4d6 lottery winner, Ranger build help?

Looking for advice and input on what I want to build and the best way to do that. So just read it and respond. And please dont direct me to the guides, while well written and taken into account Im looking for some more direct then general advice.

I rolled 18,16,14,14,11,8. And I voluntarily skipped a spare 14 down to 8 because a +13 character is just unfair. +10 is much much more reasonable.

I know I want to run an Elven Ranger (Hunter) so I could easily go either 18str and Dex, 14 con, 14 wis, and then either 11 int or cha with a spare dump. or- I could go 8 str, 20dex, 16 con or wis, 14 on the spare and then maybe 14 int and 11 cha

Im pretty sold on Hunter, though I really am not sure which options to take. Specially for the multi attack. I'd like to go switch hitter if its a thing. (Rapier and Scimi (after the feat). For Melee and Bow for ranged if I go dex. dual long swords and bow if I go Str/Dex)

This is my first ranger, so general advice is well welcomed.

Last edited:

smbakeresq

Explorer
First use the revised ranger in the UA content, its just a better version.

I would use the 18 in Dex, that will save a ABI for feat. You don't need CHA, I would use the 8 there. WIS powers you abilities, put the 16 there, then 14 in STR and CON (athletics and HP) and then 11 in INT.

For the PHB version, Colossus slayer works with melee and ranged, Giant killer is VG but limitation is size of creature and uses your reaction, and Horde breaker means you need 2 enemies standing next to each other, so does nothing against a solo or spaced at enemies.

For the nest choice, you Multiattack defense is the most useable, many higher level creatures will have multiattack. Escape the Horde requires you to provoke and OPP ATT, something you might not want to do.

The 11th level one depends on how you play the ranger, just pick one.

Uncanny Dodge just works whenever you want it to, with no conditions. Its the best choice.

PS, with those scores I would play an Elven Oath of the Ancients PALADIN. You can start with 18 DEX and CHR, then 14 STR and CON. With Medium armor and a shield you could have AC 20 at first level and then go up. It would could be great

ccs

41st lv DM
I rolled 18,16,14,14,11,8. And I voluntarily skipped a spare 14 down to 8 because a +13 character is just unfair. +10 is much much more reasonable.

The only reason you should've dropped that 14 down to an 8 is character concept. Oh well.

Speaking of concept....
Great, you know you definitely want to play an elven ranger (hunter). Now start describing him. Start by deciding what type of elf you are. High (+1 int, + a cantrip)? Wood (+1 wis, faster)? Drow (+1 cha, some nifty other stuff & a considerable penalty when in daylight.)?
(I know which I'd pick & I'll tell you what and why at the end)

Regardless of what type of elf you end up picking, you start with +2 to your Dex. Since you've stated that you want to be equally adept at both melee & range, put that 18 in Str & that 16 in Dex. Because after the elf boost your Dex will be equal to your Str. 18 Str/18 Dex. :) Trust me, you don't need a 20 in either stat. You'll kill things just fine for a long long time with only a +4 bonus.
The only reason I'd ever put that raw 18 in Dex would be to get that full +5 on my AC & Initiative rolls. But, as with the to hit/damage bonus, a "mere" +4 will work just fine. Especially considering that to go Dex would unbalance your being equally good at melee/range. So go 18/18 & let it play for awhile. By the time you're looking at the 2nd ASI you'll know if you should boost one of them to a 20 based upon how you've most played the character (or maybe what types of stuff you're fighting or gear{IE; weapons}you've acquired).

Wisdom is important for a ranger. It's your casting stat and it's what Perception & Survival key off. So you probably want one of your 14s in that.

Constitution = HPs & a lot of saves. Good thing you've got another 14, right?

So that leaves an 11 & an 8 to go into Int and Cha. And that's the order I'd place them 11 Int/8 Cha. Because I value the skills that work off Int slightly more than the charisma based ones.
It's not that I think Cha is a dump stat (I don't view any stat as a dump & certainly not Cha), just working with the #s left.

Initial fighting style? Definitely two weapon fighting since this is one of your stated goals.

So. What type of Elf & why?
I see a Wood Elf. Specifically a Grugach/wild elf.
And this will bump your Wisdom up to a 15 (it won't change the +, but that's still better than not decreasing your 8s -mod). Charisma wise? Grugach aren't noted for being the most personable elves, so an 8 Cha should work just fine.

Last edited:

Ive been thinking wood elf. I think some of the decent feats give a floating +1 to wis. (I want to say resilient)

And I am open to going all Dex. I'd be able to use scimis instead. And shar shooter DOES look fantastic.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Remember this about dump stats like CHA, it’s not a dump stat it’s a PC concept. Your are a ranger wood elf that hunts monsters. That’s a lot of time alone, pursuing your prey on the fringes of civilization. That’s why your CHA would be low, you just would t have a lot of experience in social situations, not would that lifestyle attract a talkative type of elf. It takes a special type of person to like that lifestyle.

Look at the archetypes. Legolas in the books and movies wasn’t a social person , essentially he had one friend who he initially didn’t like. He respected Aragon and others, but had few friends and was cold and distant.

Aragon as born to be a king, that’s why he had a good CHA and leadership ability, that’s a different story. Although he was called Ranger in the story, in D&D terms he is a lot closer to Paladin-type with survival skills then most other things.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

smbakeresq

Explorer
I will keep it in mind. :D

I imagine in all cases you are recomending rapier or scimitar?

Yes. It fits the PC concept. I would go all DEX, with 14 in STR, and then take the mobile feat. You would be dashing into and out of combat, never provoking OPP ATT from creatures you swing at, use Athletics and acrobatics to climb on tables, run up the walls, etc and just harass the crap out of the bad guys. With a wood elf IIRC your base speed would be 35, so 45 with the feat, highly mobile. My son has this concept with slippers of spider climbing, just runs up the walls and hangs from the roof and fights. I would also work out something with the DM about Jump rules, it makes no sense to me Joe Fighter with (20 STR and 10 DEX) would somehow be a better jumper than Elf the Swift (20 DEX, 10 STR and 35’ base move).

You would still be a great archer, but archery is always limited by adventure conditions, most are in dungeons.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

I like the RP suggestion. It is helping me refine "who" he or she is.

And yeah that doesn't make the most sense. I will talk to the DM about it and have that influence my choice a bit. In the mean time of course I'll aim at the excellent Dex. Though I can always "accept" an 18/18 character. Woe will be I. :p

If I read it right, I think Colossus Slayer applies to both ranged and melee anyways. So that's one mechanical choice out of the way. (Would be nice if it had SOME scaling. But such is life I guess.)

smbakeresq

Explorer
I like the RP suggestion. It is helping me refine "who" he or she is.

And yeah that doesn't make the most sense. I will talk to the DM about it and have that influence my choice a bit. In the mean time of course I'll aim at the excellent Dex. Though I can always "accept" an 18/18 character. Woe will be I. :p

If I read it right, I think Colossus Slayer applies to both ranged and melee anyways. So that's one mechanical choice out of the way. (Would be nice if it had SOME scaling. But such is life I guess.)

Find a mini you like and use it for inspiration also.

Read those athletics and acrobatics rules and use them. With those physical abilities get advantage from them. For example with mobile feat and speed of 45, you can climb at 20’ meaning in the Cavern of Ledges you shouldn’t be on the floor with the bad guys.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Remove ads