• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E Creature Collection from Fiery Dragon

alleynbard

First Post
As for "fluff," to me it is comparing close to the AD&D MM. You can argue about quality, but the amount is about the same (several monster groups have most of a page of description).

Art is comparable to the first Creature Collection, IMO (if you throw out the few abysmal pictures in the original).

Personally, that level of fluff works for me. Keeps everything nice and loose so I can easily integrate it into my homebrew. That was one of the things that definitely appealed to me about the 4e MM as well.

Thanks for the update. It has become even more appealing. Once I scrape the cash together I will be picking it up.

Personally, that level of fluff works for me. Keeps everything nice and loose so I can easily integrate it into my homebrew. That was one of the things that definitely appealed to me about the 4e MM as well.

Agreed--if the book had been done like the first Creature Collection with massive amounts of Scarred Land fluff to work through, I wouldn't be interested in buying it. But what's been described here? I could easily work most of this into my own world.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I hope I've been clear, despite my desire for even more fluff, this is a book worth buying if you like monsters.

And, there is new art (as there are more versions of monsters - except I could use a whole book on the "ratmen"), there is just some of the old art I didn't like (and some I really did - love the gorgons).

Jack99

Adventurer
I hope I've been clear, despite my desire for even more fluff, this is a book worth buying if you like monsters.

And, there is new art (as there are more versions of monsters - except I could use a whole book on the "ratmen"), there is just some of the old art I didn't like (and some I really did - love the gorgons).

Don't forget the Dryad (first one anyway) ;)

avin

First Post
I bought it from RPG DRive Thru... there's 4 downloads yet for me. If there's some errata or small update PDFs will be updated also so I can download the errated version?

Nebulous

Legend
Well, i broke down and bought it too from rpgnow, and...I like it. I really like it so far, although i'm not too deep into it. Claudio did a nice job on the art, and i have to say, that initial asaatthi snakeman entry makes a better yuan-ti variant that the real yuan-ti. And there was a lot of fluff too, imo.

EDIT: actually all the artists did a good job, and i like this monster book better than Dangerous Denizens.

Last edited:

Klaus

First Post
I bought it from RPG DRive Thru... there's 4 downloads yet for me. If there's some errata or small update PDFs will be updated also so I can download the errated version?
I pretty positive that any changes done for the print run will be done to the PDF as well. That's just how Fiery Dragon rolls.

:D

Scott Holden

First Post
Upcoming products

Hey all,

I can't speak for the long term, but I do know I've already started working on the Relics & Rituals 4E book. There has been talk (but only talk!) of maybe a setting book or something like that, and some adventures, but honestly, treat that all as hearsay at this point in time. We really need to see how well the monster book does and to discern what kind of interest there might be in further titles.

As someone noted earlier, we're a small operation (just five guys, all of whom have other jobs and, for the most part, families), and we all do this more or less for fun. But we'll do our best to get this stuff out to you as fast as we can.

Cheers,

Fiery_Dragon

First Post
Hi everyone,

I'm back on the boards, and now on this thread. Here are a few generic answers that may satisfy curiosity.

The Creature Collection is our first release under the licensed Sword & Sorcery imprint. We're hoping it does well, and would certainly like to do more with the S&S products. As Scott noted, we're at work on the 4E version of Relics & Rituals, although that's going to be a much more complicated book than Creature Collection (which had the basic building blocks in the 3 and 3.5 versions... Relics & Rituals would be a lot tougher to do a conversion due to the rules changes between editions).

At FDP, our focus is not on rpg product, as shocking as that may seem. That's certainly what got us into the business and is our primary passion. But, our evergreen products are our line of mini-games, the Counter Strike series. After that, our counters have really picked up with the introduction of 4th Edition, especially in the digital realm. Aside from those lines, anything without Monte Cook's name on it is a tougher row to hoe, as it were, and at this point in time, resources are allocated according to risk. We picked up the Scarred Lands stuff after I sold my house and had some extra coin in my pocket -- that's not the case anymore, so we're going to take it slow.

Definately interested in Relics & Rituals. Definately interested in Creature Collection 2, if the first one does well -- more new monsters, less conversion of old stuff (but including any missing favorites).

As far as Scarred Lands, I've done some preliminary work and had a group of brainstormers, but haven't been able to dig in depth again until now. It looks like more of it will be done in-house, with sweat-equity as our investment. I'd like to release it as a series of PDFs over time and then release it as a boxed set in the future.

I don't see Relics & Rituals hitting for GenCon -- we'd have to have it done a few weeks ago for that to happen. But, the Creature Collection will be there (unless PDF sales totally tank and we have to rethink it.)

These are big properties for us, and have lots of personal worth, so we wanna do them right instead of rushing.

Any tweaks, updates or changes to the PDF will certainly be available to re-download, so no worries about buying it early. We always make sure that our customers are covered.

Beyond that, please keep the ideas coming. What would you like to see? What would you put in Creature Collection 2?

- James

Remove ads