• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

4e Launch minus fanfare

sheibeck

First Post
I'm soooo disappointed. 4e launch is today and where is all the pomp and circumstance? All we got on the D&D site is a bunch of preview links for DDI and a coming soon. I thought today was supposed to be the soon part. You know, today, June 6th, 2008. The official release date of D&D 4e. The thing we've all been enamored with all these long months.

(sigh)

Fortunately, I'm a software developer, and I know the pain they are feeling right now. Unfortunately, I also know that if they're lucky they'll have a stable version of the compendium up and running by the end of the month. It's going to be up and down like a squeaky teeter totter till then. I hate computers :D

Kzach

Banned
Banned
They flumphed it and they know it.

Therefore low-key is the best way they could probably diffuse the inevitable suxxorz uproar.

Very disappointed though, I must say.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
Did anyone really expect anything different? WotC and anything electronic have been complete busts since the days when dwarven women still had beards.

But I am immensely underwhelmed on DDI. Just a bunch of crap we already knew about? Nothing - not even Dragon or Dungeon - to show?

My lord, that's an embarrassing failure.

Wis

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
We've known for months that DDI was being delayed. I'd much, much have the site working beautifully and bug-free than have a rushed and buggy launch.

Mind you, I'm not happy about it. But it seems the lesser of the two evils.

Last edited:

sheibeck

First Post
Yes, tomorrow is the official game day. Just frustrating when the countdown was 1 day yesterday, and then today they bumped the date to June 7 and the countdown still says 1 day. If they bump it again tomorrow I'm going to revolt. :p

catsclaw227

First Post
Piratecat said:
We've known for months that DDI was being delayed. I'd much, much have the site working beautifully and bug-free than have a rushed and buggy launch.

Mind you, I'm not happy about it. But it seems the lesser of the two evils.

This.

I want the DDI tools to work well. Waiting a week or even a month is a no brainer for me.

Do we know what kinds of delays we should expect?

chriton227

Explorer
I'm not surprised that DDI isn't completed on Launch Day. I am suprised that it is so far behind that they couldn't launch any part of it on Launch Day. I'm hoping that they are building the various components in a very loosely coupled fashion, so new components can be added and existing components can be upgraded without requiring major changes in the other existing components. If that is the case, they should be able to release components as they are completed. If none of the components are in a launch-ready state, then the delay will probably be measured in months, not days. They didn't even manage to get a printable character sheet posted for launch day.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
Right.

So the techno aspects aren't ready. That was known and, while unfortunate, seemingly understood.

But why not a digital version of Dragon and Dungeon?

Wis

Remove ads