• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Campaign Idea w/ Core Fluff - The Sundered Isles

Novem5er

First Post
The Sundered Isles

The Skinny:

Dungeon & Dragons with islands; a medieval Jason and the Argonauts, where players sail from island to island, encountering strange civilizations, fighting savage monsters, and uncovering ancient treasures and secrets.

This is NOT Pirates of the Caribbean. There are no pistols. There are no cannons. There are no Ships ‘o the Line. Think battle-thirsty orcs in longships. Think hobgoblin slave galleys with their long oars threshing to the beat of a relentless drum. Think of a group of adventures in a single-mast cog, catching the wind and sailing off to their next adventure.

The Past:

In antiquity, the Sundered Isles were all one land; a single continent that stretched to the frozen north and the burning south. It was a time of high-magic and social progress. A civilization, known only now as the Ancients, spread its culture across the land. The Ancients used their benevolent wisdom and magical might to scatter hordes of native monsters, and carved wide swathes of prosperity from a wild land.

However, with peace came idleness, and the Ancients ignored the fledgling kingdoms of Bael Turath and Arkhosia that grew at their borders. Fueled by infernal magic, Bael Turath swelled in power before the Ancients could meet the threat. The Ancients tried, too late, to repel the armies of Bael Turath, and their doomed fate was sealed when the Dragonborn of Arkhosia invaded from the other side. Caught between two young empires that shared a thirst for conquest, the Ancients faded into legend.

The conquerors did not cease their expansion with the demise of the Ancients. Bael Turath and Arkhosia clashed where their new borders met, and so began a war that lasted generations. With each passing year, new magics were developed, and new weapons forged. War consumed the continent until all were caught in its iron grip. The empires fought themselves into a stalemate that only desperate measures could break. Whether it was one last, vile ritual performed by Bael Turath, or the awakening of primal dragon by Arkhosia, or even a curse from the gods themselves, the war was ended with the immediate destruction of both empires . . . and the continent they fought for was sundered beneath their feet.

The earth cracked open and the sea rushed in. Mountains rose where fields stood before, while great hills slid into the foaming deep. One land was now many, and ruin befell all.

The Present:

A thousand years have passed since the Sundering, and creatures of both good and evil live scattered across hundreds of islands, with little memory of the world before. Over the centuries, civilizations adapted to the land and sea around them, developing ships and sails. A few civilizations used their maritime prowess to expand their influence across the Isles, colonizing savage lands and trading goods from distant ports. Though for every empire that rose, another would fall. The human realm of Nerath, the last great empire, collapsed in on itself one hundred years ago, plunging the Isles into another period of darkness.

Yet, for all that has been lost, much as been learned, and there are still ports that offer safe harbor for those who would brave the treacherous seas.

The Isle of Cyphos

Cyphos would be the starting point for the campaign. The PCs could either be Cyphos natives, or with a little more work, could be recent immigrants from another island. Cyphos is a medium-sized island, roughly 40 x 25 miles in size. It was one of the first colonies established by the Nerathi empire, and though it has been hard, the port city of Fallcrest still survives. The landscape alternates from rocky hills to wide plateaus, and mountains dominate the eastern edge.

The Races on Cyphos:

Humans: The port city of Fallcrest was originally a Nerathi colony, set up to take advantage of the high plateaus by growing grain, grapes, and herding sheep. Though the population is smaller than it was during the height of Nerath, the agricultural environment has allowed Fallcrest to become modestly self-sufficient. Merchant ships still come and go, but their visits are less frequent. Strangely, several young men from Fallcrest have disappeared over the past few months, and residents whisper of a predator that stalks the streets at dusk.

Halflings: Of all the races of the Sundered Isles, Halflings are the most mobile. Having mastered the art of constructing small, fast ships, Halfling clans avoid much trouble on the seas as they travel from port to port. A clan of land-dwelling Halflings makes its home on Cyphos, using the Slick River to serve as go-between merchants between the city of Fallcrest and the Dwarves of Kazah-Rue.

Dwarves: The settlement of Kazah-Rue was chartered two hundred and fifty years ago with the permission of the Nerathi Senate. The dwarves emigrated to Cyphos and built a mining colony in the eastern mountains on Cyphos, trading iron, copper, and silver goods to Fallcrest down the river, and out to the rest of the Nerathi colonies. The mountains still host several tribes of native kobolds and, recently, it’s been rumored that a new mineshaft has broken through into a large cavern complex that plunges deep into the earth.

Elves: Rumored to have inhabited Cyphos since before the Sundering, the Goldenleaf Elves live a nomadic lifestyle, migrating each autumn from the Norwood to the Surwood, and back again in spring. Though few creatures would attack the tribe when gathered as a whole, the forests of Cyphos hide many dangers, just waiting for a lone elf to step outside the firelight.

Eladrin: There are no Eladrin native to Cyphos, as this race dwells within the Feywild. However, when the Dwarven colonists first explored the hills of Cyphos, they stumbled upon a white tower built high upon a ridge. This tower is now known to most as the Star Tower, as Eladrin mystics visit the tower to study the stars of Midworld, appearing and disappearing at whim. Some young Eladrin have been known to linger on Cyphos, and even live for a time in Fallcrest. However, nobody but the Eladrin has ever entered the Star Tower, and when the Eladrin are gone, the tower is magically sealed as tight as a tomb.

Dragonborn: Few among the many races of the Sundered Isles remember the name Arkhosia. Only among the Dragonborn are stories of its glory still told. However, even as it is their pride, Arkhosia is also their shame, for some stories also speak of the hubris that sundered the land. Today, small groups of Dragonborn live in Fallcrest, descendants of mercenary units that served the Nerathi Empire. These Dragonborn work mainly as hired muscle or sometimes as officers within the Fallcrest militia, and a brave few have ventured off in search for secrets of their lost empire, and answers to where it went wrong.

Tiefling: If Arkhosia now exists only in story, then Bael Turath is nothing more than a ghost that haunts the dreams of its Tieflings descendants. It is a blessing that the other races know little of the Tieflings’ infernal background, and even less of the devilish empire that conquered and then helped sunder the land. Today, Tieflings on Cyphos are a normal part of Fallcrest society; acting as merchants, sailors, and occasionally positions of influence within the city government. There is some tension between Tieflings and humans of low-status in Fallcrest, as a generation ago there were many young dockworkers that went missing, and a Tiefling warlock was eventually blamed. Now it again appears that some young men have vanished, igniting old embers of fear and distrust.

Other Isles of Note:

Nerath: Once the capital of the Nerathi Empire, the island and city of Nerath is a shell of its former majesty. The island of Nerath is roughly 40 miles wide by 200 miles long, and is the biggest of the known Isles. The city of Nerath is part metropolis and part mausoleum, as half the once magnificent city has fallen into neglect and quiet ruin. Still, the city is alive with bustling trade, and marble monuments dominate a skyline lit by magic lights, some still operating after three hundred years. The Nerathi Senate looms over the city from their domed capital building high upon the Senate Hill. Though their power is but a fraction of what it was a hundred years ago, the powerful and decadent families of the Nerathi elite still dream of spreading their ships, and their power, across the seas once more.

Skullport: Named for the unnatural rock formation that surrounds this grotto, Skullport is a hive of conflict and illicit trade. The city and port are housed within a massive vault where Bone Mountain meets the sea. Sunlight filters in through two massive “eye-holes” far above, and ships pass between massive stone columns that form the “teeth” and only entrance to the port. The dim-lighting, easy defenses, and a no-questions-asked atmosphere, encourage traders and pirates of all races to call Skullport home. Ork raiders trade their stolen goods to human merchants, while hobgoblin overlords trade slaves. Anything can be bought and sold in Skullport, from poisons to potions, and bad deals often end in bloodshed. Despite the chaotic nature of its many denizens, Skullport is considered neutral ground. Patrols of Dragonborn mercenaries keep a rough order, paid for by Skullport’s mysterious proprietors.

Meta-game Notes:

I’ve been developing this campaign idea for about 2 months now. What’s more “points of light” than literal islands scattered across a dangerous sea? The toughest time I had when conceptualizing this campaign was figuring out how the more primitive monsters got everywhere. Did trolls build ships too? Kobolds? No. I realized that by making all the islands part of a single, ancient landmass, the current-day monsters could be descendants of monsters trapped in that area during the Sundering.

From the perspective of a DM, using islands as points of light and darkness is great because it narrows the physical area of an adventure, while leaving room for easy expansion. If players get off track during an adventure, they can only go so far as the island’s borders. Once players have access to a ship, they will be limited to sea-charts of known islands and routes. This might seem limiting to the players, but I see it as helping to focus them. In a way, it also frees up the story to move beyond a defined geographical area. Players with a ship can travel hundreds of miles rather easily without the DM having to plot every mile of the trip out on a map. If the DM has an idea for a new area, he or she can just plop it down on the map and feed the PCs rumors of its location.

What do you think?

Last edited:

NebtheNever

First Post
This is scarily like a campaign setting I developed for a game I ran when third edition first came out. I was also planning on adapting the setting to 4e's PoL setup. I even had the idea of the islands being created after an event called the Sundering. *shakes head* crazy.

Sounds cool intriguing. Potentially very Earthsea or Drake's Kingdom of the Isles (which is inspired by SUmerian mythology) in flavor.

The concept would encourage a lot of shipboard travel and exploration, and it makes it very easy to drop in weird, dangerous, or previously untouched sites that were unknown islands hidden by mysterious fog banks.

Sleeping Dragon

First Post
I did a massive double-take when I saw this thread title, considering I ran an eighteen month long Iron Heroes campaign called the Sundered Isles myself! They were completely different in everything but name though - my Sundered Isles were a series of islands magically separated from the rest of the world which a large empire sent its prisoners to.

