• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e Change of mind

After lots of sessions of 4e D&D, has your view changed?

• Positive about D&D 4e at the start then went off it

Votes: 57 16.4%
  • Negative about D&D 4e at the start then grew to like it

Votes: 25 7.2%
  • Positive about D&D 4e at the start and still like it

Votes: 192 55.2%
  • Negative about D&D 4e at the start and still don't like it

Votes: 74 21.3%

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
Got excited by the previews.
Enjoyed the demos.
Enjoyed running the ENworld pre-release version
Tossing my 3e stuff on eBay was wonderful.
Enjoy running the actual 4e game.

BUT...I have a shelf full of RPGs and I don't need any one game to fulfill all my hopes and dreams 24/7 which seems to be a problem for many people.
I am pretty much in exactly the same boat, except that I never bothered with the ENWorld pre-release stuff, and I still have all of my Third Edition books (though I don't plan to run or play that game again).

Still, D&D Fourth Edition isn't the only game in Mhacdebhandia Town. From where I sit I can see books for Star Wars Saga Edition, World of Darkness, Vampire: The Requiem, Werewolf: The Forsaken, Mage: The Awakening, Promethean: The Created, Changeling: The Lost, and Hunter: The Vigil . . . elsewhere I have books or PDFs for GURPS Fourth Edition, Unknown Armies, NEMESIS, Don't Rest Your Head, Dogs In The Vineyard, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Traveller . . .

While it's well known that a majority of gamers play some version of D&D, I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of gamers who visit sites like this one play games other than D&D - at least "in addition to" if not often "instead of".

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Because they're realising they don't like 4E.
And of course you'll be right here to don the armor to protect her virtue. Isn't it easier just not to threadcrap if you don't like the topic?

Except when the topic is a forum-crap.

Seriously. EVERY week we have this kind of poll. You don't need it that often. It serves no useful purpose other than to crap on the system you do not like. When is enough enough? When will people just be satisfied with the game they chose rather than insisting on telling everyone how much they dislike the system the did not choose, and seeking some sort of external affirmation from others that their choice was valid or popular?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
When will enough be enough? Probably about the same time people stop posting in threads to oppose the very existence of the thread.

When, oh when, will people uninterested in a thread just move on and be satisfied with threads they find interesting?

knasser

First Post
I voted negative initially and grew to like it, but that's not quite accurate.

What happened was that I got interested in D&D as all the previews were coming out because the idea of running a heroic fantasy game appealed to me (I'm probably unique in this thread in not having come from a previous edition). However, as more details emerged I grew frustrated because there were many things about 4e that looked good, but the ever more-obvious fixation on combat got worse and worse. So my initial feelings were wanting it to be good, but feeling negative. The feeling only really started to change for the better when books like Draconomicon and Manual of the Planes began to appear. These are very good books and they did much to offset my opinion that 4e was all about combat. The fluff is rich.

However, I still have reservations. I've yet to make up my mind on skill challenges, but the way 4e limits character concepts is a real frustration to me. About half an hour ago, I created a pre-gen character - a sixteen year old tiefling warlock girl. I wanted her to have an Infernal Pact because it fit her backstory perfectly. But the trouble is, her role-playing stats are a slim, slightly fragile girl with great charm and charisma. And Infernal Pacts are fixated on Constitution. The rules keep insisting that she should be a Feylock. There are a lot of niggles like that. It's not as if I'm trying to create a physically weak fighter or some conceptually unsound. It's just an arbitrary decision for the much adored "balance" that Infernal works on health and Fey works on Charisma. You can't separate out abilities either. For example, it's impossible to have a frail but magically powerful mage because of the way level bonuses work. Any wizard who can wield great magics can, de facto, also swim raging rivers and scale cliffs like a mountain goat. 4e can handle Gandalf, but Raistlin is right out.

So my opinion has gone from greatly frustrated to kind of frustrated. I've come to consider 4e to be a great tactical game, but rather poor in terms of role-playing.

I also made the mistake of hanging out on the WotC boards during the initial release where any comment about 4e's shortcomings would instantly bring a great vengeance from hordes of people chanting: "You don't need rules to roleplay." ;)

Dannager

First Post
About half an hour ago, I created a pre-gen character - a sixteen year old tiefling warlock girl. I wanted her to have an Infernal Pact because it fit her backstory perfectly. But the trouble is, her role-playing stats are a slim, slightly fragile girl with great charm and charisma. And Infernal Pacts are fixated on Constitution. The rules keep insisting that she should be a Feylock.
So make her a Feylock, and reflavor the Fey powers to draw their energy from the Abyss, or wherever. This isn't rocket-science. It will preserve the mechanical balance the game assumes while giving you the flavor you desire.

I also made the mistake of hanging out on the WotC boards during the initial release where any comment about 4e's shortcomings would instantly bring a great vengeance from hordes of people chanting: "You don't need rules to roleplay." ;)

Well..............you don't.:p You don't need such complex rules to kill a few goblins either.

Roman

First Post
I was cautiously optimistic when 4E was first announced. 3.5E was good, but I am a person who likes a bit of change now and then, so I thought 4E might provide that. I was a bit worried that the direction of that change might not be in the direction I like, but I thought the change would not be huge anyway, so I would be willing to accept it for the sake of novelty.

Well, there was change alright and it was indeed not in the direction I wanted to see. Unfortunately, it went so far in the direction that doesn't fit my style, that I could not overlook it and with each new preview I liked the game less and less. I kept on reading the previews, hoping in the back of my mind that other areas of the game, as yet unpreviewed, would reverse course, but I more or less new it was a vain hope. By the time 4E came out, it was crystal clear to me that I didn't like it. The design philosophy was more or less the opposite of what I wanted. Needless to say, given its diametrically opposed design philosophy, I still don't like it.

Still, I didn't vote, because I am not sure whether this means I was positive about it at the beginning (when it was announced) or negative about it at the beginning (when it came out).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I voted the first option, despite not having played 4Ed- it was the closest one to my experience.

While I love 3.X, I was perfectly willing to adopt 4Ed, and even pre-ordered my Core 3 as soon as I could. As I started seeing leaks of the content, I started seeing things I didn't like, so I stopped reading the leaks. I wanted to judge the system as a whole, not piecemeal.

When I got it and read it, I was quite disappointed- I felt it was an interesting system but not what I was looking for. Still, I let the others in my game group read it over as well. None of them liked it either, so I shelved it.

I'm not full of vitriol over what WotC did. I'm still open to the possibility that some future product might change my opinion of the system, and even more open to the possibility that a future edition of the game- 5th? 6th?- might again be more to my liking.

jokamachi

Explorer
Was unsure about it at first, then I playtested it and felt even more unsure. Once I got my free PhB I really didn't care for it at all. Sold it and the other freebies I got on eBay.

Haven't bought a single book since 3.5

Not planning to buy anything else from Wotc. Not even minis.

I'm saving tons of cash and my SO loves me for it!!!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads