D&D 4E 4e ask a simple question, get a simple answer

Benoz

First Post
Why is the Barbarian using MBAs?

Actually he is not, i used his MBA only for comparison.

That also allows you to think about daily resources like Action Points.

That seems fair.

I'm also going to toss out an issue that I saw with your build- you only seem to have 2 items. Even if you got +1 versions of those previously, you're still probably an item or two short (standard treasure parcels would give you 4 items every 5 levels plus some gold, and you've now gone through seven levels). That becomes a problem as you level up, and if you don't have a neck item, your defenses are definitely below what's expected.

Thank you so much for bothering giving me these informations.
Is there any online resource (or manual) to get a general idea of average items number/level and/or damage output, AC, NAD, etc., at each level?

MwaO

Adventurer
Thank you so much for bothering giving me these informations.
Is there any online resource (or manual) to get a general idea of average items number/level and/or damage output, AC, NAD, etc., at each level?

Generally, the goal is that a striker might be able to kill an at-level opponent in 4 hits. They ought to do that in approximately 6 swings. And APs and Daily powers will cut those 6 swings to 5 rounds total. So pretend for a second that you have a party of 4 strikers attacking a party of 4 at-level standards — you'd expect to on average kill the opponents in 5 rounds.

This tended to get expressed by CharOp in the following formula - a standard Striker ought to do 20/40/60 damage per round with at-wills. An optimized one would do 30/60/90 damage. And of course, many strikers would do some optimization and do a ton more damage, but that was the benchmark at 10th/20th/30th levels.

Finally, you probably ought to get about 4 items per 5 levels. If you're using inherent bonuses, you'd get 2 items. You can buy common items, too. You'd expect a typical monster to have level+14 AC and +12 NADs. A typical PC would have +15 AC, +13 NADs. A Defender would likely have a total of +4 additional, usually to AC+Reflex from Heavy Shield scattered around.

Obviously numbers vary a lot...

MM3 math on a business card for monsters:
http://blogofholding.com/?p=512

The other numbers to memorize are 3, 5, 8.

A generic monster's attacks are Level + 3 vs. F/R/W and Level + 5 vs. AC, and it deals Level + 8 damage with its generic attack. Its 'limited' powers (Encounter, Recharge, or the rare monster Daily) deal about 150%-200% of its generic damage.

Obviously there are a lot of nuances to monster design, but these are good benchmarks to know.

docsalty

First Post
Hello!

I just created a human fighter and would as the thread intends ask a simple character creation question!

Ive choosen to create a human fighter. My starting abillity score in strength is a total of 18. According to the following info (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/human) under the heading "Standard racial traits" - Ability Score Racial Traits: Human characters gain a +2 racial bonus to one ability score of their choice at creation to represent their varied nature.

Does this mean that I start out with this standard racial trait? Thus, if my choice is strength my starting abillity score of strength is maxed out at lvl 1 with a total ammount of 20?

MwaO

Adventurer
Does this mean that I start out with this standard racial trait? Thus, if my choice is strength my starting abillity score of strength is maxed out at lvl 1 with a total ammount of 20?

Yes, if you have a pre-racial stat bonus of 18 and get a +2 to that stat, you start with a 20. And then you can raise it to 21 at 4th, 22 at 8th, and so on...

docsalty

First Post
A question about Base attack bonus calculated in the beginners box Fighter intro paper/guide:

Please see the pic here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Kupbh2ofs-Kt1lNdCrsqJB6ai_zt0fUo

As a lvl 1 human fighter with a strength of +16 (str modifier=+3) and the starting combat feat weapon focus: Long sword as in the beginners box, I get the calculated attack bonus to +5 and not +4 as in the printed guide above.

The equation should be as follows? +3str mod +1 base attack bonus which all lvl fighters start with +1 from the combat feat weapon focus: Long sword. Thus with a long sword equipped it should equal +5 and not +4 as listed above?

MwaO

Adventurer
A question about Base attack bonus calculated in the beginners box Fighter intro paper/guide:

Please see the pic here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Kupbh2ofs-Kt1lNdCrsqJB6ai_zt0fUo

As a lvl 1 human fighter with a strength of +16 (str modifier=+3) and the starting combat feat weapon focus: Long sword as in the beginners box, I get the calculated attack bonus to +5 and not +4 as in the printed guide above.

The equation should be as follows? +3str mod +1 base attack bonus which all lvl fighters start with +1 from the combat feat weapon focus: Long sword. Thus with a long sword equipped it should equal +5 and not +4 as listed above?

Think you have the wrong thread — this is just for 4e D&D related questions, not Pathfinder...

Remove ads