4E Keep your Shadowfell- A story (three) hours.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Keep your Shadowfell- A story (three) hours.

And so here we go with 4e, playing with the usual gang on a break from our normal campaign (the Goodman Gang), a week spent converting various maps et al from Keep on the Shadowfell into RPTools, our on-line tabletop gaming device of choice.

The players have had a week to browse their characters, read the rules booklet and get ready for the big day when 4e finally arrives…

And so after an hour or so of re-reading the rules, via Skype, making sure we’ve got everything clear we begin.

I’m not going to write this up like my other Story Hours for one simple reason, read on, you’ll see.

Encounter 1- Kobold’s in the road.

And so to the first encounter, my players play along, even though they know that the ambush is coming, they’re suddenly confronted with a map of a dirt track, their players on the road- what else could it be, as I say they play along.

And what do you know, a band of Kobold Brigands (actually Minions) leap out on them- gasps of surprise all round. The five Kobold Minions roll crap initiative and the players, bar one, get the drop on them.

And exactly six seconds later four of the five Minions are dead. Then from the bushes emerge a further two Kobolds- a Dragonshield and a Slinger- now that’s more like it.

Our Halfling Rogue is hit by a Firepot and goes all flamey for a moment. The Dragonborn Paladin and Dwarven Fighter tramp over to the Dragonshield Kobold and begin to hack chunks out of the thing, that is until the Paladin is glued to the spot, this time a Gluepot from the Kobold Slinger.

It doesn’t take long however, the Dragonshield proves a little pesky, he keeps backing away when the Fighter types get in range (rather adjacent), he’s soon cut down though- the artillery does much of the work- Magic Missiles and Holy Lances. The Halfling Rogue also manages to get his sneak attack in. The Slinger is likewise brought low- more missile and magic.

The fight lasts four rounds, twenty minutes of play.

The players are happy, content with their lot, although still very suspicious of their new skills, the Wizard is loving his spell capability, some of the others are not so sure.

It needs to be said that the Fighter, Paladin and the Rogue all use their Daily skills in the fight.

The Village- Winterhaven.

They head into the village of Winterhaven, discover everything that needs to be discovered, I’ve mixed up all three of the Hooks- with a tiny nudge they decide to head off to confront the Kobolds, to stop the predations of the Bandits on the old King’s Road.

The next day their on the trail again.

Encounter 2. Ambush-u-like.

The scenario calls for a Perception check DC25, am I missing something here, DC25- the character with the highest perception score, from memory, has +5- so they need to roll a natural 20 to avoid the surprise round. I abandon this idea, the players have already stated that they are wary- they expect another ambush. I reduce the Perception check to DC15, I’m a nice guy.

Nobody spots the ambush.

And out of the undergrowth come three Dragonshield Kobolds, and a Skirmisher that dances back into the undergrowth looking for a way round to the back of the PC group, away from the heavily armed and armoured warriors. And at the back the Kobold Wyrmpriest- looking all terrifying in his Dragon-mask.

The Dragonshield hit the Dwarven Fighter twice- the Priest is forced to get in with the healing. The Rogue soon after gets smashed by the Skirmisher, a critical, and enough to take the Halfling into negative Hit Points, he plays his Second Chance Encounter Power, and the re-roll comes up “20” again- some days. The Half-Elf Cleric intervenes and turns the critical into a normal hit- Armour of Bahamut.

One of the Dragonshield Kobolds is cut down.

Soon after, after the Dwarven Fighter and the Halfling Rogue have used their Action Points to get Second Winds, however the pair are cut down again- both onto negative Hit Points. The Half-Elf Priest is on his way and soon after has used up all of his Healing skills, abilities, the lot.

A round later and the Dwarf and the Halfling are back into negative Hit Points, it’s not working.

So we’re ten rounds in- two PCs down, no Healing Surges left (they are once/Encounter aren’t they), the Priest has used everything he has, but this is a Play Test, and only the second encounter- the players are not running, particularly as the bodies of their fallen comrades are still in the mix.

Of those left standing, the Wizard and Cleric are on full hit points, the Paladin has ten or so.

The bad guys- one Dragonshield is on full Hit Points, one is half-dead, one is dead. The Skirmisher is teetering on the brink and the Wyrmpriest hasn’t taken a hit, he also hasn’t been anywhere near the fight- content to fire Acid Orbs and Incite the attackers.

It all sloooooooows down, turns into a chess match.

The second Dragonshield gets dead.

Then the Skirmisher.

Mostly the Wizard and Cleric with the artillery.

The third Kobold Dragonshield is badly wounded.

Then the Dragonborn Paladin is reduced to negative Hit Points.

In the meantime the Half-Elf Priest has stabilised the Dwarven Fighter, and the Halfling Rogue has failed three saving throws and is really DEAD.

Which just leaves us with the spell casters versus one Dragonshield and the Wyrmpriest.

The Dragonshield takes a double whammy and hits the deck- phew, just the Wyrmpriest left, who fancies it and hops forward into the mix- which gets the players attention, the Cleric has to get close, his spells only have a range of 5 squares. By now the PCs on their feet are on low Hit Points.

Soon after they’re dead.

The Wyrmpriest has lost about a dozen Hit Points in total.

TPK.

Now let me provide some context, I have been playing and DMing D&D (and lots of other games) for twenty-six years, I’ve never had a TPK before, I know that makes me due one, it nearly happened with the Lost Boys (one of my other Story Hours). I’m a narrative sort of DM, I don’t punish players for trying something, I sometimes fudge dice rolls, although that’s hard to do using RPTools, all my rolls are Macros so the players can see what’s going on. I don’t fudge rolls often however, perhaps one/session- maximum.

We all read through the rules before hand, everyone around the table has at least one degree in something, so we’re not stupid, several of the players were tabletop players and wargamers previously. We’ve been playing on RPTools for a while now, so we’ve grown used to the system. The group have been playing together (most weeks) for the last four years, and I’ve been DMing some of them for… well, 26 years.

The session lasted nearly three hours in total-

20 minutes- for the first encounter.
40 minutes- in Winterhaven.
1 hour 45 minutes- for the second encounter, approx. 18 turns (I stopped counting at 15).

There were only two natural 20s all game, I got both of them- they were both cancelled out by players Skills (see above).

All the players used their Healing Surges, all the other healing available got used, all of the players used their Daily and Encounter skills up.

Otherwise my players didn’t roll low, I didn’t particularly roll high for the bad guys, my players didn’t do anything bad from a tactics point-of-view, except not take down the Wyrmpriest, but I played him hard to get, and put the Dragonshields in their way every time the players tried to get to him. The artillery had a go at him but they quickly had problems of their own.

My point is this, I’m really not convinced by 4e, I’m playing the same scenario again with my Whiterock group this Sunday, fingers crossed.

I’m not sold on it. As for my players then three of them have said that they would definitely not want to start a 4e campaign, and two of these have been through every version of D&D (and bought plenty of stuff along the way) with me.

I sent the rules booklet out to the next lot of players, one has already indicated that he doesn’t want to play a 4e campaign.

Any suggestions as to what we’re doing wrong? Any comments…

Cheers Paul

Joachim

First Post
Another one from Jollydoc's group...and I have to agree with them. The Keep on the Shadowfell felt very dicey, meaning you had to roll really well to do anything well. But the main crux that we had with the game was what your group ran into - a very very very bad healing mechanic, one that will plague any 4e game.

If the cleric (i.e. the healer) cannot heal, and each PC is only capable of healing himself 1/4 of his hitpoints then there will be many TPKs that will happen to 4e groups. Moral of the story: If you are going to switch to 4e, don't get too attached to your character.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Goonalan said:
Any suggestions as to what we’re doing wrong?

Not updating the Goodman Gang story hour fast enough ;)

'Sfunny, I went and looked up the rave reviews that Keep on the Border Shadowfell has been getting, but they don't seem to have played it further than you got to.

I haven't played it, have no particular axe to grind against 4e, but two ambushes by kobolds as the first encounters aren't the most exciting or original thing that the writers could have done. Perhaps the idea is to showcase how monster types work in 4e by using a typical situation, but it sounds a bit tedious. Perhaps if the second encounter was set up less of an ambush and more of a meeting on the road, to allow players to act instead of react?

Cerulean_Wings

First Post
Meh, sounds like a case of tough luck from the dice rolls to me. I've read playtests of 4e groups overrunning dungeons like a knife through hot butter, but again, it's because of lucky rolls for the most part.

I haven't played that far ahead in the module, so I don't really know if it's well balanced or not. And really, suggesting to switch editions from 4e to Pathfinder because of a TPK... really, if you don't like 4e, fine, but be a bit less drastic in your suggestions. For instance, making a house rule for healing. Characters can use a second wind once per encounter, but their healing surges can be used as long as they have them.

I'll let you know what my group thinks once we reach the tough fight.

WarEagleMage

First Post
My playtest experience was that players who were familiar with MMORPGs and how the tank, blaster, buffer, etc., roles worked had more success. Once we started using our WoW and City of Heroes tactics, we were cruising. The problem was...we enjoy our MMOs, but we also enjoy playing D&D (I still have my little blue d20 from the Red Box). 4e just didn't feel like D&D. Now I haven't played higher level 4e obviously, but at least at the early levels the basic archetypes are locked into the MMO type roles with very little room for variation. My group is giving Pathfinder a try to see how we like it. Of course, we all have enough 3.5 material on our shelves to last us quite a while...at least until 4.5 or so. ;)

JollyDoc

Explorer
Cerulean_Wings said:
And really, suggesting to switch editions from 4e to Pathfinder because of a TPK... really, if you don't like 4e, fine, but be a bit less drastic in your suggestions. For instance, making a house rule for healing. Characters can use a second wind once per encounter, but their healing surges can be used as long as they have them.

I actually wasn't suggesting to make the switch based on the TPK. I was basing it on my personal experience, and that of my group, with playtesting this exact same adventure. We did not have a TPK. We just disliked the system so much that we stopped playing out of sheer boredom. I'm not at liberty to go into all the details of why we decided to forgoe 4E, because we're still under a nondisclosure agreement, but please don't think I was rabidly anti-4E from day 1. In fact, Joachim and I were pretty excited when we heard the announcement at GenCon, and even more so when we earned the right to be playtesters. It wasn't until we actually started the playtesting process that the cold reality hit us...this was not D&D. At least not our D&D. No sour grapes intended. I wish WoTC the best of luck, in all honesty, but I think for those of us who still remember the feel of our favorite tabletop RPG, then Pathfinder is a wonderful, well conceived and well thought out alternative.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Well I plyed the game with the Whiterock Gang, see my Story Hour, and using RPTools and I would have to say that... well, they loved it- for the most part. At the end one of the players said, it's not D&D- it's Vandal Hearts the RPG, which everyone around the on-line gaming table grinning- ah such fond memories.

Who knows if it'll last, we got through three encounters and a heavy roleplay session (maybe an hour long) in four hours- which is v. slow for these players, 10-30 years RPG experience each, which was a pain. I guess this will improve however I don't see it being anywhere near as quick (for us) as D&D 3.5e combat (with homebrew rules).

Funnily enough the MMORPG player had the biggest problem with it, at present he's the only dissenter, mitigating circumstances are that he forgot we were even playtesting 4e and hadn't bothered to look at the rules I sent or the pre-gens.

So we're going again, at least to the end of the KOTS, they are about to duke it out with Irontooth and his buddies, another probable TPK encounter (according to these forums), although know I feel confident, more confident.

When this lot play D&D they hardly divulge a word of their PCs abilities, class skills et al, in 4e (and for no known reason) they suddenly started advising and helping each other, almost brought a tear to my eye...

There may even be a story hour here.

Grab'Nik Dragonborn Paladin of Bahamut
Pik-Nik Half-Elven Priestess of... I can't remember.
Shazaam Human "Artillery" Wizard
Noblie Neez Dwarven Fighter
And Dave, Halfling Rogue to the Stars.

Yes... there's a story in there, providing they stay alive a little longer.

Cheers

Remove ads