• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e Equipment list and nostalgia

BigCat

First Post
I got my 4e books this weekend (thanks Amazon!) and I had a weird moment of nostalgia when I saw the equipment list: it's so tiny! Not even a 10' pole!!!! I flashed back to my early days with the red box Basic set and it's similarly meager offerings. I remember the first time I opened up the AD&D PHB and saw the massive list of things I could buy with my loot. Good times.

BigCat said:
I got my 4e books this weekend (thanks Amazon!) and I had a weird moment of nostalgia when I saw the equipment list: it's so tiny! Not even a 10' pole!!!! I flashed back to my early days with the red box Basic set and it's similarly meager offerings. I remember the first time I opened up the AD&D PHB and saw the massive list of things I could buy with my loot. Good times.

I suspect that some of this will be covered in the future.

BigCat

First Post
Agamon said:
Short list is definitely a feature, not a bug, IMO.

I think I agree, actually. After initially noting how short the list was, I was actually hard pressed to think of very many specific things that weren't on it.

Where's Aurora's Whole Realms guide when you need it, eh?

I kind of like the short equipment list (though no 10' pole is bogus), but I sincerely hope we get some sort of beautiful and totally unecessary equipment book in future for those of us who like that sort of thing.

med stud

First Post
If you want a ten foot pole, go out and get one from the woods. If there isn't any woods nearby, use a spear or a staff. Why would a ten foot pole need an entry of it's own (except for nostalgia)?

Verdande

First Post
After comparing 3e's giant-ass list of useless equipment to 4e's short, concise list of things an adventurer could possibly need, I'd like to say that not having to look past three different kinds of locks, portable rams, iron pots, canvas, and other wierd crap in order to find my ropes, backpacks, and lanterns is an awesome thing.

I liked the utility kit aspect too, but nothing is stopping you from getting a pole, chalk, a water clock, or a sun dial. Players are (and should be) encouraged to think of creative solutions to problems.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Again: retro.

I see why...we never used much of that section either.

But I still sort of missed it. And of course they are coming out with Adventurers Vault, which may satisfy those craving more stuff even as it may also raise the question "why didn't this end up in the phb".

But I guess you cant have everything.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads