• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e actions

eleran

First Post
OK, if I have 4 monsters in a room, lets say bugbears, with 2 of them behind a turned up table for cover. When the PCs get to the door, these monsters are already ducked down behind the table. What I want to do is, on their initiative the 2 behind the table jump up and fire their crossbows, then duck back behind the table. Is this doable in one round? Minor action to pop up, standard to fire, move to duck down. Or is that too much?

fafhrd

First Post
Not sure that's feasible. However Kobolds, courtesy of their 'shifty' trait could shift around a corner, fire and use a move action to retreat. Same thing is possible with the 'deft strike' rogue power, giving you a limited shot on the run effect. There may be other monsters that can do this as well.

LostSoul

Adventurer
You can do that in 3.5 - move to get up from prone, standard to shoot, free to drop to prone.

I don't think that will change in 4e.

eleran

First Post
but ya know, now that I think of it, with the way soem of the 4e powers are written, I could make it a standard action to pop up AND fire, then use a move action to duck back down couldnt I?

Satori5000

First Post
Doesnt seem wrong to me. Even if its a move action to stand up. In 3e it was a free action to drop so unless they changed that, then Move to stand, standard to fire, free to drop again.

eleran

First Post
LostSoul said:
You can do that in 3.5 - move to get up from prone, standard to shoot, free to drop to prone.

I don't think that will change in 4e.

Thanx, I forgot it was a free to drop prone, thats what I get for not bringing my books to work.

fafhrd

First Post
I suppose it depends on what constitutes 'ducking'. If you're comfortable with them being prone, that should work fine.

ltbaxter

First Post
Good question. Standing up is (I would think) a move action. Most powers that allow you to move before and after an attack specify it clearly in their rules. RAW I don't think you can do what you described. If any foe has something equivalent to Shot on the Run that would do it. Party would have to counter with getting to the tables quickly otherwise readying a ranged action to fire when they poked their heads up.

D.Shaffer

First Post
Even if they cant do it as written...this is 4th ed!

GIVE them the ability to do it if you think i'll make things interesting! Isnt that what the new monster design philosophy is all about?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads