• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E Class Survivor - Round 6

Which 4E class do you want to vote off the list?

• Avenger

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Barbarian

• Druid

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Fighter

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Invoker

Votes: 22 14.6%
  • Paladin

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • Ranger

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • Rogue

• Sorcerer

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Swordmage

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • Warden

Votes: 27 17.9%
  • Warlock

Votes: 35 23.2%
  • Wizard

Votes: 5 3.3%

• Poll closed .

Herschel

Adventurer
Vote boring (I'm looking at you, Ranger)

I can see people not liking other classes for various reasons, but the sheer dull repetition of roll, roll, "Do I hit?" roll, roll, "X damage" gives me a headache.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
To be fair, he was a pregen with a spare freaking stat point in point buy

Ackkk hate pregens to pieces we do... I often don't empathize with those characters even if they did work well.

We build characters at 6th level generally so I often have enough feats that I dont feel even a bit bound up ... to get the Witchy flavor in I ended up having learned caster and a familiar of course...and using Maledictions and Blood and Alchemy is really in there too...
It sounds like you did a lot of dodging not wanting to hurt your allies (which means your results would be quite variable depending on who you played with).

I wont be playing the Gandalf character and I am not in to Moses either ;-) but now Witches... thems me likes.

Dausuul

Legend
Vote boring (I'm looking at you, Ranger)

I can see people not liking other classes for various reasons, but the sheer dull repetition of roll, roll, "Do I hit?" roll, roll, "X damage" gives me a headache.

Yeah, rangers are pretty dull. On the other hand, their capacity for mind-boggling damage numbers redeems them a little in my eyes. Dishing out eighty points of damage in a single round is pretty satisfying.

Tallifer

Hero
The warden seems to come from the on-line roleplaying game Dark Age of Camelot, where it was a support class in the Celtic realm. I never understood its role or iconography there (although I confess I mostly adventured in Albion), but it seems in comparison quite clearly defined and useful in 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The warden seems to come from the on-line roleplaying game Dark Age of Camelot, where it was a support class in the Celtic realm. I never understood its role or iconography there (although I confess I mostly adventured in Albion), but it seems in comparison quite clearly defined and useful in 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons.

hmm I have Green Knights (I know sounds fey but they arent in my game world ) and I have lots of Celt influences on my personal iconography, perhaps that is why they fit in... I have them set as a group of body gards for a bunch of semi-druidic style priestesses... for me this is the warrior part of the old druid.

Almacov

First Post
Ack.
The Warlock is actually one of my favourite classes in the game.
The flavour is very rich, and it permeates the mechanics. Mechanics that may not produce optimal damage output, but produce very interesting effects, and do so at significant and dramatic times.
Warlocks have architecture in place that opens them up to design tricks that are unique to the class, and give them a feel all their own.

I think they were a worthy addition to the first PHB, and a wise replacement for the Sorcerer. (which I find bland in its PHB2 incarnation, though Arcane Power made strides to make it more interesting.)

I've been voting Swordmage, personally.
While I like the Aegis mechanic generally, the class just doesn't have a strong enough flavour for me.

Dire Human

First Post
Two things will keep you alive, in my eyes.

1. A strong flavor. Wardens, Warlocks, and Invokers have this going for them, so they win out despite being "the new kids". I don't care what any of the above say, these guys have a grim sense of style and totally float my boat.
  2. Stable, balanced mechanics. Fighters, Rogues, and Avengers are dry as toast, but their rock-solid sense of class and interesting mechanics moves them up.
Therefore, I nominate the Ranger. Dear god, the Ranger. I hate to admit this, seeing as I loved the concept of them becoming Martial initially, but taking the Primal out of them has really turned them generic and bland. Twin Strike (for its pushing aside every other at-will) and Hunter's Quarry (for being a bad rip-off of Warlock's Curse and Oath of Enmity before OoE was even made) seal their fate mechanically. The only thing saving them is their broken damage numbers? All the more reason to drop them.

Also, see what I did there? I gave reasons why I hate them, not just "omg drop warlock its dumb". Come on, guys, even if you have to copy and paste from previous threads, don't clutter the discussion with one-sentence posts.

Last edited:

lud

Explorer
The Story so far...

We should never forget the fallen...so I volunter to record the events leading to their last moment with us:

Code:
Round   Victim     Origin Role  Hit / Total (%)   Runner up (vote, lead) 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1     Artificer  EPB    Lead  31 / 180 (17.22%) Warlord (29, +2)
  2     Warlord    PHB1   Lead  49 / 211 (23.22%) Shaman (45, +4)
  3     Shaman     PHB2   Lead  58 / 199 (29.15%) Warlock (31, +27)
  4     Bard       PHB2   Lead  45 / 266 (16.92%) Warden (39, +6)
  5     Cleric     PHB1   Lead  54 / 266 (20.30%) Warlock (51, +3)
  6     Warden     PHB2   Def.  44 / 266 (16.38%) Warlock (42, +2)
... ok the last line is an attempt at manipulating the flow of history...

PS. Is there a way to make real table or at least not loose extra space between words? Thanks Dave!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads