• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E 4e Incarnum Striker...please criticize!

fantasybandcamp

First Post
Ok first post over...so lets try and keep it constructive :D. I tried to keep it as balanced as i could see, but please let me know if you could think how i could balance it or keep it more on track of the idea of a kind of ranger/rouge/lock mix. I'm not good with balancing powers so those arent up yet.
The Basic Idea: Soularm - Sneaky Guy using 2H weapons...odd mix i know but i figure its not been out there and i kind of like it...whats better than sneaking up on someone and hacking them up with a greatsword? Soulglow (feel free to help with name) - ranger/lock, mobility with blasts...

Essentialist
"I will meld your soul to destroy you."

Class Traits

Role: Striker
Source: Incarnum
Key Abilities: Constitution, Dexterity, Wisdom

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth Armor, Leather Armor
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple Melee, Simple Ranged
Implement: Chakra Focus
Bonus to Defense: +1 Reflex, +1 Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + Constitution score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 5
Healing Surges: 6 + Con + Constitution modifier

Trained Skills: Stealth plus 4 others. From the class skills list below, choose 4 more trained skills at 1st level.
Class Skills: Acrobatics (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Dungeoneering (Wis), Insight (Wis), Perception (Wis), Religion (Int), Stealth (Dex), Thievery (Dex)

Build Options: Soularm Essentialist,Soulglow Essentialist
Class Features: Essentia Method, Invest Essentia, Midnight Shroud, Soul Brand

Essentialists harness the raw power of essentia to conquer their foes. They are lithe mercenaries who use their soulmelds as the ultimate weapon to cripple and destroy any who would stand against them. Their soul brands weaken the chakra of their enemies and allow their incarnum attacks to strike the marrow. You have used introspection, practice, meditation, and experimentation to harness the power of Incarnum and use it as tool for evisceration with the help of your soulbrand. You might be a Soularmed elf assassin who uses soulmelds to ensure the safety of his secluded forest from invaders; a disciplined Soulglow dwarf who fights and adventures for the honor of his clan, providing artillery for his friends from behind the lines; an orphaned halfling who uses a talent for incarnum to survive the slums and dreams of using his powers to achieve a better life.

ESSENTIALIST OVERVIEW

Characteristics: You combine fast, hard-hitting melee attack power with excellent ranged attack ability, and shift easily from melee to ranged combat. However, you are not very resilient and rely on powers of evasion and concealment to improve you hit-and-run style.

Religion: Essentialists favor deities of night, luck, power, or secrets. These include Avandara, Corelleon, Kord, and Sehanine. Evil essentialists often revere Asmodeus or Vecna.

Races: Dwarves make excellent essentialists, followers of Moradin devolped the Soulglow method as an extension of the Soulforge, where soul brands are believed to get their power from. Halflings pioneered the Soularm method as an incranum extension of their rougish tactics and strong sense of self. Elves, Humans, and Half-Elves also make formidable essentialists.

Creating an Essentialist

The two basic builds of essentialists are the soularm essentialist and the soulglow essentialist. Essentialists rely on Constitution, Dexterity, and Wisdom. No essentialist powers or class features depend on Strength, Charisma, or Intellegence.

Soularm Essentialist
If you choose to concentrate on melee, you find a good assortment of strikes to your liking. To achieve this build, make Dexterity as your primary score. Make Wisdom your secondary score and assign Constitution as your tertiary score. Make sure to concentrate on powers that work with melee attacks, since these play to your key ability scores.

Suggested Feat: Weapon Focus (Human Feat: Toughness)
Suggested Skills: Acrobatics, Bluff, Dungeoneering, Stealth, Thievery
Suggested At-Will Power: slow the soul, midnight strike
Suggested Encounter Power: cunning meld
Suggested Daily Power: azure trick

Soulglow Essentialist
You are a master of ranged combat, using your wisdom to discern the most effective way to attack from a distance. You prefer ranged attack powers, and you resort to melee only when there are no good targets left for your blasts. Most of your attack powers use Wisdon, so Wisdom should be your highest ability score. You find yourself in melee from time to time, so Dexterity is a good choice for your second-highest score. Constitution should be your thirdbest ability score. Choose powers that reflect your preference for ranged attacks.

Suggested Feat: Defensive Mobility (Human: Human Perseverance)
Suggested Skills: Dungeoneering, Inisight, Perception, Religion, Stealth
Suggested At-Will Power: essentia blast, nimble blast
Suggested Encounter Power: grasping meld
Suggested Daily Power: twist soul

Essentialist Class Features
Every Essentialist shares these class features.

Implement
Essentialists make use of a chakra focus to help channel and direct their incarnum powers. An Essentialist wearing or holding a magic chakra focus can add its enhancement bonus to the attack rolls and the damage rolls of essentialist powers, as well as essentialist paragon path powers, that have the implement keyword. Without a holy symbol, an essentialist can still use these powers, but he or she doesn’t gain the bonus provided by the magic implement.

Essentia Method
When a creature who is branded is killed its incarnum returns to an Essentialist with a benefit. Choose one of the following essentia methods and gain its benefit.

Soularm Method:
You have the soularm essentia method, and your method helps you survive melee combat. You instantly gain vitality from a branded enemy when that enemy falls. When an enemy under your soul brand is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer, you immediately gain temporary hit points equal to your level.

Soulglow Method:
You have the soulglow method, and the return of incranum from your brand reflects your focus on ranged combat. You instantly gain improved mobility from a branded enemy when that enemy falls. When an enemy under your Soul Brand is reduced to 0 hit points or fewer, you immediately can shift 4 squares, ignoring difficult terrain.

Invest Essentia
Once per encounter you can invest essentia into one of your attack soulmelds, giving it a damage or attack roll bonus equal to your constitution modifier.

Midnight Shroud
On your turn, if you move at least 3 squares away from where you started your turn, you gain concealment until the end of your next turn.

Soul Brand
Once per turn as a minor action, you can place a Soul Brand on the enemy nearest to you that you can see. A branded enemy is more vulnerable to your attacks. If you damage a branded enemy, you deal extra damage. You decide whether to apply the extra damage after making the damage roll. You can deal this extra damage once per round. A Soul Brand remains in effect until the end of the encounter, until you put a soul brand on another creature, or until the branded enemy drops to 0 hit points or fewer.

Thanks for the help!

Engilbrand

First Post
Keep going with this. Every time I look at a new class, I find myself wanting to make one. I loved the Incarnum stuff, and this looks like it's a great base. A lot of the abilities seem similar to the Warlock. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
What kinds of powers are you looking at? I'd be curious to see them.
If Incarnum is soul energy, I could see a lot of the powers doing necrotic damage and status effects like slow and stuff. Stealing life force and such.

fantasybandcamp

First Post
thanks for the feedback :)
yeah i really enjoyed the warlock boon but i wanted also liked the sneakiness of the rouge, and the dual attack methods of the rangers, melle and ranged.
Thus we have the three main abilities:
Essentia Method - which gives both a boon and seperates the two different fighting styles. so lock and ranger
Soul Brand - Which sounds more like a curse because of the boon, but also i weakened it to only being able to affect one creature at a time
Midnight Shroud - Ok...so this is pretty much shadow walk, but it promotes both builds need for moving and allows some sneakiness from the rouge. The main rouge part is the required Stealth skill and the focus on dexterity (thus the synergy between the two classes for MC)
Invest Essentia - I wanted to give the class a flair that only Incarnum could give, so i figured the ability to once a day improve attacks that was similarly potent to a channel divinity feature would allow for me to achieve this. This is one that i had trouble balancing, but im afraid the just Con modifier or 1/2 level would be much to powerful for an encounter power.

When it comes to powers...im not creative except in flavor text. :D
so my plan was to re-tool existing powers. 2 Ranger powers, making one of them a ranged spell-like attack, one Rouge power, and one Lock power. All encounters will have meld in the name, all dailys will have something more braodly to due with incarnum (prolly with a color word) and all utilities will be named like a 3.5 soulmeld would be named. As for damage types, i like the idea of necrotic/radiance/lightning being the main types of damage the attacks. Ill try and put a document together once i finish retooling the powers and maybe then u can take a look at what i've got.

Any ways you can think of better achieving my goal?

Engilbrand

First Post
Take ideas from the other classes, but not the mechanics. You've skimmed a lot already. You want this to feel new and different, not retooled. Come up with some flavor text and see if people can help you make Powers. Or, conversely, have people put down some powers and then you create the flavor text that ties it to the class. I'll try to come up with powers based on the names that you've already come up with. I don't have much experience with Strikers or class creation, so someone else might need to clean these up. As I look back, some of these might not be as high damage as they should be for a Striker. Oh well.

Slow the Soul
At-will attack 1
Melee 1
Dex vs Fort
Hit: 1W
Effect: Target subtracts your Wisdom bonus from its speed until the end of its next turn.

Midnight Strike
At-will attack 1
Melee 1
Dex vs AC
Hit: 1W + Dex Necrotic or Radiant Damage

Cunning Meld
Encounter 1, Implement
Melee 1
Wis vs Will
Hit: 1d8 + Will Lightning Damage
Effect: You may move the enemy a number of squares equal to your Wisdom bonus around your square.

Azure Trick
Daily 1, Implement
Melee 1
Wis vs Will
Hit: You have Combat Advantage. Make a second attack.
Dex vs AC
Hit: 2W + Dex + Wis and the target is dazed until the end of its next turn.

Essentia Blast
At-will attack 1, Implement
Ranged 10
Wis vs AC
Hit: 1d8 + Wis Radiant or Necrotic

Nimble Blast
At-will attack 1, Implement
Ranged 10
Wis + 2 vs Ref
Hit: 1d8 Lightning

Grasping Meld
Encounter 1, Implement
Ranged 5
Wis vs Ref
Hit: 2d6 + Wis
Effect: Target is Immobilized until the end of its next turn. Your allies have Combat Advantage.

Twist Soul
Daily 1, Implement
Ranged 5
Wis vs Will
Hit: 2d10 + Wis Necrotic
Effect: Target is dazed and takes ongoing 5 Necrotic (save ends both).

Now a Utility. I'll give mechanics. If you like it, come up with your flavor text.

Unnamed Utility
Utility 2, Daily
Immediate Reaction
Trigger: An enemy hits you.
Effect: You gain resist 5 to the attack. The enemy takes your Wisdom bonus damage.

Remove ads