• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4E Followers and Mercenaries

Fletch!

First Post
It's been a while since I've been on the site, but I have a question that my group could not answer. In 4E, is there any "official" mechanic for recruiting followers a la 3E Leadership or some other mechanism? What about recruiting mercenaries (minion vs. non-minion, level, combat role, etc.).

It seems to our gaming group that the game has evolved in a very linear, tactical direction, and a lot of more "strategic" campaign options like followers, reputation, strongholds, titles, and non-combat goals/rewards have been glossed over or neglected entirely, despite their possible impact in-game.

As I said, a long time since I've even lurked in the forums, so there might be a thread elsewhere...

Thanks,

Fletch!

renau1g

First Post
I don't believe there's any mechanics for what you're looking for as defined in the rules. Why do the PC's want followers? In 3e leadership was the most broken feat in the game as it is far superior to any other option for any PC, especially as you got to mid-levels. The game is more focused on the adventuring party as the heroes and not as concerned with the periphery figures (say henchmen). You could likely houserule using some of the older rulesets info to achieve the reputation/stronghold/attracting followers, etc.

The rules don't go into the non-combat goals as I think they're too varied to attempt to cover well, which is why the focus is on the main aspect of the game that the DM needs the rules for, namely combat. Adjudication of the other areas (non-combat) is pretty simple for me to wing, but if I didn't have combat resolution mechanics I'd be SOL.

So I guess long story short, no, not really, although if you really want to give them the option DMG2 has companion characters who could serve as followers.

Oh, welcome to the site

Ferghis

First Post
I would love to read some guidelines that tackle the issue, though. What could a wizard reasonably expect from an apprentice? A paladin from a page? A cleric from an altarboy? A Druid from his animal network? And so on.

srn

First Post
DMG2 has rules for making companions, which would be one mechanic to use for them.

I'd make them a story point - if a PC wants an apprentice (or if the DM wants to saddle them with one), just go for it!

I'd do it as a skill challenge, possibly, or let it evolve organically (the PCs rescue someone who turns out to be magically talented, for example).

Mengu

First Post
As noted, there are companion NPC rules in DMG, which can be used to accommodate for the occasional assistant.

But the focal point of the story is supposed to be the PC's, so long term NPC's are not recommended. There is nothing wrong with having strongholds, NPC's who serve the PC's in these strongholds, allies and minions who work for the PC's etc. But these are all story elements and don't necessarily need stats. The only creatures that need stats are those who will be involved in combat encounters.

As such, the squire who takes care of the horses, and the apprentice who keeps the wizard's tea warm can certainly be around. They just don't need stats.

Having said that, involving NPC allies in combat can bring a new dimension to the game. In my current campaign, the players are assisting some elves with the defense of their grove against some gnolls. I've statted out some tree ents as companion NPC's and gave them to the players to control for a couple encounters. They had a blast. I also statted out a unit of elven archers (one huge swarm), who helped out in a couple encounters. This gives the sense that there is a mass combat going on, while keeping the focus on the PC's, since the activation of a dozen elves goes by as quickly as one creature. It also added an extra element that the PC's wanted to protect the elf archers from harm as best they could so it gave them a secondary objective, while the gnolls tried to break through the PC line to get to the elves.

The squire, the apprentice, the cook, etc. can also have events happen "off camera" that could be summed up later. For instance an area is plagued by goblins, the heroes break camp to go find their lair, leaving their entourage safely hidden in a copse of trees. When they come back, there is a half dozen dead goblins, looks like the squire's now broken sword is embedded in one (and he's holding an injured wrist), the apprentice seems to have burned a goblin's face off with hot tea, and the cook took out the other 4 with a thrown skewer, a meat cleaver to the head, a fork to the chest, and a frying pan to the groin (you think that last one is still moving around a bit, groaning).

I think "on camera" NPC's should be used sparingly, and to add color or purpose to a fight more so than to give the PC's some benefit. "Off camera" you can go wild.

caudor

Adventurer
I'll give another nod toward Campanion Characters (DMGII). These rules have been great for me. I'd recommend to anyone who hasn't tried them.

Turtlejay

First Post
I think the hesitation is a balance or time in the spotlight issue. If the characters are all gaining followers or similar things that ceases to be much of a problem. Similarly, if you know your players would not care, not a problem. Charge them the 4e equivalent of a homebrewed Leadership feat, and stat them up a follower, DMG2 style.

I much prefer Mengu's approach, though. Give them followers, but in a non-combat role.

Jay

weem

First Post
DMG2 has rules for making companions, which would be one mechanic to use for them.

As noted, there are companion NPC rules in DMG, which can be used to accommodate for the occasional assistant.

Yes and yes!

I recently created some Companion Character Sheets to help out with this and used them recently in a game to great effect, allowing the PC's to play as some of their crew who had been captured. I think Companions are exactly the thing to use in your situation.

As far as rules helping determine how many you get and when... well... you are on your own (or at least, I am of no help there) hehe.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads