• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E DMs: What setting are you currently using?

4E DMs - What setting are you currently using?

• Forgotten Realms - 4E version

Votes: 11 9.1%
  • Forgotten Realms - pre-4E version

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Eberron

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Dark Sun

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • Nentir Vale/default setting

Votes: 23 19.0%
  • Other D&D setting (Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Birthright, etc)

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Other non-D&D setting (Glorantha, Talislanta, Harn, etc)

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Homebrew

Votes: 36 29.8%
  • Homebrew hybrid (with major elements of published settings)

Votes: 19 15.7%

Hybrid Homebrew for me too:

I am running a War of the Burning Sky campaign where the Ragesian peninsula is across the sea from the main continent where the Nentir vale is (think Scandinavia vs the rest of Europe)

Dragonborn and Tieflings are not native to this part of the world, and most are descendants of the refugees from the wars between Bael Turath and Arkhosia.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Running an alternate timeline Dragonlance game, and playing in a Dragonlance game.

Running a Dark Sun mini-campaign.

And while I'm not currently playing this, I sure would like to play or run a 4e Golarion game. Glad to see so many folks here who are doing just that. :cool:

webrunner

First Post
Eberron. Love Eberron. I had a magical cart chase that had the fighter jumping between carts already, and a fight on top of the Rail.. a good time was had by all. It just lends itself to the "every fight has a dynamic hook" feel that 4E excels at. I don't know why it's kind of neglected as D&D's redheaded stepchild, when really it fits 4e better than 3.5. There wasn't an Eberron encounters, there wasn't an Eberron launch Penny Arcade cast, it just came and went with the occasional DDI thing. There's an update to FR next year but no Eberron... the only announced 4E videogame is Neverwinter, etc..

Stoat

Adventurer
I've been using the same homebrew campaign world since 1993. My current campaign is set there in an area heavily influenced by X1 - Isle of Dread, and Paizo's take on the Isle in the Savage Tide AP. Just for funsies, I put a large dungeon using the map of Castle Ravenloft from I6, on the Island's Southern Peninsula. There's no Strahd, however, the Castle was mostly occupied by goblin pirates driven insane by Far Realm influences.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
Homebrew with Nentir Vale/default setting combined with Greyhawk and non-specific settings from the pre-1983 D&D adventures. Names changed and swapped as desired.

I also use the World of Warcraft setting as a generic "backbone" for the whole thing. I picked up the WoW atlas books, which have great maps and good ideas for locations of inns and such. Just replace the names with Greyhawk names and there you go! Also, since most of my players have never played WoW, they don't even notice.

Oh yeah -- I also use the HackMaster "Garweeze Wurld" stuff when I need ultra-detailed filler, and there are big chunks of Nehwon and Conan-era Hyboria in there as well.

Da3mon

First Post
Nentir Vale

I ran my first game of 4e (and DnD for that matter) last sunday, and I used the default setting. It has a basic outline, and I can make stuff up and add them wherever I like. Its perfect for my Warehouse 13/The Librarian movies style adventures. Players gather magic stuff for a mysterious "Great Library" of the dragons, ward of enemy attacks, and get into trouble on their holidays :D

Remove ads