Your Isles look very cool too :D

Rex Blunder

First Post
Wow, who knew that the combat chapter of the 3e PHB was such a fecund source of campaign ideas that 3 people independently had sundered isles?

I propose some new areas to this world:

-A series of islands near Nerath, enslaved by the humans, and not allowed weapons. Name: The Disarmed Isles

-A series of isles whose population was recently invaded by longboats chock-full of goblins, who now swarm everywhere. Name: The Overrun Isles

-A series of swampy isles, where lizardmen hide among the reeds and cattails. Name: The Bulrush Isles

LordArchaon

Explorer
NebtheNever said:
This is scarily like a campaign setting I developed for a game I ran when third edition first came out. I was also planning on adapting the setting to 4e's PoL setup. I even had the idea of the islands being created after an event called the Sundering. *shakes head* crazy.

Me too, really first campaign idea when 3e came out. Never developed, nor played it though, because since I bought the FRCS book, I fell in love with the more exotic realms. Oh, I was of course planning a Nelanther isles campaign too...

Novem5er

First Post
Thanks for the feedback so far. It's amazing so many people have had similar ideas with similar (or the same) name! I guess it's not an entirely original idea (duh, just a bunch of islands!), but I've never really played in a game like it.

A couple more ideas I've had:

For sea-based random encounters (or "traveling encounters" for the non-random DMs), you could obviously have enemy ships approach and engage. I've already mentioned orcish longships and hobgoblin slave galleys. Of course, human pirates (or mixed-race pirates!) is a must. But eventually, ship to ship combat would get stale. So how about this for a traveling undead encounter:

The Dead Mists - At the time of the Sundering, untold souls lost their lives . . . but they did not go willingly. Where now there is only open water, once were great cities, and the collective horror of all those lost lives results in an eerie mist that drifts across a region. On some days the sky is clear and others the mist is simple vapor, but when the stars are right, the dead walk the mist.

Imagine a group of PCs sailing through a seemingly normal fog bank, when the mist begins to gather. Suddenly, shadows materialize from nowhere and skeletal fingers grasp the deck rail. The PCs have to fight off the dead until the ship clears the Dead Mists . . . however many rounds that may be :)

Any other suggestions? I'm planning on running Keep on the Shadowfell, and setting it somewhere on the starting Isle of Cyphos. I hope it works out.

BTW, I recently watched a Discovery Channel program about dinosaurs. Apparently, they believe that pterodactyl like dinosaurs with a 40' wingspan migrated from the coast of N. America to a chain of islands in the middle of the Atlantic, several hundred miles away with no land to rest on. How does this relate to D&D? Dragon's don't need ships!

Novem5er

First Post
Another Idea. . .

Gobholl

Amongst hobgoblin society, the lowly goblin is a mere second-class citizen. Goblins enjoy few rights of their own and even highly skilled goblins, such as scribes and shipwrights, are seen as little more than servants of the state.

But on the isle of Gobholl, goblins rule their own. It is likely true that hobgoblins want nothing to do with the festering isle, but the goblins of Gobholl take pride in their independence. Gobholl is a small island, no more than a dozen miles across in any direction. The flat island rises barely above sea level, and due to frequent rainfall, most of the island is a bog. The one positive advantage the island has is that its wet soil is rich in nutrients, which feeds the tremendous cypress trees that blanket the island with their thick canopy. In the cool shade provided by the cypress, fungus of all shapes and sizes grows abundantly in the muck. This fungus provides the goblins of Gobholl with a stable supply of food, and one that requires little work to cultivate.

Adventures:

Players exploring Gobholl will be traveling through thick forests with marshy ground. The dense terrain means that the players can travel greatly unnoticed, even for such a small island. However, players will undoubtedly encounter goblins collecting mushrooms, and all sorts of vermin such as the giant centipedes that skitter over the muck. Just like their hobgoblin brethren, the goblins of Gobholl make use of slaves acquired through trade or battle, so the players may come to Gobholl as a rescue mission.

The largest structure on Gobholl is the Crooked Tower. Built on a salt marsh near the coast, the Crooked Tower is home to the leaders Gobholl and several hundred of their cronies and henchmen. The tower was built by goblin hands over a hundred years ago, and has slowly been sinking into the marsh that surrounds it. One side is sinking faster than the other, however, giving the tower its name. Captured players would be brought to the Crooked Tower to face judgment in front of the gob-bosses, who might be convinced that a PC has more to offer than becoming a simple slave.

Stormtalon

First Post
Heh, similar in scope but more down-to-earth than the 3.x campaign I've been running for a while. I went a *wee* bit bigger, too -- I didn't just break a continent, I broke entire worlds and left the remnants drifting in an endless sky.

I also made it a lot more recent, too -- it happened a mere two weeks before the campaign started, and the prologue gave every player a hint of what it was like to live through their world being torn completely apart.

Remove ads