• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e D&D GSL Live

Rechan

Adventurer
Shroomy said:
I noticed that all the demons, devils, slaad, beholders, and yuan-ti, plus the tarrasque, are not available under the GSL.
The 3e SRD doesn't have: Yaun-ti, displacer beasts, carrion crawlers, beholders, mind flayers, slaad, or umber hulks.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
11.1 Termination. This License and the rights granted hereunder will terminate automatically upon written notice to Licensee or upon posting on its website of a termination of the GSL as applied to all licensees.

Ouch!

Otherwise, about what I expected. Big thanks to Scott, Linae, and everyone else who worked so hard to bring this about. Now you guys can open the champagne bottles... :)

TimeOut

First Post
Please note, this is only my current understanding of the license upon reading it a few times and crossreferencing the introductory section of the SRD and the FAQ. I might be totally wrong.

MatrexsVigil said:
But can I say, make up a completely new race?

GSL FAQ said:
Q: Can I define a new class?
A: Yes.

I would say this applies to races too.

Can I give say, Dwarves, different stats?
No, unless they are called something else. Reasons:
GSL FAQ said:
Q: Can I extend the definition of a Defined Term?
A: No. You cannot change the substance or the meaning of the definition.

Could I change the powers available to say, Fighters?
You could add more powers, but not change or remove existing ones.
GSL20080617 said:
not define, redefine, or alter the definition of any 4E Reference in a Licensed Product. Without limiting the foregoing, Licensee may create original material that adds to the applicability of a 4E Reference, so long as this original material complies with the preceding sentence.

Could I change a specific power's statblock?
No, same reason as above.

MatrexsVigil

First Post
Hmm. Okay. That just means if I want a fighter-like class in my setting book, I should call it anything but a Fighter, so I can work with it as I see fit. Thanks. =)

-P.C.

xechnao

First Post
My question is if someone can add and define new rules such as new character options like relationships and responsibilities, mass combat rules and the like.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Rechan said:
The 3e SRD doesn't have: Yaun-ti, displacer beasts, carrion crawlers, beholders, mind flayers, slaad, or umber hulks.

Yep, I know, I was just listing the obvious things removed from the SRD on a quick glance. However, removing all of the existing demons, devils, and the tarrasque is definitely new.

Also, if you cannot change the definition of a 4e term, does that mean no demon succubi even though the succubi is not part of the SRD? IANAL, but my reading says that you couldn't redefine the succubi.

Remove ads