• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4E. Isle of Dread. Eberron. Detail suggestions needed.

Zephrin the Lost

First Post
[FONT=&quot]If you're in GA's Corsair's campaign, read no further!

Okay, here's the setup: Eberron PC's in heroic tier looking for a powerful artifact worldfall the Isle of Dread from the Feywild into the Thunder Sea. This will be a conversion of the 1e module.

The mcguffin is in the ruins at the top of the plateau, which I am replacing with the 1e Tomb of Horrors. The tomb hides not Acereak but Vol. The dragons and elves stuck her in this crypt avoid her ever returning in any form, so it’s a prison for her and a deadly trap for any who would seek her.

Okay. Eberron, Feywild, Blood of Vol are the influences. Huge passages of time have passed since the tomb was built. The dragons and elves left to guard the place have disappeared ages ago. What are the natives on the island like? What race (or races) should they be? I want the largest group of natives to be friendly to the PC's as in the module, so they can rest/resupply etc. I’m thinking feral descendents of human slaves/craftsmen who built the crypt? They worship blood in a savage but not wholly evil way. Better or more ideas?

This is my first Eberron game and I will welcome all the advice I can get so as to truly ground this adventure in the setting. Thanks!

--Z
[/FONT]

Pbartender

First Post
Okay, here's the setup: Eberron PC's in heroic tier looking for a powerful artifact worldfall the Isle of Dread from the Feywild into the Thunder Sea. This will be a conversion of the 1e module.

The mcguffin is in the ruins at the top of the plateau, which I am replacing with the 1e Tomb of Horrors. The tomb hides not Acereak but Vol. The dragons and elves stuck her in this crypt avoid her ever returning in any form, so it’s a prison for her and a deadly trap for any who would seek her.

While I'm unfamiliar with the details of Eberron, last fall I did a seat-of-the-pants conversion of Isle of Dread to 4E.

I turned the big black pearl from Taboo Island into the Eye of Vecna -- leaving its physical description as a big black pearl.

I think I've also got notes for quick and dirty encounter conversions, if you're interested in looking at them.

Zephrin the Lost

First Post
While I'm unfamiliar with the details of Eberron, last fall I did a seat-of-the-pants conversion of Isle of Dread to 4E.

I turned the big black pearl from Taboo Island into the Eye of Vecna -- leaving its physical description as a big black pearl.

I think I've also got notes for quick and dirty encounter conversions, if you're interested in looking at them.

I would be interested. I'd like to see how other handle the various groups - phanetons, spider-folk, cat folk, etc.

Pbartender

First Post
I would be interested. I'd like to see how other handle the various groups - phanetons, spider-folk, cat folk, etc.

Mainly by substitution... I'd use the stats of a creature that had appropriate powers and abilities, and then just redescribe them. For Phanatons, for example, I just used kobolds with a Climb speed, and I used Gnoll stats for the Rakastas.

Here's my quick-and-dirty notes for the Island encounters...

ISLE OF DREAD

General Island Encounters

1. Village of Tanaroa The Native villagers are friendly, and willing to help and trade. They are afraid of the interior of the island, but may be persuaded to act as guides. It may not be initially apparent that zombies controlled by the village priestess are used as slave labor.
  2. Crocodile Bay Anyone venturing out into the bay without a boat risks being attacked by 4 Visejaw Crocodiles (p 45, MM)
  3. Sea Snake Lair Oyster beds contain dozens of valuable pearls. However, an aquatic Crushgrip Constrictor (p 240, MM) may attack.
  4. Random Encounter
  5. Caves of the Rock Baboons A foul stench and loud hoots, grunts and shrieks mark this cave complex in a crumbling cliff face. Use Giant Rat and Dire Rat stats (p 219, MM)
  6. Water Termite Lair A Chull (p 43, MM) lives in an underwater cave here. It may attack passing ships.
  7. Pirate Cove Sahuagin (p 224, MM) pirates are using the cove as a base of operations for capturing slaves and raiding nearby shipping lanes.
  8. Hippogriff Nest A nest of 2 adult and 3 fledgling Hippogriffs (p 146 MM) inhabit a nest on the highest peak of this island.
  9. Rakasta Camp The Rakastas are a small nomadic tribe of 24 gnolls (p 132, MM). They keep Hyenas (p 166, MM) as hunting pets and guard animals.
  10. Phanaton Settlement The Phanton are a tribe of 100 lemur-like arboreal humanoids. They live in tree houses connected by rope bridges. Use Kobold stats (p 168, MM), with a climb speed.
  11. Lizardmen Burrow In a dank half-flooded cave on the edge of a dense swamp live 14 Lizardfolk (p 178, MM).
  12. Neanderthal Cave Literally, 18 prehistoric cavemen hunt in these hills. Use Orc Warrior and Orc Drudge stats (p 203, MM)
  13. Harpy Aerie A nest of three Harpies (p 154, MM) claims this craggy peninsula as their own.
  14. Ettercap Coven Five Ettercaps (p 107, MM) have made a home of spiderwebs amongst the tree branches.
  15. Pteranodon Terror A half-dozen Shadowhunter Bats (p 27) attack anyone crossing the bridge.
  16. Roc’s Roost A Roc (p 220, MM) keeps a nest here with 1d4 eggs worth ~10,000 gp each.
  17. Dinosaur Peril A swarm of tiny vicious raptor-like dinosaurs have caught a native up a tree. Use Needlefang Drake Swarms (p 90, MM).
  18. Ogre’s Lair An Oni (p 200, MM) pretended to be a shipwrecked hermit lives here in a cave.
  19. Deranged Anklyosaurus A Bloodspike Behemoth (p 31, MM) has been grazing on wacky weed, and is a little bit deranged. It is also the hunting grounds of several young allosauruses. Use Rage Drake stats (p 92, MM).
  20. Dragon’s Horde A Young Red Dragon (p 82, MM) who has been raiding nearby shipping lanes keeps his treasure stash hidden in a cave.
  21. The Wretched Trogolodytes A dozen Trogolodytes (p 252, MM) have recently moved into this foul, damp burrow.
  22. Plesiosaurus Menace A very territorial plesiosaurus lives in the lake. Use Feymire Crocodile (p 45, MM) stats.
  23. Random Encounter
  24. The Sea Hydra This Fen Hydra (p 164, MM) attacks any ship passing through this hex.

theodudek

First Post
[FONT=&quot]Okay, here's the setup: Eberron PC's in heroic tier looking for a powerful artifact worldfall the Isle of Dread from the Feywild into the Thunder Sea. This will be a conversion of the 1e module.
[/FONT]

Hmm... at first it seems weird, but actually I think using the Isle of Dread in Eberron is an excellent mix. ^^ The Isle of Dread has sort of a colonial-era "exploring the wild Southern islands" feel, after all, so it is super-appropriate to Eberron which is basically an industrial-age fantasy setting. Sorry I don't have more immediate advice, but I just wanted to say I'm interested! ^^

Theo

Remove ads