• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E Art Direction--Yay or Nay

Jon Wake

First Post
I'm curious. Looking at the PHB (which I'm sure we all know is more than likely a proof) is anyone else feeling seriously underwhelmed by the art? I know that a lot of people had problems with the 3e art, but the art I'm seeing for the PHB is decidedly sub-par what WOTC has been putting out in their 3e line. Now, there is a chance that the copy everyone is looking at 'at a friends house' is the uncorrected proof with placer art, but if not, and when I open the paper PHB and I see some of the shoddy anatomy and dull composition, I have to wonder where WOTC dropped the ball.

Thasmodious

First Post
Like any book full of illustrations some of it is hit or miss. I don't care for this artist or that artist's work and someone else disagrees, loves it, but doesn't care for another artists. But, generally speaking, I really like the art. It's vivid, action oriented. I love the full page art that opens each chapter, very striking and most of it is the highest quality art in the books, which it should be, of course.

Sojorn

First Post
Weird, everything I've seen on the website and in previews has been above what I remember from 3rd in terms of quality.

Some weaker pieces, sure, but the general level seems to be higher.

Might just be me though. And they might be burning all their quality stuff on previews as well. :)

Traken

First Post
The 2 page art spreads are absolutely amazing. They also make it really easy to pick out chapters.

The thing I'm still trying to get used to is not having a background. It does look a lot neater, but it's almost got a hospital feel.

Other than hospitals, the only art I actively dislike is the weapon/armor illustrations. Just something about them is throwing me off. Ah! Figured it out for the weapons... it looks like watercolor.

And whoever modeled for the leather armor had some killer hips (or no waist)! :D

Moonshade

First Post
I pretty much like the various PC race pics in the three books and many of the full pages are beautiful. In the MM, the demons and first two groups of devils are great. But I was rolling my eyes over the MM actually reusing several pieces of 3E art (there's the Oriental Adventures hag from '01, there's the more recent Demonweb Pits succubus...).

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I was never a big fan of the 3rd Ed art, but I absolutely adore the art in the 4th Ed books. The colours are vivid, the characters look interesting and are doing interesting things. These pictures make me want to sit down and play D&D!

Durlok

First Post
It's not the best I've ever seen, but I'd say that the quality of what I've seen is consistently higher than most of what 3.x had. I like it.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Hit or miss, there are some good pieces in the mix. Most of the good pieces are the big 2 page spreads, the one by Jason Engle in particular is very good. The Steve Argyle work is great too. On the other hand quite a few bad pieces as well. Then there are all the re-used pieces. Bunches of them, and more than a few pics where they blatantly photoshopped two or more 3e images together into a single picture.

Remove ads