• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e D&D PC games

borc killer

First Post
Thanee said:
NWN 3 (4e) sounds like a good idea (it's not done by Atari, BTW, they just publish it; it's done by Obsidian).

A *good* D&D MMORPG would be nice. Close to how you play tabletop with a group, just with multiple groups roaming a HUGE world (FR preferably).

And a ToEE style D&D game, maybe RttToEE? ;)

Bye
Thanee

First, isn't Atari selling everything off? I know their deaths have been prophesied a few 100 times but they are currently in very bad shape. I personally think EA will own them very soon or at least the parts that matter.

Second, NWN2 was made by Obsidian and it did not even hold a candle to the first by BioWare. Just like KotOR and KotOR2. In no way do I want Obsidian to touch any other game franchise that I hold dear. The guys at Obsidian just seemed to have lost their magic when Black Isle went away, maybe they will pull it back together but I have not been happy with their latest work. Not that I like EA… but I am holding out hope that they don’t destroy BioWare.

Lastly, a MMO would be cool… a Planescape MMO would be KILLER (as has been talked about hear before). It is the perfect world for it… but with the great wheel gone I am not sure how you pull that off, but I am sure you can find a way to get the city of doors working again with little trouble. Unfortunately (for us D&D folk) BioWare looks to be making KotOR as a MMO and I just don’t see the stars aligning correctly for us to get a good MMO anytime soon. At least not a good one.

Thanee

First Post
borc killer said:
Second, NWN2 was made by Obsidian and it did not even hold a candle to the first by BioWare. Just like KotOR and KotOR2. In no way do I want Obsidian to touch any other game franchise that I hold dear. The guys at Obsidian just seemed to have lost their magic when Black Isle went away, maybe they will pull it back together but I have not been happy with their latest work. Not that I like EA… but I am holding out hope that they don’t destroy BioWare.

Yep BioWare > Obsidian.

That comment wasn't meant to say whom I would like to do it, but was more like a reply to Phasics. :)

I actually havn't played NWN2 yet, despite having bought it when it was new; but will do so eventually. ;)

Bye
Thanee

captaincursor

First Post
Atari is the publisher of all Hasbro games on the consoles and PCs I believe. There have been numerous stories about how Atari is being threatened with being de-listed from their stock exchange. Unless there is some major shakeup that gives Atari different management and/or operating capital, or something happens with the contract between them and Hasbro I wouldn't look forward to any 4e game of any quality anytime soon. Most developers who could produce a good game would need a stable and well funded commitment from their publisher to produce a game of quality.

But since WotC is definitely making their ruleset more video game friendly (not a knock), one might assume that they have something unannounced in the works. So here's hoping.

Transit

First Post
Regarding the Temple of Elemental Evil game.

There's a pretty loyal fan base that has created mods and patches to fix a lot of the problems.

http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/ToEE/index_co8.php

In particular, the "Circle of Eight" mod pack not only cleans up a lot of the bugs, but also adds new content, and generally makes the game much more playable.

So if you have the the TOEE game, but gave up on it because it was so buggy, you might want to use this fan patch and play it again. Kind of like getting a brand new D&D PC game for free.

They're also working on a fan made "Keep on the Borderlands" adventure that will play with the original TOEE engine.

Lackhand

First Post
captaincursor said:
Atari is the publisher of all Hasbro games on the consoles and PCs I believe. There have been numerous stories about how Atari is being threatened with being de-listed from their stock exchange. Unless there is some major shakeup that gives Atari different management and/or operating capital, or something happens with the contract between them and Hasbro I wouldn't look forward to any 4e game of any quality anytime soon. Most developers who could produce a good game would need a stable and well funded commitment from their publisher to produce a game of quality.

But since WotC is definitely making their ruleset more video game friendly (not a knock), one might assume that they have something unannounced in the works. So here's hoping.
Your "definitely" is my "oh my god that looks less so".

Consider the immediate action. Consider the player interface for a limited-number-of-times-per-day immediate (or free) action.

Cry yourself to sleep. (edit: Immediate actions, hero or action points, and similar player-empowerment tools. These are our weapons against our robotic overlo-- er, I mean, the things that make me think D&D 4e is approximately as videogameable as D&D 3e (both of which are harder to make games of than D&D 1e/2e). If a human can trace the bonuses, type system, and so on, then so can a machine; the difference is that humans are more forgiving of "hang on a tic, that didn't happen -- I'm using a hero point" than a computer is!)

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I having nothing really to add other than to say I miss isometric, turn based, party CRPGs with all my heart.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Pretty much give me a new edition of Neverwinter Nights and I'm happy.

I'm doubly happy if you clean up the GM interface and module creation toolkit so that's it's comparably easy to use as, say Neverwinter Nights 1, and it's a go.

--Steve

Orius

Legend
I'll also have to say a 4e version of something like BG or NWN. Those two games were the pinnacle of D&D electronic gaming in their respective days. Hell, they probably still are. We'd probably have to wait a few years for a decent take on 4e though. Look at the Pool of Radiance mess that was released right around the time 3e came out, while BG came at the end of 2e, and NWN about 2 years into 3e.

Remove ads