• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e D&D GSL Live

No beholders, apparently.

And no making derivative games. So Mongoose couldn't, for instance, make a new edition of Conan that uses the 4e style of powers and class progression. But I think they could make up their own game that hews pretty close. I mean, if you're not trying to make your book compatible with WotC's D&D products, you don't need to use this license, and you could probably be legally justified to adopt a lot of their ideas, while still using the old OGL.

TimeOut

First Post
MatrexsVigil said:
Yeah, my understanding of legal-speak is very, very limited. Can anyone post what this allows to be published in normal talk? Please?-P.C.

First, IANAL.

GSL2080617 said:
3. Licensed Products. The license granted in Section 4 is for use solely in connection with Licensee’s publication, distribution, and sale of roleplaying games and roleplaying game supplements that contain the Licensed Materials and are published in a hardcover or soft-cover printed book format or in a single-download electronic book format (such as .pdf), and accessory products to the foregoing roleplaying games and roleplaying game supplements that are not otherwise listed as excluded in Section 5.5 (“Licensed Products”).
*snip*
For the avoidance of doubt, and by way of example only, no Licensed Product will (a) include web sites, interactive products, miniatures, or character creators; (b) describe a process for creating a character or applying the effects of experience to a character; (c) use the terms “Core Rules” or “Core Rulebook” or variations thereof on its cover or title, in self-reference or in advertising or marketing thereof; (d) refer to any artwork, imagery or other depiction contained in a Core Rulebook; (e) reprint any material contained in a Core Rulebook except as explicitly provided in Section 4; or (f) be incorporated into another product that is itself not a Licensed Product (such as, by way of example only, a magazine or book compilation).

So...
You can create a hardcover or soft-cover printed book format or in a single-download electronic book format, or anything else what does not fall under those terms:
  • No websites, interactive products, miniatures, character creators
  • Don't describe how to create a character or how to level it up
  • Don't use "Core Rules", "Core Rulebook" or something like it on your cover
  • Don't refer to and use artwork from the corebooks
  • Don't reprint stuff from the core books
  • Don't include your work in magazines or other publications that are not licensed under the GSL (This includes websites, so don't publish on your website?!)

Shroomy

Adventurer
I noticed that all the demons, devils, slaad, beholders, and yuan-ti, plus the tarrasque, are not available under the GSL. Let the bitching begin!

MatrexsVigil

First Post
But can I say, make up a completely new race?

Can I give say, Dwarves, different stats?

Could I change the powers available to say, Fighters?

Could I change a specific power's statblock?

I'm looking for what I am allowed to write/change for publishing. =)

-P.C.

Remove ads