• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E Combat isn't like WoW, it's like Street Fighter.

N0Man

First Post
I think people have got it backwards. Fighters aren't casting spells, but rather wizards spells have turned into fighting moves.

The wizard can Cast Magic Hadoken (er, Missile) as often as they want, and they'll never run out.

Everyone has special attacks (whether martial or spells) that are limited in how often they can do them, like a power bar.

The Defender challenges aren't like WoW taunts. Monsters still have the choice whether to attack the defender or not, they will just get punished for it, and getting punished for certain tactics is what Street Fighter is all about.

Maybe the action is over the top, swashbuckling action, but I don't have a problem with that at all. I actually like it. I think they've made the combat vibrant and exciting, with tactical options and rewards teamwork more than D&D ever has before.

But like Wow? What a tired comparison, when there are so many other comparisons that could be made.

Besides, the original design of WoW (despite what people might feel it has become) was largely based on creating a game that was easy to learn, but had still had enough depth for an advanced player, was fun, made you into a hero from the very start instead killing rats and bunnies like the typical MMRPG, and tried to ditch elements of game play that reduced fun and excessively punished players without any real gameplay benefit.

Those aren't bad things in any game.

beeflv30

First Post
I am tired of the WOW comparison as well. As for the Street Fighter comparison , I can see it. I am a huge fighting game fan and can see the parallels (Mabye someone will make a Street Fighter game system using the 4e rules and the open gaming licence). I am liking the new system and can see a bright future ahead of it.

Ander00

First Post
Boarstorm said:
I'd go with Double Dragon, personally.
Yeah, 4E is supposed to promote the team aspect as well, so that'd be a better fit insofar ;). Or Golden Axe, for that as well as its magic system with spells that are more powerful the less frequently you use them (or the better you are at kicking gnomes).

cheers

DonTadow

First Post
N0Man said:
I think people have got it backwards. Fighters aren't casting spells, but rather wizards spells have turned into fighting moves.

The wizard can Cast Magic Hadoken (er, Missile) as often as they want, and they'll never run out.

Everyone has special attacks (whether martial or spells) that are limited in how often they can do them, like a power bar.

The Defender challenges aren't like WoW taunts. Monsters still have the choice whether to attack the defender or not, they will just get punished for it, and getting punished for certain tactics is what Street Fighter is all about.

Maybe the action is over the top, swashbuckling action, but I don't have a problem with that at all. I actually like it. I think they've made the combat vibrant and exciting, with tactical options and rewards teamwork more than D&D ever has before.

But like Wow? What a tired comparison, when there are so many other comparisons that could be made.

Besides, the original design of WoW (despite what people might feel it has become) was largely based on creating a game that was easy to learn, but had still had enough depth for an advanced player, was fun, made you into a hero from the very start instead killing rats and bunnies like the typical MMRPG, and tried to ditch elements of game play that reduced fun and excessively punished players without any real gameplay benefit.

Those aren't bad things in any game.
People use wow because mmos were what the game was modeling after and wow is the pinacle of gaming.

YOu see wow one way, I see mmo's as role playing less games where you hack and slash your way through from quest to quest. So when i look at 4e, and you see the focus on combat and cool moves you can't help but see an mmo.

No designer of the game has every said "they wanted it like a fighting arcade game". Yes other mmos came before wow. Yes you can compare cool moves and actions to a loto f games. But the marketing model and design of this game is to attract mmo players. And I'd love to hear from anyhone who ever had a good role playing experience in an mmo.

SKyOdin

First Post
Fighting games like Street Fighter are not a bad thing to borrow ideas from if you want a dynamic combat system. From what I have read in interviews, the developers of the MMO City of Heroes looked at a lot of superhero fighting games such as Marvel vs. Capcom for inspiration for their combat system.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads