to a gaming convention, but instead were going camping, or trying to make sure we could play our gadget-assisted Pathfinder games during a zombie apocalypse (I imagine there's a lot of need for good entertainment once zombies are on the loose).

Even more silly -- the Hand Turbine Backup Battery Charger. Also very important when the zombies come, this device will allow you to generate power by turning a hand crank (perfect for those dark hidey-holes when a herd of zombies are passing through).

This would be perfect if you game with someone who has a lot of nervous energy -- give them the crank to turn and you might have enough power from the hand crank to give your phone an quarter charge by the end of the game session.

So, What did I miss? What are your favorite ways to power your devices on the go?

Bagpuss

Legend
I think that power where you could split into several copies of yourself, duplicating everything on you at the time, so you can be in several places at once would be a good idea... (once you have got through the entrance of course).

That or time travel for the same reason.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads