• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4400 and Dead Zone Canceled

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/USA-Ditches-Dead-Zone-The-4400-7886.html

There are two USA series that probably won’t be showing up on NBC’s patented writers strike freakout schedule anytime soon: both The Dead Zone and The 4400have been canceled. While neither show was a real ratings bonanza, the cancellations nevertheless came as a shock. Such a shock in fact; that what turned out to be the series finales of both shows aired back in September.

At a time in which scripted programs are few and far between and new reality shows like NBC’s Clash of the Choirs are tanking in the ratings, it seems counterintuitive to get rid of anything that a network already has—especially when it’s a show that has as low of a budget as these two very clearly (and painfully) do. However, with no episodes of either series in the can, there’s not a lot they could do to help USA, or its sister channel NBC’s strike-ravaged schedule.

USA Executive VP of Original Programming, Jeff Wachtel, says of his network’s decision, “We wish we could keep all our great shows alive forever. But we feel we need to give some of our new shows a platform to grow, and it's with great sadness that we say goodbye to two shows that had a great run and helped create the resurgence of original programming on our network and on all of cable.”

Fan petitions are already being circulated to save The 4400, but I wouldn’t count on a Jericho-like fan resurrection. Although The Dead Zone brought a buff Anthony Michael Hall back into the spotlight, the argument can be made that the whole “coma-patient seeing into the future” story has been taken as far as it can go. So is USA acting rash in shooting its birds in hand, or have these shows simply run their course? Feel free to post your reactions below.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I was beginning to lose interest in The 4400 and was hoping they could wrap it up with another season.

I'm pretty much pissed about The Dead Zone. They left us witha freaking cliff-hanger. Just like SciFi did with Sliders! :mad:

The Dead Zone I pretty much saw as taking the rout of the movie with one final season, but now that will never happen.

The writers are our commodity, if they don't get the respect they deserve, then the US has no business making any shows.

Fast Learner

First Post
I would have liked a The 4400 wrap-up season that explained everything that was going on. Of course, I would have liked for that to have been last season, because it wasn't that great a season and revealing the mysteries would have helped, rather than just adding more like they did.

Jamdin

Explorer
I'm sad for I greatly enjoyed both series and they should at least get a mini-series or a movie to wrap them up.

I hate when shows are cancelled without a wrap-up, goodbye, fare-thee-well, or whatever. My wife and I both enjoyed both of these shows, and I think the least they could have done was to wrap them up in some way. Especially with the writer's strike going the way it is, I can't imagine them replacing these shows with anything better...

Simplicity

Explorer
Dang it. I really liked the 4400... The Dead Zone lost my interest a while back.

I do wish that rather than giving new shows a chance to bloom and then eventually not finish either, a network would bother to finish up the storylines every now and then. The journey is great and all, but it'd be nice for a series to actually have an ending.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads