4 years of 5E on Amazon: same old same old

Zardnaar

Legend
Those articles don’t say what you think they say.

They do say how many sales can get you to number 1 though.

Not even a few hundred a day consistently will get you 100k sales in a year but I think only the core books are doing that.

Some people on these threads tend to get a bit giddy and conjure up millions and millions in sales.

Wouldn't get to excited.

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw...-does-it-take-to-be-an-amazon-bestseller.html

https://okdork.com/hit-1-amazons-bestseller-list/

Article I read last week seems to indicate Amazon might be around 50% of sales, these sites here quote 30%.

If you can get to number 1 on Amazon seems you can do it on a few hundred books sold (average per day). If you can do that for an entire year that is great but I would not be surprised if the difference outside the top 10 is a few hundred books total between say number 400 and 500.

This is also funny.
https://qz.com/902504/how-to-become...on-amazon-in-five-minutes-with-three-dollars/

Gonna write a book. "My Cat".

Why are you so invested in proving that 5e isn't selling well?

darjr

I crit!
They do say how many sales can get you to number 1 though.

Not even a few hundred a day consistently will get you 100k sales in a year but I think only the core books are doing that.

Some people on these threads tend to get a bit giddy and conjure up millions and millions in sales.

Not really, they guess that on average you need to sell 1000 copies a day to break into the top 5 and that in a really crappy sales day 300 “might” do it. Plus a blog from a known fraud and snake oil salesman.

I do not have much confidence in your argument based on your sources and willfull misrepresentation of them.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Not really, they guess that on average you need to sell 1000 copies a day to break into the top 5 and that in a really crappy sales day 300 “might” do it. Plus a blog from a known fraud and snake oil salesman.

I do not have much confidence in your argument based on your sources and willfull misrepresentation of them.

There was multiple pages about sales data on Amazon but the guts of most of them were basically top 5 and top ten over a sustained period of time means something.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
We’re talking multiple products hitting #1 with the phb close to doing it multiple times years after release and the phb sustains top 100/50 for days and weeks at a time mostly only dropping out when supply dries up or the Christmas shopping is in force.

Your comment seems like sour grapes supported by a fallacious argument. It seems your grasping at straws.

Im not but top 500 means basically nothing.
A day or a week in the top 500 means little. Four years is something else, especially when paired with spikes into the top 10 and also reaching the top of print bestseller charts.

Yeah, nothing beyond the core books are selling “millions and millions”. But the PHB IS. And the rest of the books are doing just as well.
Even selling 250 copies a day adds up. That’s 90,000 copies a year in Amazon alone. Which was what a good accessory sold during its entire print run in 3e and 4e. Heck, Xanathar’s Guide to Everything seems to be outselling the 4e PHB.

People give me grief for reptile bless posts but we get this thread or variants 3 or 4 times a year.
It’s semi-annual update thread revised periodically, which provide a historical perspective when looking back at sales rankings over the months. So we can look back and get data, otherwise finding numbers for exact periods cane be tricky.
It’s not just about praising 5e: you’ll bet if/ when 5e tanks or Pathfinder 2 sells better, these threads will report that as well.

While these threads offer new information with updated numbers and sales figures, your criticism and disbelief doesn’t, offering the same negativity and doubt that 5e again and again. Typically with repeated assertions that 5th Edition hasn’t exceeded the magical sales numbers of 1e. You could cut-and-paste one of your comments from 2015 and it would largely be as relevant.

darjr

I crit!
And the adventure zones comic of thier D&as exploits is the first graphic novel to top the New York Times trade fiction list.

Though I must admit I’m not sure what that means.

Remove ads