• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[4E; Any Edition] Light Sources?

cjais

First Post
In my next little dungeon crawl, I am considering using the lighting rules for the first time. Previously I have just ignored them as they seemed too fiddly and painful to constantly check for and apply as needed. Also, with a combined torch (burst 5 of bright light) and the at-will light spell (burst 4 of light), it just seems like the whole board would be covered with bright light anyway.

How do you DMs deal with it? Do you ignore lighting rules, use them as intended or simplify them somehow? I am aware that by ignoring them, you're effectively giving the "normal vision" races a pretty big benefit under certain circumstances.

I suppose this is mostly for 4E DM's, but I'm also interested in hearing how DM's of other editions tackled this problem. Do you find it easier to apply under 3rd edition, for example?

DaveyJones

First Post
torch or lantern occupies a hand. important for spellcasting or trying to arm yourself with weapon or shield.

torch and oil for the lantern only last so long.

i don't make the players tell me when they replace a torch or refill the lantern. but i do keep track of time.

cjais

First Post
torch or lantern occupies a hand. important for spellcasting or trying to arm yourself with weapon or shield.

torch and oil for the lantern only last so long.

i don't make the players tell me when they replace a torch or refill the lantern. but i do keep track of time.

Exactly. That, and the fact that they're exploring an old tomb made me want to try it out. Who wants to carry the torch? Almost everyone is using both hands for weapons or shields, leaving the wizard in the back to carry it. Should be fun. I'm also filling the tomb with flourescent fungi to provide dim lighting everywhere, so I won't have to go to the trouble of checking for both total concealment, light concealment and normal light. Just dim or bright light.

Still, that wizard can place a light spell a new place every round, thus making sure there's sufficient light wherever the fight takes place.

Pbartender

First Post
Also, with a combined torch (burst 5 of bright light) and the at-will light spell (burst 4 of light), it just seems like the whole board would be covered with bright light anyway.

That's not as much as you think... In 3.5E terms, the characters won't be able to see farther than 25 feet or 20 feet away (and technically, that's all bright light with no dim light beyond it).

It may illuminate the entirety of a small room, but in the dark outdoors, in long hallways or in large cavern, it'll make a difference how far the light goes.

I simply use them as intended. Sunrods' huge light radius in 4E is my only complaint. I've solved that by making them less commercially available after character creation... My players are still hording the 10 that they started out with.

Nebulous

Legend
My players typically carry around an everburning torch and sunrods. They're never for lack of light, but that light only goes a certain distance, although a sunrod is 20 squares and effectively the whole board. But they only use those when someone knowing their presence is not a problem.

I actually find that paying attention to how many squares a light shines heightens tension.

Pbartender

First Post
Still, that wizard can place a light spell a new place every round, thus making sure there's sufficient light wherever the fight takes place.

No, he can't. Reread the cantrip... While he can carry the light with him, he can only have one active at a time. Plus, enemies with ranged weapons (like a simple bow), can stay well out of the light radius and still see the light source enough to attack the party.

Plus, it means all the other party members need to stay within 20 feet of the Wizard, of they want to see.

Vorput

First Post
How do you DMs deal with it? Do you ignore lighting rules, use them as intended or simplify them somehow? I am aware that by ignoring them, you're effectively giving the "normal vision" races a pretty big benefit under certain circumstances.

We just ignored them (in 4e and 3e). It's too much of a hassle (IMO) to track. If I cared enough to have something attack from ambush, I'd just say- 'from just outside your sight range a....'

cjais

First Post
That's not as much as you think... In 3.5E terms, the characters won't be able to see farther than 25 feet or 20 feet away (and technically, that's all bright light with no dim light beyond it).

It may illuminate the entirety of a small room, but in the dark outdoors, in long hallways or in large cavern, it'll make a difference how far the light goes.

I simply use them as intended. Sunrods' huge light radius in 4E is my only complaint. I've solved that by making them less commercially available after character creation... My players are still hording the 10 that they started out with.

Thanks for replying. I've banned sunrods in my campaign, conveniently solving that problem.
What I meant with the bit about torches and the light spell is that between these two light sources, you could theoretically have 202 squares of the map lighted up. Of course, that's rarely the case as they often overlap, but I guess I'm just predicting the wizard casting a new light spell every round at the back of the room, and with the torch in front that's the whole room covered. That's why I'm a bit hesitant to use these rules if all it comes down to is constantly checking for light, when there's perhaps only a single round with an obscured target.

Also thanks for pointing out that checking for lighting heightens tension, that's something I hadn't thought about. However, if there's a lot of work involved (constantly checking for light) with very little effect on gameplay (only in a few single cases is the target obscured), then I'm thinking of just ruling that there's bright light everywhere.

Maybe sabotage their torches somehow, or restricting access to them?

cjais

First Post
No, he can't. Reread the cantrip... While he can carry the light with him, he can only have one active at a time. Plus, enemies with ranged weapons (like a simple bow), can stay well out of the light radius and still see the light source enough to attack the party.

Plus, it means all the other party members need to stay within 20 feet of the Wizard, of they want to see.

I think we misunderstood each other then. What I meant was that the wizard could just move the light source/spell every round, ensuring plenty of light between that and the torch. Also, don't forget that the wizard can target a square with light, it doesn't have to be a held item. That's why I'm wary of the wizard simply "filling out" where the torch can't shine.

Maybe I'm taking this a bit too seriously? :erm:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads