• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E [4e, Eberron] How's this look for a ported-over Mark of Detection?

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
(cross-posted to RPGnet)

Lemme know what you think. Here's the 3.5 version of the dragonmark of detection feat, House Medani...

Least Mark of Detection
(p. 64 ECS)

Grants the following benefits:

detect magic 2/day or detect poison 2/day; +2 to Spot rolls

4e version of the same:

Heroic tier feat:

Least Mark of Detection [Half-elf]
Prerequisite: Half-elf
Benefits: You gain a +3 feat bonus to either:
Arcana checks specifically to detect magic (p. 181 4e PHB), or
Skill checks made to detect poison (could involve Dungeoneering, Heal, or Nature checks, depending on the nature of the poison and the whims of the GM)

You also gain a +2 feat bonus to Perception checks.

Yes, no? Love it, hate it? Suggestions?

Basically, I'm running a 4e Eberron game and this dragonmark may be the only piece of work I need to convert from 3.5 to 4e to get the game going. I need a stopgap until more formal Eberron materials are released.

Scribe Ineti

Explorer
Of course, now I'm also thinking it could be something like this as a heroic level feat:

Least Mark of Detection [Half-elf]
Prerequisite: Half-elf
Benefit: You can invoke the power of your dragonmark to use the Least Mark of Detection:

Least Mark of Detection.............Feat Power
Daily * Arcane
Standard Action............Ranged
Effect: Make a Perception check. Use the result as a bonus to either:

An Arcana check made specifically to detect magic within range (p. 181 4e PHB), or
A single skill check made to detect poison at range (could be a Dungeoneering, Heal, or Nature check, depending on the nature of the poison and the whims of the GM)

Special: You must take the Least Mark of Detection feat to use this power.

SlimeGuru42

Explorer
I like the second version a bit more. Perhaps you could steal the detect magic rules for poisons? A dc or 15 (or 20) + 1/2 poison level to detect it. I'd consider making it an encounter power that lets you use perception instead of the normal skill.

OrienQuinn

First Post
I like this. I'd been trying to figure out how to work the Mark of Detection, in particular. I posted a thread here, which has some initial ideas for an Orien Dragonmark (although now I'm thinking that it would involve the Eladrin racial power as a daily, instead). For my most recent game, we needed a Jorasco mark, and we came up with this:

Least Mark of Healing [Halfling]

Prerequisite: Halfling, member of House Jorasco
Benefit: You can invoke the power of your dragonmark to use the Least Mark of Healing.

Least Mark of Healing ........ Feat Power
Daily * Arcane
Move Action .......... Close Burst 5 (10 at 11th level, 15 at 21st level)
Target
: You or one ally
Effect: The target can spend a healing surge and regain an additional 1d6 hit points. Increase the amount of hit points regained to 2d6 at 6th level, 3d6 at 11th level, 4d6 at 16th level, 5d6 at 21st level and 6d6 at 26th level. Add another 1d6 if you have the Lesser Dragonmark Feat and another 1d6 if you have the Greater Dragonmark feat.

In addition, you gain a +1 dragonmark bonus to your Heal skill.

Special: You must take the Least Mark of Healing to use this power.

I think the skill bonus is important for flavor, and a +1 isn't much. I'd add a +1 to Perception for the Mark of Detection, for example.

I'm thinking about making the Least mark above an encounter power. The Jorasco wouldn't be able to use it as often as a Cleric, since it's basically Healing Word with a kick at higher levels, but would still be able to use it more than once a day. I worry that once an encounter will be too much, though. Next up: Storm.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads