• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E feats: impressions

Nine Hands

Explorer
Fallen Seraph said:
Though, I wonder could you take that feat, for untrained gain the +2, then another level take a feat to make it trained and get the +5 then take skill focus to get the +2 for a whopping: +9.

Umm....you don't get the +2 bonus anymore because its a trained skill now. Also Skill Focus is +3, not +2.

Celebrim

Legend
phil500 said:
There is a wizard one which has a requirement I dont like: spell focus, gives a -2 to all saves against your spells. Requires Cha 13? At first consideration it looks like a must have for wizards, so now they have to spend some points on cha.

Great moogly googly. Yeah, that indeed qualifies as a must have. You spells will endure nearly a half round longer on average. They better be really careful never ever ever to publish anything that stacks with that. Anything that gave an additional -2 to saves would be BROKEN.

Spending some points on charisma isn't so bad. You don't need to spend points on Dex because your Int can cover it. You don't need to spend points on Str because it doesn't do much for you. So you are going to spend points on Int, Con and either Wis or Cha but not both. Might as well be Charisma.

Antioch

First Post
Channel Divinity: Pelor's Radiance seems pretty strong. At first glance, I thought it sucked compared to Turn Undead due to the fact that it doesnt push things back and its range is reduced a bit.
However, the main highlight aside from the increased damage is that it stuns enemies instead of just immobilizing them; stunned enemies cannot take any actions at ALL.

So, I dont think that all the Channel Divinity feats sucks. :-D

baberg

First Post
phil500 said:
Do you mean feats which have feats as prerequisites? those are mostly gone.
The only one that jumps out at me are the Armor proficiencies. You have to be trained in Leather to get the Hide proficiency feat, have to be proficient in leather or hide to get chainmail, etc.

That, coupled with what I found answering another question (that Fighters aren't Plate trained by default while Paladins are) means that if you're a Fighter who wants to wear plate, you've gotta spend a Feat for it. Fortunately Plate requires scale, which the Fighter already has by default.

phil500

First Post
Antioch said:
Channel Divinity: Pelor's Radiance seems pretty strong.

So, I dont think that all the Channel Divinity feats sucks. :-D

yeah, i caught that one on second passing. it feels imbalanced compared to the other ones.

baberg said:
The only one that jumps out at me are the Armor proficiencies. .

personally i am really upset that clerics need to spend 2 feats to get full plate, and 2 more to get heavy shield. weak.

but it makes sense, like they said clers are no longer better at being fighters than fighters were. :(

Last edited:

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
I was at first sad that clerics aren't tanks, but the more I thought about it, the more I like it. Cleric are men of god(s), not full-time soldiers. :) Plus, you're more likely to go ahead and use a two-handed weapon since you're not "wasting" a shield proficiency.

I like the idea of a fanatical war-priest swinging a mace two-handed. Or spending a feat to pick up proficiency in, say, halberd.

Also, greatamericanfolkher, that's on purpose. In 3E you used feats to build your character and give him options. Now that's accomplished with utility powers and class features. Feats are just seasonings to existing abilities; they're no longer character-defining.

I really, really like that change.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Fallen Seraph said:
Though, I wonder could you take that feat, for untrained gain the +2, then another level take a feat to make it trained and get the +5 then take skill focus to get the +2 for a whopping: +9.

No, because as soon as you've got trained in the skill, you don't get the +2 untrained bonus any more.

malraux

First Post
baberg said:
The only one that jumps out at me are the Armor proficiencies. You have to be trained in Leather to get the Hide proficiency feat, have to be proficient in leather or hide to get chainmail, etc.

That, coupled with what I found answering another question (that Fighters aren't Plate trained by default while Paladins are) means that if you're a Fighter who wants to wear plate, you've gotta spend a Feat for it. Fortunately Plate requires scale, which the Fighter already has by default.
Even wilder, look at the stat prerequisites for it. STR 15 and CON 15? That's really tough.

Also, toughness got changed up from what we had been told.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads