• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e - Forseeing the shape of thing to come?

In your opinion, what could be core in 4th edition...

• New core races from the Complete series like goliaths or illumians

Votes: 22 8.3%
  • New core races from Eberron such as warforged, shifters, changelings

Votes: 42 15.8%
  • New core races from Forgotten Realms such as planetouched

Votes: 52 19.6%
  • New core classes from Complete such as ninja and warlock

Votes: 64 24.2%
  • New core classes from Eberron such as artificers and magewrights

Votes: 47 17.7%
  • Swift and Immediate Actions (and spells) from the Complete series

Votes: 158 59.6%
  • Action Points

Votes: 137 51.7%
  • the Deathless type of monster (Eberron, Ghostwalk)

Votes: 45 17.0%
  • Flaws (from Unearthed Arcana)

Votes: 72 27.2%
  • Metamagic Feat overhaul

Votes: 190 71.7%
  • DnD will remain d20 rules based

Votes: 220 83.0%
  • Spell names will be simplified leaving out Greyhawk wizard names

Votes: 122 46.0%

edbonny

Explorer
3.5 definitely incorporated many Forgotten Realms elements (feats, spells nad even prestige classes like the Red Wizard). We all have been seeing a lot of new optional rules being repeated in the various "Complete" books. There are also a lot of cool ideas from Eberron that I could see making their way to the next version of D&D. That got me to wondering what are we seeing around us that will make its way into 4th edition?

- Ed

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Nothing on the list sounded likely to me. If you had said "increased need for miniatures" I would have selected that.

Rasyr

Banned
Banned
Heh! Phil beat me to it. IMO, 4E will be much more miniatures oriented, and likely to be something along the lines of a cross between Warhammer, the clicky minis from Whizkids (i.e. for the collectibility factors), and D&D.

To me, this just seems to be the way that Hasbro is upshing WotC to go. Minis = toys in Hasbor's lexicon, and they like toys. They also like things that require continuing purchases (hence the collectible aspects of the current D&D minis). Combine this with D&D and with the things that they have been doing with the RPGA recently (gaining points to get special cards that allow special abilities), and I think you may be getting closer to what 4E will look like.

As for the poll (you need to add a "none of the above" entry, and one for "more minis oriented" I think), it is quite possible that many of those items will be included as well, but slanted towards minis oriented play.

maddman75

First Post
With the new rules lighter d20 games like C&C or Blue Rose coming out, maybe they'll come up with a lighter rules version. But Phil has a good point, they'll want to keep selling those minis.

Maybe they could combine these seemingly opposing goals with the tendency for nostalgia, and come up with three different 'rules levels', depending on how tactical you wanted your combat. The Basic level is rules light and breezy, focusing on the action and narrative rather than specific rules. The Advanced level would have more exacting rules like five foot steps and AoO, and recommend but not require minis. The Expert level would require, or assume you are using, miniatures and don't mind detailed rules.

A real challenge for game design, because I don't envision this as three seperate lines or anything. The Basic game would be the baseline for all other versions of D&D. The Advanced is a collection of optional rules that lay on top of that. The Expert is even more rules. Everyone gets to play the way they like, products can be labeled for what level of play they are intended for, heck most products could be used for any level - just ignore the rules you aren't using.

Some ideas how this could work, with skills for instance. In basic, you get a number of skills depending on your class and Int modifier. If you're a fighter with an Int of 12 you get three skills. These are equal to your level +3 if on your class list, or Level -2 if not on your list. Moving up to advanced, skills are kept with individual skill points and can be split up among class and cross-class skills. Expert rules could add variations such as Synergy bonuses and specializations (bonus with one specific application of skill, penalty at others).

Now when you buy an adventure module, it tells you to roll a Spot check of DC 15 to see the orc. It doesn't matter if you're using Basic, Advanced, or Expert, because the means of determining is irrelevent. The same could be done with classes, magic, feats, and so on. Maybe basic just has a collection of feat paths such as "crusher", "archer", "fencer", while Advanced has the regular feats. Expert rules could include things like the tactical feats from CW.

Some will complain that they are then paying for rules that you aren't using, but you'll never make gamers completely happy. If WotC decided to give every gamer $50, there's be people on the net complaining that it wasn't a hundred.

Khayman

First Post
I'd say the metamagic overhaul --- then again, it's already underway with the addition of Sudden Metamagic.

Phil makes a good point regarding minis. Aside from their utility in combat, from a corporate standpoint they mean more stuff to buy. Either they promote that aspect of the game, or they start impregnating the pages with liquid crack. :confused:

EricNoah

Adventurer
Swift and immediate actions are good and necessary rules tweaks. Metamagic feats will probably get an overhaul, and I think action points will be in as an optional rule in the 4.0 DMG.

HiLiphNY

Explorer
I have absolutely NO INTEREST in discussing DnD 4.0! This is rediculous!!

I'm holding out for the 4.25 version - I hear that is where the real meat is gonna be!

Last edited:

Remove ads