• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Home Encounters

OnlineDM

Adventurer
NewbieDM and friends have just published their first encounter in their 4e Home Encounters series. The idea is that, since Wizards of the Coast is not releasing their D&D Encounters adventures for use in home play, the community is creating its own version that everyone can run however they like. I think it's a nifty idea, and I'll be curious to see if it catches on.

Apparently their cartographer had to bow out of the project, so the first adventure doesn't have a JPG map, just recommended Dungeon Tiles. I went ahead and created a JPG map based on their outline that's free if anyone wants to use it in a VTT like MapTool. I also PosteRazed it into a PDF that's printable, if anyone wants it.

Finally, I'm curious about the community's thoughts around having the Home Encounters be made available as a standing online game. For instance, if I said I would host a game in MapTool every Monday evening at a certain time, just to run the latest Home Encounter, would anyone be interested in that sort of thing?

homeencounters1_fullscale.jpg

_NewbieDM_

Explorer
Hey guys... glad you like the idea!
I certainly hope people find it and use it.
Thanks for making the maps, that's very useful.
Yeah, I figured that there would be others like me who can't make it to a gaming store on Wednesday nights, so why not do a community driven thing?
Thanks for the plug!

OnlineDM

Adventurer
Thanks for the XP all... but only one person interested in actually playing? (Thanks RavenBlackthorne!) I have to say, I'm surprised! I really think this is a cool idea, and something I'd like to support. I'm totally up for running or playing a MapTool 4e Home Encounters game sometime.

I'm also surprised that I seem to be the only one really jazzed about this idea. I honestly expected there to already be a thread about this on EN World with a fair amount of conversation. Maybe I'm just weird... and being weird by RPG standards is saying something!

Just to be clear, I have no official connection to this project or anything like that. I just read about it online and thought it sounded like an awesome community-building idea.

RavenBlackthorne

First Post
I'm also majorly surprised! Hopefully it'll pick up interest. Maybe people haven't seen your offer of a game because they were so excited about the map!

Brys

First Post
I'd love to see more Encounters/one-shot style adventures published (especially if they have maps). Even if I don't ever get to use them or play them, I love reading the idea behind the encounter.

I'd usually love to play the Encounter as well but can't commit to anything due to changing work/family schedules. I'd love to run through them as play-by-post though as that meets my schedule needs much better. I know it's not the same experience, but I have a fear of commitment...

OnlineDM

Adventurer
I've finally gotten an invitation to the Virtual Table beta, and it seems like this would be an opportunity to kill two birds with one stone - test out the Virtual Table and try out 4e Home Encounters.

I'd like to start a weekly 4e Home Encounters game using the Virtual Table. It would only be open to people in the Virtual Table beta, unfortunately. I think Monday evenings would be a good time to run it. Since it's just one encounter a week, I imagine it would take less than two hours.

I'm in the US on Mountain Time, and I'd probably want to run the game at 6:00 or 7:00 PM my time.

Anyone interested? Feel free to chime in on this thread or send me a private message if you are.

gamefiend

First Post
totally excited to see this! I did all the encounter design on Chapter 1, so I'm curious to hear what people think! I'm also talking to a couple of people about running some online games for people as well, so maybe we can make this a launching point for games? We'll try to make a lot of games available to people.

Remove ads