• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Hitpoints are modelled after quantum mechanics

Dausuul

Legend
mach1.9pants said:
I tried to understand QP and failed miserably (I mean, FFS, the cat is either dead or alive no matter who is looking; damn you Schroedinger!) so someone who understands will have to answer me this:
Can even QP explain 1-1-1-1 movement?

Sure. The length of your legs remains indeterminate until you decide whether you're moving vertically/horizontally, or diagonally. Once you make that decision, the waveform collapses and the length of your legs is established--if you're moving diagonally, your legs are 1.414 times longer than they would be if you were moving vertically/horizontally.

As long as you keep moving in a straight line, your legs remain at their present length. The moment you stop or change direction, the length of your legs is no longer being observed and goes back to being indeterminate.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Lord Tirian said:
It also leads to the question: How do several wavefunctions interact with each other? Are they mutually exclusive and cannot be in the same quantum states? Surely not, hence they're probably Bosons, as the exclusion principle doesn't apply to them... does that mean, I can make a Bose-Einstein-Condensate out of adventures?

Sure why not, now that monster design is exception based. Though I would probably limit the power to solo monsters.

Derro

First Post
ZombieRoboNinja said:
Meh, if my group starts whining about "unrealistic" healing at night I'll just tell them the elves sprinkled magical fairy dust in their iron rations that makes them heal faster.

I can think of two of my players that would then begin setting fairy traps so that could harvest that dust to use during combat. Or maybe they'd just have big collections of caged fairies to peddle in town.

orcgirl

Explorer
Nytmare said:
Schroedinger's Cat - Level 1 Quantum Minion
Small Natural Animal XP 25

Initiative: +3, Senses: Perception
HP: There is a 50% chance that a quantum minion is dead when hit by an attack that deals damage, or when it's box is opened
AC: 14, Fortitude: 13, Reflex: 19, Will: 10
Speed: 6
m Claw: (standard; at-will)
+6 vs. AC; 1 damage.
Quantum Uncertainty: (immediate; at-will, when anyone asks if Scroedinger's Cat is dead)
Scroedinger's Cat automatically confuses anyone who asks if it is dead. Save ends.
Alignment: Unaligned, Languages: Feline
Str 3 (-4) Dex 15 (+2) Wis 12 (+1)
Con 10 (0) Int 2 (–4) Cha 7 (-2)

HAHA cute!! I Love it!!

pukunui

Legend
Dausuul said:
Sure. The length of your legs remains indeterminate until you decide whether you're moving vertically/horizontally, or diagonally. Once you make that decision, the waveform collapses and the length of your legs is established--if you're moving diagonally, your legs are 1.414 times longer than they would be if you were moving vertically/horizontally.

As long as you keep moving in a straight line, your legs remain at their present length. The moment you stop or change direction, the length of your legs is no longer being observed and goes back to being indeterminate.
To add to that, since a creature doesn't completely fill the space they occupy (whether it's one square or many), you could probably draw some sort of parallel to electrons and argue that no one can be certain as to the exact location of a creature within a given space and that it is therefore easier to just abstract diagonal movement to account for any possible variances in precise location or whatever. I'm not that good with math and physics but I'm sure someone who is could explain it better.

Nytmare said:
Schroedinger's Cat - Level 1 Quantum Minion
Small Natural Animal XP 25
That's one big cat! Shouldn't it be Tiny?

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Olgar Shiverstone said:
Hmmm ... I should try the quantum minion rules. On the one hand, they'd be easy to kill. On the other, they're un-killable. On average, only half-dead.
While a joke, this rule is actually not that bad - on each hit (or whenever it takes damage), a minion makes a save. If it's a success, it survives, otherwise it dies. Combined with a "maximum damage" (where it always dies), I think I'll even try it in my home game ASAP.

Cheers, LT.

Remove ads