• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e Extravaganza Seminar (with Cover Pics)

FriarRosing

First Post
I am excited for any possible 4e CRPGs. It would be like a dream come true. That is, if they do it right.

I would love a plot heavy, turn based 4e game set in the Nentir Vale or something. If they made that, and it was good, I could just die happy.

Even without that, it looks like the upcoming year will be bad ass.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
Why would this surprise anyone? These games aren't published as a public service.

Really? That's where you're going to take that?

Perhaps an examination of the model itself would be in order. Perhaps something more sustainable would be more sensible, rather than pumping out book after book month after month.

There is nothing wrong with making money. WotC is a business; obviously that is going to be a priority for them. But the supplement mill is probably not the best way to do it. It might work now, but I have serious doubts regarding its sustainability.

Really? That's where you're going to take that?

Perhaps an examination of the model itself would be in order. Perhaps something more sustainable would be more sensible, rather than pumping out book after book month after month.
Why is this not sustainable? WotC is following this model since at least the year 2000 with the release of 3rd Edition D&D?

There is nothing wrong with making money. WotC is a business; obviously that is going to be a priority for them. But the supplement mill is probably not the best way to do it. It might work now, but I have serious doubts regarding its sustainability.
What does create this doubts?

What alternative models can you point to or do you propose that has proven the same or better sustainability?

Mallus

Legend
Why is this not sustainable? WotC is following this model since at least the year 2000 with the release of 3rd Edition D&D?
And TSR before them, for a quite a bit longer. It's been the industry standard for the large RPG publishers.

What alternative models can you point to or do you propose that has proven the same or better sustainability?
That's a good question. Has any company done it differently?

Mallus

Legend
Perhaps an examination of the model itself would be in order.
Well, they are experimenting right now w/a online subscription model. People seem to like that service.

It might work now, but I have serious doubts regarding its sustainability.
It might not be the most sustainable model, but is there any evidence that points to a better approach? The supplement mill has worked for decades.

Remove ads