• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e Blackmoor? Forked Thread: Pray for Dave Arneson!

timbannock

Hero
Supporter
Google is my friend....I guess we should post these links around and try to get this puppy to sell so we can get it up on Amazon and the like:

Dave Arneson's Blackmoor 4E (GSL)

$35.29

Dave Arnesons Blackmoor : 4E GSL | Blackmoor > RPG | Code Monkey Publishing | Infinity Games UK
£24.79 (roughly $34.68)

$35.29

http://www.orcsnest.com/blurber.asp?title=Dave Arnesons Blackmoor 4E: The First Campaign.
£26.99 (roughly $37.51)

paizo.com - Store / Games / Roleplaying Games / D / D&D 4th Edition / Code Monkey Publishing
$36.00 (but currently unavailable)

Jack99

Adventurer
It doesn't help that I can't find this book available on Amazon in hardcopy, nor on DrivethruRPG in PDF form.

Anyone got a list of resources for purchasing this book? All I could find (other than second-hand sources like an Amazon store, but not Amazon itself) were a couple of RPG specific sellers (RPG shop, Orcs Nest).

Is it only dead-tree?

It's on RPGnow now as well.

Crothian

First Post
I just downloaded the PDF. I really like the art in the book and now will have to see what it looks like in print because art always look better on the printed page to me. The new classes look interesting. They are creative and not just other classes reworked that I was fearing.

From my quick look through my one complaint is no table that lists all the feats and their requirements.

dragonier

Community Supporter
Gah...! I saw that Noble Knight had it on their site for a few bucks less than most of the prices listed here, but now it seems to have vanished from their product list. :(

Ya' snooze, ya' lose I guess.

Estlor

Explorer
Got my copy in from Noble Knight yesterday so I haven't gotten through the whole thing yet. Some off the cuff remarks:

While I only have the Goodman Games 3e setting book it already looks like 90% of the art is recycled from the 3e books. Not necessarily a problem (I'm okay with budget-shaving if it gets the setting into our hands again), just an observation. Likewise, I get deja vu in certain sections as paragraphs of text were lifted whole cloth from the 3e setting book. Things that jumped out at me were Dave Arneson's introduction, description of the docrae, paragraphs in the dwarf and westryn elf section, etc. I'm assuming this will get worse when I get into the setting description. I think the paper quality is better than the old Goodman book; at least on par with the Advanced Player's Guide (the only other non-WotC GSL book I own), which was very good and durable.

I like the way they handle tieflings. It really ties them to the inherently magical nature of the North. I'm a little disappointed certain PHB2 races weren't addressed (*cough* gnomes *cough*) but that may have something to do with the development cycle of this book and where the GSL was at the time.

I'm a little put off by the Arcane Warrior. I get it's designed to mimic a paladin (but with an arcane spin), but I hate, hate, HATE when MAD is built into a class. With its method of marking you're either forced to ignore the Str/Wis build and always be a Str/Int Arcane Warrior, bump both Int and Wis evenly and therefore never use implement attacks (since your Wis will be way behind Str), or accept that your mark's side-effect will become a joke as you progress through paragon into epic tier. That not withstanding, it does succeed in being distinct enough to exist alongside a Swordmage without either totally stepping on the other's toes. With all the elemental effects I could see this as great synergy with the genasi.

I haven't read enough of the other classes to really give a valid critique of them yet. However, at first glance I wonder how a mystic defends with poor AC and if a wokan is truly best called a "hybrid" role. It seems like the powers either lean controller or leader so you could play it either way or as a poor man's version of both. It's definitely an interesting spin on the idea of multiple builds in a class. As for the mystic - I suspect I'll find the secret to its ability to be a defender once I do more than skim it.

I think it was a bad decision not splitting the feats out into heroic, paragon, and epic sections. I could understand if it was a space/cost decision that prompted it, but with them all together they really should have given us a table with them split out. As it is, you have to flip through the whole section to find feats and pay attention to [PARAGON] and [EPIC] after the feat name to know which tier it belongs to.

I realize I'm coming across a little critical here. Let me say this: what I've read so far is good. It seems like a solid (not so) little book with a far better grasp of the rules system and what makes for a good PC option than the 3e setting book had. Plus, hey, thouls! Rock on! And sand people, so we've officially got our first four-armed PC-friendly race statted up. I was surprised/pleased to see that back in the back of the monster section. It seems reasonably balanced considering. I'm not sure I'd let them in as a PC race since you could effectively build a tempest fighter that still can use a shield, but it does prove the dual wield/defensive weapon rules are so well designed that dual-dual wielding PCs don't gain anything over two-armed PCs.

dragonier

Community Supporter
Gone already?

I've checked the North American online retailers detailed earlier in the thread (Paizo, Noble Knight, Gamer's Attic/RPGShop), and no one seems to have it for order. I can't believe I may have missed this release. I'm finally in a financial position where I can order it, and I can't find it anywhere. :(

Has anyone had better luck finding it anywhere? Thanks in advance.

Jack99

Adventurer
Must be the former. After all, we all know without doubt that 4e is not selling as well as previous editions. ;)

I stand corrected Joe, you are obviously correct. My bad. Maybe I should switch back to 3.x, since I will probably never be able to find someone to play 4e with me....

evillaugh.gif

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads