• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

48-point buy

maggot

First Post
We are planning a campaign where the characters are the ultimate heroes of all ages. For stat, we are planning on using the "super elite" array of 18, 17, 15, 13, 12, 10. This comes out to 48 point buy. How ridiculous is a campaign run with these kinds of stats? Is there any stat rolling method that comes close to approximating 48-points or that array?

wayne62682

First Post
I've gotten stats better than that with standard 4d6 drop lowest rolling... thats not ridiculous at all. My old group's FR campaign used 90 points (one for one basis e.g. 18 costs 18 points) and we had stats that were better than that.

Rhun

First Post
48-point buy is definitely still a doable game. I don't find it too ridiculous at all. The PCs in the tabletop game I currently run have better stats then that, and I've had no problem challenging them.

Slobber Monster

First Post
Probably not that ridiculous. Obviously you'll have no problem with equal CR opponents. A half celestial, which has a +4 LA with the standard heroic array would have scores along the lines of 19 17 16 16 14 12. So that probably means you should be fighting opponents with an average EL 2-3 higher than normal. The high ability scores won't give access to higher level effects and abilities any earlier though, so the extra difficulty will mostly need to come from greater numbers or HD advanced foes.

Characters with multiple ability dependence will really get to shine though.

Crothian

First Post
maggot said:
We are planning a campaign where the characters are the ultimate heroes of all ages.

I'm going to cut in here. Stats have nothing to do with being a hero or heroic.

For stat, we are planning on using the "super elite" array of 18, 17, 15, 13, 12, 10. This comes out to 48 point buy. How ridiculous is a campaign run with these kinds of stats? Is there any stat rolling method that comes close to approximating 48-points or that array?

It won't be ridiculus at all unless you make it that way. Those are fine stats but not even close to being what I would consider powerful stats. Stats mean less then people think, IMO.

Warbringer

Explorer
maggot said:
We are planning a campaign where the characters are the ultimate heroes of all ages. For stat, we are planning on using the "super elite" array of 18, 17, 15, 13, 12, 10. This comes out to 48 point buy. How ridiculous is a campaign run with these kinds of stats? Is there any stat rolling method that comes close to approximating 48-points or that array?

6d6

knight_isa

First Post
I played in a campaign with similar stats (ours was pick your stats, sum of stat bonuses can not exceed +10, half of stats must be odd and half even). It was fun, but we seemed to have the paper tiger syndrome--we either blew everything completely away or were nearly TPK'd in nearly every battle. I think the DM had a hard time judging the party's capabilities because in some things we were 1-2 levels above average (attack bonus, damage, save DC's, skill checks), but in others we were not (iterative attacks, spell levels), and in still others it varied wildly from character to character (saves & hp).

I can't remember what level we started at (I'm thinking 3rd), and we ended at 12th-13th.

We had a lot of fun, and I'm contemplating going with that same method of stat generation for my next game. The characters were definitely a bit over-the-top compared to 28-point-buy, but for me D&D is escapism, pure and simple, so that wasn't bad. The number of near TPK's proved that we weren't invincible by any means, so it was definitely still challenging, too. And our party was proof that high stats didn't make up for crappy tactics. Well, not completely anyway.

Go for it. It'll be fun.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads