• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[4e] Metallic Dragons

Nahat Anoj

First Post
(I crossposted this to RPGnet)

I pulled the "Young Adamantine Dragon" in an Against the Giants box for D&D minis. It's a pretty neat fig - it's breath weapon does thunder damage, with an AC reducing secondary effect, and it's a Soldier solo monster. Strangely enough IMO it has fire resistance 15 - I wonder if it's a typo?

That adamantine dragons were Soldiers came as a surprise to me, so I got to wondering what else we know about 4e metallic dragons. The stats don't mention a second breath weapon, so I wonder if 4e metallics will have two breath weapons or not. In addition, I suspect that the five monster roles will be covered by the five metallics, just as the five chromatics each correspond to one of the five monster roles.

IIRC, W&M mentioned that Iron Dragons were Brutes. I don't know what their breath weapon could be, though.

My gut feeling is that copper dragons, having been tricksters in editions past, will be Lurkers. I think they'll breathe acid that may have a slowing secondary effect.

Golds will probably breathe fire, perhaps having a weakening side effect. Traditionally, golds have been the most lordly of the metallics, so I can see them being Controllers.

I'm pretty sure silver dragons will breath cold, maybe with a paralyzing or stunning secondary effect. My guess is that it will be an Artillery monster - my conception of silver dragons has always been one where they tend to stay out of straight up fights.

I know a "Capricious Copper Dragon" and a "Young Silver Dragon" were released in the Desert of Desolation and the Dungeons of Dread sets, respectively. Does anyone have these minis? If so, could you chime in and see if my guesses are correct?

icarusfallz

First Post
Traditionally Metallic Dragons have always had two breath weapons. One is usually damage, while the other had a slow or sleep type effect (or various other "status ailments").

Nahat Anoj

First Post
I, too, am curious how these dragons will manifest in 4E. What more does anyone know?
Someone in my RPGnet thread pointed me to the DDM stat cards on WotC's site:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mi/20080410a

There's a "Young Silver Dragon" in Dungeons of Dread that is a Brute(!!!) and has a cold breath weapon with an immobilize secondary effect. That silver dragons could be Brutes is somewhat of a surprise to me - I always got a feeling that they were more subtle, more diplomatic sorts of dragons. But, at least as combat goes, it looks like they're going with a more "in your face" take.

Desert of Desolation doesn't have RPG stats, so were out of luck with respect to the Capricious Copper Dragon. I actually now think that copper dragons will be Skirmisher monsters instead of Lurkers.

Has it been confirmed that they be in the 4e MMII?
I don't think so, but my gut feeling is that they will appear in the MM 2.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That silver dragons could be Brutes is somewhat of a surprise to me - I always got a feeling that they were more subtle, more diplomatic sorts of dragons.

Hm. Note that it is a young silver dragon. Not an adult, not fully grown, not worldly-wise. Is it too odd to think that they change roles as they get older?

F5

Explorer
Hm. Note that it is a young silver dragon. Not an adult, not fully grown, not worldly-wise. Is it too odd to think that they change roles as they get older?

Do the Chromatics change role as they age? (Honest question...don;t have the MM handy, and I don;t recall offhand)

I wonder if any of the Metallics will still have the ability to take on human form...the old man at the back of the Tavern really being a polymorphed Silver Dragon was one of my favorite little tropes of previous editions. I hope it translates...though I'm doubtful it will. Polymorph is just extra "noise" in the dragons' design...like Blasphemy and Meteor Swarm was for the Pit Fiends. I'm sure it will get cut, as unnecessary for the Dragon to fill its' role.

Eh...Maybe I can use a Ritual to mimic the effect.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Do the Chromatics change role as they age? (Honest question...don;t have the MM handy, and I don;t recall offhand)
No, with the exception of the young green, which is a skirmisher, rather than a controller, like the older greens.

Of course, that actually supports Umbran's theory that the young silver may have a different role from the old silver. Perhaps brute vs. controller?

Remove ads